Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2018 TR690 with 80k miles CVT makes whirring noise and vibration only audible/present when in D ... when manually shifting 1-6 can't hear the noise/feel vibration if it is being made.

Girlfriend and I bought exact same 2018 3.6 at same time ... hers only has 40k miles on it ... it also makes whirring noise as well but it is MUCH quieter.

My whirring noise seems to be getting louder.

I read about TR690 warranty extension to 100k and some people having their CVT replaced from this whirring.

Does anyone know the exact cause of the whirring from an internal parts perspective? I am curious on what route I should take. Hesitant to go to dealer.

Wonder why programmed gear ratios don't create this problem.

Wonder if chain is wearing the pulley in a specific spot as that is the gear ratio most often arrived at when in D.

Considering fluid/strainer change but don't know/think it will help with the noise.

Thanks for any feedback!

Other work I have done in the last 5k miles that is unrelated to this issue to the best of my knowledge:

both front CV axles and seals replaced
front/rear diff fluid change
both rear wheel hub assemblies replaced
new shocks
alignment
wheel balance

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,814 Posts
"Whirring" is pretty vague - your best bet is to post a recording of what you're hearing, if possible. CVTs are not totally silent, and I believe Subaru does say that some noise is totally normal, but not sure about your specific observations WRT gear selection. "Vibration" is also kinda vague, but isn't a common complaint, so not normal IMO. The consensus on fluid around here seems to be definitely change it if you tow frequently (per Subaru's recommendation), otherwise, if you must change it, have an experienced shop do changes with the correct factory fluid in the 50-100k range. I'd suggest checking reviews of your local Subaru dealer service departments and take it to the best one you can find for a CVT and diff fluid change. Have them document your concerns at the visit. There is no serviceable filter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited by Moderator)
While taking your car to a dealer for simplistic service is questionable advice at best, it does not in any way address my question as to the cause of the noise I am experiencing.

Have you taken the time to read the Subaru Outback/Legacy Service Manual and examine the breakdown of the TR690 and Diagnostics with Phenomenon section?

You are factually incorrect - there are 2 serviceable CVT filters present in the TR690 - you can refer to any Subaru Outback/Legacy Service Manual to reference them and their associated servicing procedures.

Mod Edit:

You're wrong about the forum's technical expertise and today is not the day to get snippy. Tomorrow isn't a good day either.

Ask for help and you will get it but starting your time here with an insult isn't going to turn out well for one of us.

·
Registered
‘19 3.6R Touring
353 Posts
...The consensus on fluid around here seems to be definitely change it if you tow frequently (per Subaru's recommendation), otherwise, if you must change it, have an experienced shop do changes with the correct factory fluid in the 50-100k range. I'd suggest checking reviews of your local Subaru dealer service departments and take it to the best one you can find for a CVT and diff fluid change. Have them document your concerns at the visit. There is no serviceable filter.
+1 on the fluid change, and @ authorized dealer (along with documentation on a # of levels).
Towing a bit? Change @ 25K. Other harsh conditions as defined by Subaru,...
Short drives, especially in cold weather. CVT doesn’t get up to temp.
Cold climate zones is another (same reason).
Off-roading/overlanding, the constant low speed.
And dry, dusty environs, possibly increasing chain/pulley wear.

For any of these reasons, 25K change. A CVT tech told me that if you’re going to change your fluid, don’t wait ‘til the 100K mark...you’re likely to stir things up. That TR690 holds 13 qts., only 7-8 of it dumps out @ change. If you’re good with your tranny, 50K—60K change is a good proactive interval (& I think it shows the manufacturer you’re committing to some sort of regular service in the hopes of extending life, I hear those things are pretty expensive!).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UPDATE on "whirring/vibration"

I have found that the issue is most observable at 1200-1500 RPM ... which is where the engine/trans usually settles when in D under my normal conditions.

Acceleration out of this range make the issue go away.

When in "manual" mode ... my RPMs are usually NOT in this range so that could be why I don't observe it.

It still feel like something rotational to me ...

From the service manual on CVT Diagnosis

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
+1 on the fluid change, and @ authorized dealer (along with documentation on a # of levels).
Towing a bit? Change @ 25K. Other harsh conditions as defined by Subaru,...
Short drives, especially in cold weather. CVT doesn’t get up to temp.
Cold climate zones is another (same reason).
Off-roading/overlanding, the constant low speed.
And dry, dusty environs, possibly increasing chain/pulley wear.

For any of these reasons, 25K change. A CVT tech told me that if you’re going to change your fluid, don’t wait ‘til the 100K mark...you’re likely to stir things up. That TR690 holds 13 qts., only 7-8 of it dumps out @ change. If you’re good with your tranny, 50K—60K change is a good proactive interval (& I think it shows the manufacturer you’re committing to some sort of regular service in the hopes of extending life, I hear those things are pretty expensive!).

Thanks ... I am gonna go ahead and drop the pan and replace the filter and any fluid I can get out of there ... got nothing to lose ... I hope :)

·
Registered
‘19 3.6R Touring
353 Posts
Have you taken the time to read the Subaru Outback/Legacy Service Manual and examine the breakdown of the TR690 and Diagnostics with Phenomenon section?

This is my first post to Subaru Outback forums ... perhaps this isn't the type of forum for people who enjoy actual mechanical knowledge and application.
To your 1st question, I haven’t...yet...
Owned a lot of cars over the years, all MT’s until my current one (except for a van many years ago). My rookie cure with AT’s, when in doubt, dump & fill baby!
I really don’t know if you can do it often enough (except for the polluting/consuming resources reasons).
& to your 2nd point, No, that would be in the Problems & Maintenance section...😁
cardoc and some others would peruse that section more.

·
Registered
8,902 Posts

You are factually incorrect - there are 2 serviceable CVT filters present in the TR690 - you can refer to any Subaru Outback/Legacy Service Manual to reference them and their associated servicing procedures.
well, that isn't a normal service procedure item. Sure, they can be replaced, but that isn't the criteria for a serviceable item. The CVT oil filter is replaced "if a large quantity of wear debris or metal particles are found in the filter". That would be in the disassembly section of the transmission. That procedure might be done if, during an inspection of the CVT, metal particles or wear debris are found in the fluid. There is no regular service procedure that calls for replacing the CVT filter.

The oil strainer is checked when performing other diagnostics, and can be replaced. But again, not under a service procedure. That section will be something like oil pressure from the oil pump (clean or replace strainer). I'd skip that - it's a lot of work and likely not the problem.

Can always scan for any CVT specific DTCs too.

changing the fluid might be a good thing to do... plus you can inspect the fluid for any debris, discoloration, and so on.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,913 Posts
Thanks ... I am gonna go ahead and drop the pan and replace the filter and any fluid I can get out of there ... got nothing to lose ... I hope :)
If I'm SOA and you request warranty coverage after you tell me you dropped the pan, I'm going to tell you that you broke it. I wouldn't touch the CVT if you have coverage.

I had mine replaced at 52k under warranty.

·
Premium Member
2008 Subaru Tribeca
928 Posts
Someone probably messed something up when doing the front diff service.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i
2,700 Posts
If I'm SOA and you request warranty coverage after you tell me you dropped pan, I'm going to tell you that you broke it. I wouldn't touch the CVT if you have coverage.

I had mine replaced at 52k under warranty.
the filter is located behind the torque converter and the one in the pan is just a strainer

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,542 Posts
You are factually incorrect - there are 2 serviceable CVT filters present in the TR690 ...
the filter is located behind the torque converter ...
But you have to split the cases to get to it ... TR690 or TR580. Not even dealers are permitted to do that under warranty.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Check this video I posted. My sound turned out to be a chain in the CVT and was replaced by Subaru.
That's the exact noise I have ... thanks !

I wonder if it is covered by the extended CVT wararnty?

I will reach out and see.

Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
While taking your car to a dealer for simplistic service is questionable advice at best, it does not in any way address my question as to the cause of the noise I am experiencing.

Mod Edit:

You're wrong about the forum's technical expertise and today is not the day to get snippy. Tomorrow isn't a good day either.

Ask for help and you will get it but starting your time here with an insult isn't going to turn out well for one of us.

Are you implying that when you delete my account I am going to have to create another e-mail address and another account? That is not very friendly ... really.
To your 1st question, I haven’t...yet...
Owned a lot of cars over the years, all MT’s until my current one (except for a van many years ago). My rookie cure with AT’s, when in doubt, dump & fill baby!
I really don’t know if you can do it often enough (except for the polluting/consuming resources reasons).
& to your 2nd point, No, that would be in the Problems & Maintenance section...😁
cardoc and some others would peruse that section more.
Thank you for pointing me to the appropriate forum ... I appreciate that ... that is why I asked that question ... a moderator thought I was being "snippy" and edited out my comment but I appreciate you taking the time to point me in the right direction!

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,814 Posts
Well, this is a fairly rude response, not sure how that didn't occur to you. You'd like help diagnosing a noise and you think a one word description is sufficient? And how was I to know your level of expertise? Plenty of folks here have considered servicing the CVT to be trivial only to end up making very serious mistakes, even with the FSM in hand, so I was simply suggesting a prudent course of action. Whether or not you're willing to pay the dealer for the fluid service is irrelevant. My point was: you're still under warranty so get it to them so they can document the problem at a minimum. I'm quite confident they're better equipped to diagnose the CVT than yourself.

...Have you taken the time to read the Subaru Outback/Legacy Service Manual and examine the breakdown of the TR690 and Diagnostics with Phenomenon section?

Oh my, I beg your pardon for my laziness. ;) Buuut... if you had taken the time to do a little more research, and as was already pointed out, you'd realize that this filter is rarely serviced due to the complexity of the job. This is why it's generally considered not serviceable - particularly at the DIY level. Besides, if you've managed to clog that filter, replacing it is likely the equivalent of putting a band aid on a compound fracture.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts