2018 Outback 2.5i Touring
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

2018 2.5i
2" LP Aventure lift
245/65R17 Falken Wildpeaks
Curt hidden hitch receiver
Hopkins 4-7 way trailer adapter plug
Currently no brake controller installed (Coming soon)

2020 Intech Flyer Chase
Unloaded weight: ~1200#
tongue weight: ~200#
Height of trailer: 6'2"

So far our outback tows this setup just fine. Recently did a 100mi. trip to our local desert and not one hiccup while towing including a very long steep twisty climb. Driving gingerly, our engine oil temp stayed under 250 degrees during the climb and ambient air temps at the time were ~50-45 degrees. I would not attempt that in the warmer months for obvious reasons. I need to get a scan gauge to monitor trans temps for our next trip. Flat highway towing tends to buck the car quite a bit regardless of load inside the trailer but Im thinking that will diminish to some degree with the brake controller installed and working.

Anyway just wanted to share our setup and show that our outbacks can get the job done. The Intech Flyer Chase is perfect for our needs, I would recommend to anyone who wants a small, well built and light trailer.

We have a long trip planned to Tahoe this year so it will be interesting to see how it will do. Possibly looking at a Aux Trans cooler to be added depending on what my readings are. Also if you plan to tow frequently then more frequent Diff services are in order which we will be performing.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I think I know what you are talking about. I believe that the "bucking" sensation is the slack/articulation due to the ball/hitch setup. This is the first towing vehicle/trailer I've dealt with, so I assumed it's a normal result of towing. I have a brake controller and I would figure that would prevent the trailer's inertia from affecting the vehicle on slow down, but you'd still feel the sensation on acceleration.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Touring
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a similar problem and installed an anti rattle device on the hitch. Amazon.com: MAXXHAUL 50023 Tightener Anti Rattle Stabilizer for 1.25" to 2" Hitches: Automotive

I also have a brake controller and tow a scamp trailer about 1500 pounds.

Im currently in the process of wiring the brake controller to the outback and I want to confirm the correct wire to tap into from the brake switch to the red wire coming from the brake controller. Can you post a photo here of the wire you tapped into?

did you have any issues at all with the electronics in the car after the install?

This would be a huge help thank you in advance!

·
Registered
1 Posts
What is the hitch size that you both used with this set up? Doe it require a 2 inch hitch or does 1.25 work? Thanks!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Stick with the 2". The other is more for bike racks and real small utility carts. Check out etrailer.com. They have tons of resources for learning about towing.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts