Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2013 XV Crosstrek
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a 2017 vs 2018 outback. I've been told that there are some changes to the 2018 model that make it a better vehicle: 1- Laminated acoustic glass in front windshield and front side windows with smaller mirrors = less noise. 2- Increased sound deadening in rear tire wells. 3- Adjustments to the suspension for better ride quality. 4- Adjustments to the steering of better handling. 5- Smaller links on the CVT transmission chain with adjustments to the transmission help reduce noise and improve the performance. 6- Improved A/C system for better and faster cooling.
So the question is... Are these changes noticeable to the average guy trying to choose between a 2017 vs 2018 Outback?

P.S. I'm looking at the 3.6R motor for both years.

Take care

870Wing

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5 Limited
143 Posts
Looking at a 2017 vs 2018 outback. I've been told that there are some changes to the 2018 model that make it a better vehicle: 1- Laminated acoustic glass in front windshield and front side windows with smaller mirrors = less noise. 2- Increased sound deadening in rear tire wells. 3- Adjustments to the suspension for better ride quality. 4- Adjustments to the steering of better handling. 5- Smaller links on the CVT transmission chain with adjustments to the transmission help reduce noise and improve the performance. 6- Improved A/C system for better and faster cooling.
So the question is... Are these changes noticeable to the average guy trying to choose between a 2017 vs 2018 Outback?

P.S. I'm looking at the 3.6R motor for both years.

Take care

870Wing
Whats easier?

1. Drive them back to back to generate your own opinion

or

2. Listen to everyone's opinion on here

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
971 Posts
I don't have any experience with a 2017 Outback, but I did have a '17 Forester 2.5 Premium as a rental for a couple of months. Don't know if that's a fair comparison, but here's my .02. My 2018 is a very quiet car, and I believe you are correct about new glass. I won't compare the two for ride, but the Outback is very comfortable. Since i have the 3.6R, it might not be a fair CVT comparison, but I honestly rarely even notice I'm driving a CVT because it's so smooth and quiet. I bought the car at the end of Nov, so haven't tested the A/C much yet. But The A/C in the Forester was quite good.

I had my choice between the 17 and 18 when I bought mine. I didn't hesitate going with the 2018, because of numerous updates, such as Apple Car Play/Android Auto. Not certain if the heated steering wheel was available in the '17, but that was another factor for me.

·
Registered
18 Outback 3.6r Touring
598 Posts
We test drove both back in October. The dealer had the exact matching trim, 3.6 Touring, and color options. For the test drive both seem to handle the same, drove the same, and had the same level of comfort and quietness on back roads and highway. Of course these were both brand new. But I suppose after 6 months and 5-10K miles when things loosen up and break in you might notice a difference. At the time the prices were the same, there was no incentive or discount offered if we took the '17 over the '18. The selling point for us, or more my wife, was the addition of the apple car play available in the '18.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Looked at both. Had a tight budget but I found out once you know about all the new features on the 2018 it is tough not to go with the 2018. I went with the 2018 with the 0% apr.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Premium
20 Posts
Test drive both to get the best real feel for what works for you. Some people notice upgrades that you listed, others do not. And of course the pricing comes into play too. I just bought a used 2015, and I was comparing against 2014s and 2013s. For me, the upgrades in the 2015 made it worth paying just a little more and looking for the right used car. Of course the change from 2014 -> 2015 was a more major change than 2017 -> 2018. Either way you can't go wrong; best of luck and enjoy!!!

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Limited, Wilderness Green; 2018 Outback 2.5i Limited, Crimson Red Pearl
198 Posts
They Are Different - You Choose

We have both a 2016 and 2018 Limited. I think the 2017 is very comparable to the 2016. My impressions are below. But you need to test drive them both and make your own decision.

1. The 2018 is quieter and the Blind Spot indicator in the new mirrors are much better.

2. The 2016's handling is much more controlled, in my opinion. The 2018 feels secure enough and is a softer ride, but it's not as planted feeling as the 2016. Now, understand that I raced cars for 35 years, so I'm pretty particular about my car's handling characteristics. That means that I am willing to give up just a bit of a cushy ride for the more precise handling of the 2016. The 2016 feels perfect to me and I have driven it on an over 4,000 mile trip for two weeks from California to Washington and back. With over 45,000 miles on it, comfort has never in question.

3. To amplify the handling issue, we also had a 2012 Limited. The first thing I did was add a 19mm sway bar to the back to control the loosy goosy feeling on on-ramps, etc. When I got the 2016, I was pleasantly surprised that it did not need a stiffer rear bar and it is still all stock. A week after I got the 2018 to replace my wife's 2012, I put a 19mm sway bar on it. That helped, but it is still a little too mushy in the handling area for me. But my wife loves it and I can certainly stand to drive it, it's just not my ideal setup.

4. I haven't notice any significant change in the CVT.

5. I can't say I've noticed a large change in the AC's cooling capability. Living in the east county of San Diego, we have a few months of 85 to 100+ degree weather, so I think if it was a vast improvement, it would be apparent. But to be fair, it hasn't been over 90 degrees since we got it, so I can't be positive.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited Eyesight - Remote Start - Auto Dimming In/Outside Mirrors
245 Posts
Unless you can get a screaming deal on a '17 ... I say go for the '18.

·
Registered
2010/2016 outback
908 Posts
My ears could not tell a difference in quietness between my 16 loaded LTD and a 18 Premium I drove. I will agree in the blind side indicators(17 Impreza) are better. New grill and extra rear clading are always up to the individual. Again, If infotainment is your thing the 18 with the addition of ACP and AA are much nicer. Personally, Given my experience with the new SGP(17 Impreza sport)I would wait for Gen 6

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R, 2013 Porsche Boxster S
30 Posts
I would say, at this point in time, the remaining inventory of 2017 OB 3.6R should be discounted $1.5K or $2K over the 2018. If anything, the 2017 model is already a year old, and you will take a bigger hit in resale value vs 2018.

The 2018 is a better car, but the upgrades over the 2017 model aren't huge. Comes down to price. Shop around. Don't be afraid to give dealers an aggressive offer on 2017, they really want the last remaining ones moved. Your strategy could be to get some quotes on 2018 models, then offer $1.5K-2K less on the 2017 from best quote.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5 Limited
143 Posts
I would say, at this point in time, the remaining inventory of 2017 OB 3.6R should be discounted $1.5K or $2K over the 2018. If anything, the 2017 model is already a year old, and you will take a bigger hit in resale value vs 2018.

The 2018 is a better car, but the upgrades over the 2017 model aren't huge. Comes down to price. Shop around. Don't be afraid to give dealers an aggressive offer on 2017, they really want the last remaining ones moved. Your strategy could be to get some quotes on 2018 models, then offer $1.5K-2K less on the 2017 from best quote.
I got my 2017 for $3k less than the same 2018 model. They were also offering the same discount on the 3.6R but I didnt pull the trigger fast enough and they sold all the 3.6's in my area.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Go with the 2018. I traded my 17 and it’s world difference. So much quieter, less road noise, led ‘moving headlights, better stability. You’ll love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Outback Touring 3.6
79 Posts
Did the 2018 add lights to the control/switches where the lift gate button is? It annoys the heck out of me at night because you cant see it.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
971 Posts
Did the 2018 add lights to the control/switches where the lift gate button is? It annoys the heck out of me at night because you cant see it.
I don't think so, but without my reading glasses on I might just not be able to see it. :wink2:

·
Read Only
453 Posts
I would always get the newer one unless you get a big discount on the older one. Although the 2017 may be new , its also a year old. The depreciation is pretty significant the fist 1-2 years. The typical discount on the new and latest one is $3k off the window sticker. I would want $6-$8k off the 2017 window sticker. Its only fair, you are buying a year old car, and if its a demo then add another $3k.

·
Registered
24 Posts
X-lent review

We have both a 2016 and 2018 Limited. I think the 2017 is very comparable to the 2016. My impressions are below. But you need to test drive them both and make your own decision.

1. The 2018 is quieter and the Blind Spot indicator in the new mirrors are much better.

2. The 2016's handling is much more controlled, in my opinion. The 2018 feels secure enough and is a softer ride, but it's not as planted feeling as the 2016. Now, understand that I raced cars for 35 years, so I'm pretty particular about my car's handling characteristics. That means that I am willing to give up just a bit of a cushy ride for the more precise handling of the 2016. The 2016 feels perfect to me and I have driven it on an over 4,000 mile trip for two weeks from California to Washington and back. With over 45,000 miles on it, comfort has never in question.

3. To amplify the handling issue, we also had a 2012 Limited. The first thing I did was add a 19mm sway bar to the back to control the loosy goosy feeling on on-ramps, etc. When I got the 2016, I was pleasantly surprised that it did not need a stiffer rear bar and it is still all stock. A week after I got the 2018 to replace my wife's 2012, I put a 19mm sway bar on it. That helped, but it is still a little too mushy in the handling area for me. But my wife loves it and I can certainly stand to drive it, it's just not my ideal setup.

4. I haven't notice any significant change in the CVT.

5. I can't say I've noticed a large change in the AC's cooling capability. Living in the east county of San Diego, we have a few months of 85 to 100+ degree weather, so I think if it was a vast improvement, it would be apparent. But to be fair, it hasn't been over 90 degrees since we got it, so I can't be positive.
Not over the top in luv with my 2016 OB 2.5 but your knowledgeable review make me appreciate the car more.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Touring WG/JB
148 Posts
I don't think so, but without my reading glasses on I might just not be able to see it. :wink2:
My '18 3.6R Touring has that lighting (red).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Powdernation hit it spot on.
You'll see more depreciation on the 17 as its already a year old before it leaves the lot. If you plan on keeping the car for 5-6 years then its really a non issue. They both will likely only be worth 35% of new retail price. If your purchase is only value based, I'd try to find a 17 optioned the way I wanted as long as I could get the current 0% APR.

I'd be looking at it like this, Can you find a 17 optioned the way you want it? For me I won't settle on a car not optioned to the spec I want.

Cheers

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R, 2013 Porsche Boxster S
30 Posts
I actually almost bought a 2017 3.6R few months back. I shopped around (lowballed?) for a 2017 model at dealers in my area, and obtained a great quote. Good thing I cooled off on the offer and held off on buying 2017. I then expanded my search to other nearby areas within an hour flight and focused on a deal for a 2018. Ended up getting one for less than a grand more than that first offer...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts