Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Well, this is a fairly rude response, not sure how that didn't occur to you. You'd like help diagnosing a noise and you think a one word description is sufficient? And how was I to know your level of expertise? Plenty of folks here have considered servicing the CVT to be trivial only to end up making very serious mistakes, even with the FSM in hand, so I was simply suggesting a prudent course of action. Whether or not you're willing to pay the dealer for the fluid service is irrelevant. My point was: you're still under warranty so get it to them so they can document the problem at a minimum. I'm quite confident they're better equipped to diagnose the CVT than yourself.

Oh my, I beg your pardon for my laziness. ;) Buuut... if you had taken the time to do a little more research, and as was already pointed out, you'd realize that this filter is rarely serviced due to the complexity of the job. This is why it's generally considered not serviceable - particularly at the DIY level. Besides, if you've managed to clog that filter, replacing it is likely the equivalent of putting a band aid on a compound fracture.
My apologies ... I think I was just bent out of shape from wrenching on my Outback for 8 hours replacing front cv shafts, diff seals, all 4 shocks, and both rear hub assemblies(which also included a knuckle since I couldn't get one of the hubs out). The idea of swapping the trans didn't appeal to me at the moment ... still doesnt :(

·
Registered
2016 subaru outback 3.6r, 2011 Subaru ForesterXt
240 Posts
2018 TR690 with 80k miles CVT makes whirring noise and vibration only audible/present when in D ... when manually shifting 1-6 can't hear the noise/feel vibration if it is being made.

Girlfriend and I bought exact same 2018 3.6 at same time ... hers only has 40k miles on it ... it also makes whirring noise as well but it is MUCH quieter.

My whirring noise seems to be getting louder.

I read about TR690 warranty extension to 100k and some people having their CVT replaced from this whirring.

Does anyone know the exact cause of the whirring from an internal parts perspective? I am curious on what route I should take. Hesitant to go to dealer.

Wonder why programmed gear ratios don't create this problem.

Wonder if chain is wearing the pulley in a specific spot as that is the gear ratio most often arrived at when in D.

Considering fluid/strainer change but don't know/think it will help with the noise.

Thanks for any feedback!

Other work I have done in the last 5k miles that is unrelated to this issue to the best of my knowledge:

both front CV axles and seals replaced
front/rear diff fluid change
both rear wheel hub assemblies replaced
new shocks
alignment
wheel balance
Yep, that noise will sound kind of like air brakes on a lift. Do you have a short chirp yet, when placing the car in gear?
That is also common because I heard several Subarus making this sound while at dealers service bays.
Mine started out this way and after being told "it was normal", the sound got worse and became an intermittent screech before I finally got a rebuilt CVT.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Yep, that noise will sound kind of like air brakes on a lift. Do you have a short chirp yet, when placing the car in gear?
That is also common because I heard several Subarus making this sound while at dealers service bays.
Mine started out this way and after being told "it was normal", the sound got worse and became an intermittent screech before I finally got a rebuilt CVT.
No chirping yet ... I will keep an eye out for it. I am going to make an appointment with dealership and see where that goes.

Have a feeling that the only way they might acknowledge a problem with the transmission is if I have to have it towed in to them.

I'll keep this post updated on my progress.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Sold my 2018 Subaru Outback to CarMax for 24k. It had 83k miles on it and a newly installed rebuilt transmission/torque converter from the dealer.

Dealer ruined the car for me unfortunately but not unexpectedly. Feel lucky to walk away from that CVT nightmare only having lost $10k over 3 years.

Dealer had their "master mechanic" take my car for a drive but he couldn't hear the CVT whine. Then the service manager took it for a drive with me in it and identified the whine.

He said most people would just "drive through it".

I asked him how long can you drive through it before it becomes an issue ... he said he didn't know.

Since the car had 80k miles on it I agreed to have them replace torque converter and transmission.

It took them 2 weeks.

When I got the car back the noise was worse than before plus my car smelled so horribly of burning CVT fluid/clutch packs that it made my eyes water.

I asked the dealer if they followed the variator chain break-in procedure spelled out in the Outback Service Manual. They said they had never heard of that before and didn't do it.

I asked if the transmission rebuild company did it. They didn't know.

I called the transmission rebuild company ATC Drivetrain Inc. to see if they followed the variator chain break-in procedure. No response from them.

I gave the car 2 weeks of driving with windows down. The noise and smell didn't get any better.

If I ever have to get another CVT again I will hesitate to have it serviced.

Subaru is off my list for now since the have no 6 cylinder and no automatic trans.

The 4 cylinder loaner Outback from the dealership was horribly underpowered.

I have test driven the new Outback 4 cylinder with turbo ... the turbo lag is bad. Don't know if it is the turbo or the CVT or the combination.

Have driven the Honda Passport and Pilot ... they both perform SIGNIFICANTLY better but honestly don't handle as well as the Outback ... it drove like a car ... they drive like an SUV.

I'll take that trade-off.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts