Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Limited 3.6R
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, as the weather is getting warmer I’ve started to turn the AC on but have noticed that even after 20-30 mins of driving it doesn’t blow very cold. A few notes; this is my first warm season with the Outback, outside temp is roughly 20 degrees C (68 F), have it turned to the lowest setting, and on full auto.

Ideally I’d like to get this solved before summer rolls around, but I’d like to see if I can figure out the issue before paying someone an hour of labour to tell me what’s wrong.

I’ve seen a few similar threads but most of them involve sounds or uneven air distribution that I am not experiencing. Also, if anyone has experience with getting this sort of problem diagnosed/fixed and knows roughly how much I can expect to spend that would be great! I’d love if it was something that I can fix myself, I’m not afraid to attempt to recharge it myself if that’s what it needs or do a coolant change, but I don’t want to do anything redundant.

Thanks!

·
Registered
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
2,073 Posts
Is your vehicle still under the 3year 36,000 mile warranty period? If so this should be covered.

Seagrass

Reactions: HammEERman

·
Registered
2018 Limited 3.6R
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is your vehicle still under the 3year 36,000 mile warranty period? If so this should be covered.

Seagrass
I don’t think so. It was originally purchased at the end of 2017 putting it just outside of 3 years

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i
2,495 Posts
mileage?

here are some simple test to do with the A/C off and recirc off

turn fan on to position 2 (manual) or 2 segments (auto)
start with the temp knob and go from cold to full hot and does the temp change coming out of the vents?
use each mode and does the air flow change accordingly.

doing the above will rule out actuators and blend doors not working

finally turn on A/C do you notice the engine load up a bit? if not, start there

·
Registered
2018 Limited 3.6R
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mileage?

here are some simple test to do with the A/C off and recirc off

turn fan on to position 2 (manual) or 2 segments (auto)
start with the temp knob and go from cold to full hot and does the temp change coming out of the vents?
use each mode and does the air flow change accordingly.

doing the above will rule out actuators and blend doors not working

finally turn on A/C do you notice the engine load up a bit? if not, start there
Thanks! I will try this. And mileage is just under 37000 miles (under 60,000km in Canada. Which is the limit for 3 yr warranty)

·
Registered
2018 Limited 3.6R
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^ still worth asking SOA (Canada) for assistance
Yes, I’ve got my car booked in for Monday for them to fix an oil leak (they said it’s under warranty), so I’m going to mention this and maybe it’ll be under warranty as well

·
Registered
2018 Limited 3.6R
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: did the tests noted by @YeuEmMaiMai and the temperature gets warmer when knob is twisted, becomes stronger when fan strength is increased, and comes out of proper vents when those are toggled. However there was no audible (or temp) change when I turned on AC. I did the easy step and checked the fuse which appeared to be fine. I have an appointment with the dealer for an unrelated issue on Monday so I will at least ask them what they can do for me regarding this.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i
2,495 Posts
yeah hopefully it is just a relay. I am at 250Kkms and A/C is ice cold in the 2010 3.6R I do not have access to a 15+ service manual so I cannot tell you were the relay is

·
Registered
2018 Limited 3.6R
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah hopefully it is just a relay. I am at 250Kkms and A/C is ice cold in the 2010 3.6R I do not have access to a 15+ service manual so I cannot tell you were the relay is
Thanks for all the help. I emailed Subaru Canada and I will see what my local dealership says when I bring it on Monday

·
Registered
2018 OB 2.5 Ltd, No Eyesight, No Navigation
3,276 Posts
Start test by using Auto, instead of Full Auto, which is all over the place. Sometimes Full Auto is blowing just lower, sometimes upper and lower, sometimes level 5 fan, sometimes level 1 fan, sometimes defrost, etc. Such variation is great for air regulation but is bad for testing the A/C. I find my Full Auto rarely blows much air in my face like traditional HVAC units. However, Subaru's Full Auto somehow gets to the requested temp with low humidity and stays there. Somebody on this site convinced my to leave the HVAC on Full Auto, and that's what I do now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts