Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium 2.5i
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 4,267 miles I decided to change oil and see if that affected the noise. When I removed the oil filter I was shocked that it was bone dry. I have a 2014 Crosstrek and used to own a 2014 Forester, both of which retained the oil in the filter and never had any startup noises.

I changed my OEM oil filter to a FRAM XG7317 Ultra Synthetic and used Mobile 1 0-20w synthetic oil. MY STARTUP NOISE IS GONE.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Convenience
1,319 Posts
OK... Not really sure how you expect an upside down filter to not drain. If it did not, it would make quite a mess when you remove the filter. And on top of the mess, it would be bad because there is a big chance the oil will pick up dirt from around the filter cup and drain it into the engine.

So, I'll bet when you remove your Fram filter, it'll be not full of oil. Can't comment on anything about the noise since we have no idea what noise you were hearing.

** Saw the posts below, I guess "dry" depends on point of view. Seems I had the flow backwards in my head!**

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,307 Posts
*Mobil

Sounds like the antidrainback valve on the filter you had was not operating properly.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,711 Posts
decent filters have 'anti-drainback' valves in them - exactly how much oil they retain, I dunno but, perhaps you had a filter with an internal failure?

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,716 Posts
Silicon is found in the premium anti-drainback valves and nitrile in lower quality. The factory filters do not use silicon.

It's all the price point.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts