Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, my wife and i are going to be picking up a new (to us) vehicle this spring. The front runner is either a 2016 limited with all options or 2017 limited/touring with all options. All 20k miles or less and certified pre owned with 2.5L. I’m leaning toward the 2017 touring or limited because of the addition of RAB on 2017 models. I’ve been obsessing over this and researching for months.

My question to you owners/experts is this. What are the know issues with the 2016/2017 2.5 CVT outbacks? Are the any reasons to avoid this vehicle? My friend has a few year old forester with 2.5 and it burns oil very frequently... has this been an issue with the outbacks?

There are countless reasons i love the outback. Safety, comfort, capability, reliability, versatility, ect... i just want to make sure there isn’t a big issue that i have missed in my research.

I’ve been stalking this forum for a few weeks and haven’t found anything yet except for a few small issues that seem far between.

Thank you all for the help!

Happy new year... and i hope 2018 brings us a Dark blue or Wilderness green 2017 touring outback :wink2:

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
My '15 OB 2.5 uses no oil. My wife's '14 Forester 2.5 did use a quart between changes. Her '17 Forester 2.5 does not.

Subaru seems to have resolved that issue.

Reactions: 2006kj

·
Registered
2019 OB 3.6R Limited, and 4 VW TDI bugs.
122 Posts
I had a 2016 limited but traded it in for a 2018. Should have kept it actually. Used no oil and did 30mpg pretty consistently. It was a great car for us.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The oil issue was infuse solved a few years ago and has not been a problem since then. I have a 17 Touring and really like it. The interior color is striking and I get a lot of compliments. Whatever you get make sure you get eyesight. It is the single best option I have ever had on a car. I had no idea I would like it, in fact I was against it until I drove with it a while. Now I will never have a car without this feature set.

Mine is the 2.5 and gets good mileage and has acceptable acceleration up to around 50. But from 50mph on its no hotrod for sure.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The oil issue was infuse solved a few years ago and has not been a problem since then. I have a 17 Touring and really like it. The interior color is striking and I get a lot of compliments. Whatever you get make sure you get eyesight. It is the single best option I have ever had on a car. I had no idea I would like it, in fact I was against it until I drove with it a while. Now I will never have a car without this feature set.

Mine is the 2.5 and gets good mileage and has acceptable acceleration up to around 50. But from 50mph on its no hotrod for sure.
Thanks for your input. I was in the subi dealer looking at Crosstreks until i saw the touring outbacks interior in the showroom. After that i was sold haha. The eyesight is actually another huge reason why i want a Subaru. Out of all the manufacturers the eyesight is always top in safety and function tests. Plus that adaptive cruise makes it so much less taxing on long drives!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had a 2016 limited but traded it in for a 2018. Should have kept it actually. Used no oil and did 30mpg pretty consistently. It was a great car for us.
Why did you trade in the 2016? For the most part it seems android auto/apple car play and RAB would be the biggest changes between those years. Glad to hear your 2016 was a good car!

·
Registered
2017 Outback Touring 3.6R - Pearl Brown
51 Posts
I have a 17 Touring and really like it. The interior color is striking and I get a lot of compliments. Whatever you get make sure you get eyesight. It is the single best option I have ever had on a car. I had no idea I would like it, in fact I was against it until I drove with it a while. Now I will never have a car without this feature set.

I agree... I have a 2017 Touring 3.6, The Java interior and the roof rails and side chrome sold me. I too did not appreciate Eyesight until I had it for a week. Now it's one of my favorite features. Great on trips and especially in traffic jams to automate crawling behind the car in front of you.

I live in NorCal and never thought I'd need a heated steering wheel, but I find myself using it ever night this winter. Very cozy and warm when your hands are cold.

The black roof rails on every other model seem large and clunky. This is what originally attracted me to the Touring. The sleek silver roof rails and the Thule Aero crossbars are more attractive to my eye. I also use a Thule roof-mounted ski box, and it all works well together and looks great.

Get the Touring!

Reactions: 2006kj

·
Registered
60 Posts
Solid reliable cars not in first year of new model, so go for it. Might look at the tires on the two specs... the OEM tires can leave a bit to be desired, if either has new and good tires, could be a hedging point. We have a 2018 Legacy with RAB and a 2015 Outback eyesight w/o, and while nice enough feature, would not be a dealbreaker since eyesight package still has rear cross traffic alert and it's such a rare event.

Those terrible OEM tires actually had me pretty dissatisfied with the '15 OB for a couple of years, and I've only come to completely love this vehicle after re-equipping with Michelin Primacy, amazing what a difference good tires can make. Already 70k miles and no problems whatsoever beyond that.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Limited Titanium
530 Posts
My 2016 Limited that I bought new in April 2016 has been flawless. No oil consumption with my 2.5 engine. I have 40K miles and have replaced the OE tires with Generals and super happy with my OB. I don’t plan to trade her in anytime soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 OB 3.6R Limited, and 4 VW TDI bugs.
122 Posts
Why did you trade in the 2016? For the most part it seems android auto/apple car play and RAB would be the biggest changes between those years. Glad to hear your 2016 was a good car!
Good question. I got the 2018 for my mom and then my wife drove the 2018 and really liked the CarPlay thing, the improved backup camera and other minor stuff so we traded her 2016 in for another 2018. She thinks it was worth it. Me, not so much.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the helpful replies. Just what i expected... no real complaints or common problems with 2016/2017 outbacks. Looks like 20k mile or less 2017 tourings are starting to dip below 30k so that may be the ticket if i can find one certified pre-owned for that price. Although i could probably save $4,000 and buy a low mileage certified 2016 full option limited. The brown leather, heated wheel, RAB, and extra year of warranty might be worth the $4k.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts