Subaru Outback Forums banner

2018 3.6 or 2019 2.5i

8K views 63 replies 30 participants last post by  Borsig 
#1 ·
Alright. This will be my first Subaru. I am an old Volvo 240, 940, XC 90 and Saab 9 3 convertible owner. At the Subaru dealership they are offering a 2019 Touring Outback 2.5i for $1,000 more than a 2018 Touring 3.6r with 7K (manager's ordered car). I buy a car and keep it for 15+ years driving at most 9K a year. My cars stay in the garage. Considering this information, just because I drive little I still like to purchase the best overall deal for my money. Which one should I get?

#12 ·
IMHO, if you're sensitive about mpg even though you're a low-mileage driver, the 2.5 wins. In every other category the 3.6R is superior. If $1,000 difference between two new cars in this price range makes the difference to you with prospective 15-year ownership, we're not on the same page. I assume the used vehicles are fully documented/maintained/warranty. From your description, I'd go 3.6 but...your test-drives will tell the tale.

#16 ·
I would get the car with the lowest mileage on it. The new car. Not something a dealer has been blasting around town in or loaning to other people to do the same. Just my 2¢.

#19 ·
This is what I did. Drove both on an extended test drive. With normal around town driving you won't notice much difference. I took my test drive over a local mountain. The 2.5 was adequate. I reset the MPG counter in both vehicles. I couldn't get the 3.6 out of the teens. The 2.5 I got into the upper mid to upper 20s including a 20 min tie up with a disabled vehicle.

I thought both engines were smooth, a characteristic of horizontally opposed pistons of the boxer engine. The 2019 touring is sufficiently sound deadened I couldn't tell a difference in smoothness or I wasn't listening close enough. I was coming from a BMW 3 series diesel, so anything seemed smooth.

Drive both and decide what's important to you and go with your feeling. I've always refrained from having forums making decisions for me.

#18 ·
Both adequate but love my H6 after driving both when I was shopping. It's a '15 and have had 54k trouble free miles. Not to say the 2.5 would have issues, but my H6 is just so smooth and effortless when needed that I will miss it whenever I end up retiring my '15, which hopefully won't be for a while.

#20 ·
If you're planning to keep this for 15+ years, you need to knock it off with the "best deal" thing and concentrate on getting exactly the car you want. A slightly better deal now means nothing if you end up regretting one over the other for the next 15 years. Take long test drives on roads you drive regularly, merge onto some highways, pay attention to noises/vibrations, make sure the seats are comfortable, etc.

#21 ·
7k is nothing, IMO, in that case you couldn't pay me to take the 2.5 over the 3.6. The head unit is a concern, however, especially with recent reports of multiple failures. Although, given the severity of the problem, should you end up with a bad unit out of warranty, I'd bet Subaru would at least help out with the repair if not cover it completely. I'd suggest trying to get them to loan you the 3.6 for a day or two, get the feel of it on hills and highways (and loaded with passengers if that's a factor), then give the 2.5 a good test drive and see which you prefer.

#22 ·
There is a recall on the 2018 HU that updates the software causing the issues. If that's done, then it's a no brainer. Same car. You take the 3.6. Unless lack of power is not a concern. I get 23 mpg out of mine. The way I drive, the 2.5 would be would be seriously working. Probably get less mpg.

#24 ·
I own a 2018 Premium 2.5. I chose it as I thought at the time that the MPG efficiency of the 2.5 was a priority, and that it would be "good enough". While I am no speed demon or an aggressive driver, I have had to change my driving habits significantly. I wish I had chosen the 3.6. The 2.5, while fine most of the time, is not quick enough when entering traffic, where there is a normal amount of traffic OR when you need to pass. I would only recommend the 2.5 if you either live in a slow, rural area OR you are on a very limited income where you absolutely must maximize your MPG/gasoline bills. You will be much happier with a touring trim 3.6. The good news is that most of the changes in the 5th generation that make it a great vehicle happened for the 2017 & 2018 models. So you are not giving up anything by not taking the 2019. If you will keep this for a long time as you have mentioned, consider getting the Subaru Gold Plus warranty - the one that is the 10yr/100K/0 Deductible Warranty. It should be under $1700. If your dealer is asking more, refuse. PM me and I will give you a contact to purchase it more cheaply. OR you could ask them to sell you this warranty as part of the deal you have already made...Tell them you want it for $1,300, if they balk go up to $1,500. I think they would be inclined to make the deal to get you on the books during July (48 hours, Haha!). Good luck!

#25 ·
Drive all of them and decided what you like more.

But IMO...
If you intend on towing/hauling heavier loads, want to go fast, buy the 3.6R.
If you intend on towing/hauling lighter loads and like the large hatch, buy the 2.5i.
If fuel economy is your primary concern or you never intend to haul anything besides groceries buy a 2.5 Legacy. They are much cheaper to buy in this SUV/CUV hungry market, handle better, better fuel economy, same quality vehicle. I found my 3.6R Legacy twin for almost 8K cheaper than I paid for my OB. But I haul and the sedan body shape would not work for my needs.

Happy shopping!

#26 ·
I have a 2015 6-cylinder. I had a 2019 4-cylinder loaner last month while they replaced a wheel bearing. I drove a 2015 4-cylinder and hated it. The 2019 is a much quieter car so you don't hear that straining boxer engine sound driving around on the flats. Climbing a long hill with some grade to it, you hear it a bit. I could live with a 2019 4-cylinder.

If it were me, I'd wait for the 2020 to show up next month. They're claiming another -3 dB noise reduction. The 4-cylinder engine has a smidge more power. In the Touring trim level, it adds a few useful features. This late in the model year in the last year of the 5th generation Outback, I'd want at least 10%-off MSRP to consider a 2019.

#27 · (Edited)
The following factors will not occur to you in a test drive, but are worthy of consideration if you are like me:

•The 2.5 has about 60-90 extra miles of range per tank. The gas tanks are the same size. In the boonies where I go, I would rather have more range than more power. Even while not in the boonies, I enjoy filling up less often. (By the way, some people talk about the mpg issue only in terms of driving cost, but that is only part of the consideration. The more important factor to me is range. There is also environmental impact.)

•The 2.5 has the engine oil filter on top. If you change your own oil, you will wonder why all cars are not built with the filter on top. Just yesterday, with my EZ Oil Drain Valve installed, I performed yet another oil change without tools. By the way, if you do perform your oil changes and do it properly, you will see where a shop can cut corners and will want to avoid that. No kidding, I do not want to buy another car that has the engine oil filter down below.

#35 ·
I bought a 2019 2.5i Limited about 3 months ago. For my interests the Touring options did nothing for me, so that's why I bought the lower trim level. I test drove the 2.5 and the 3.6 several times starting in FL and then in MA and NH. I liked the power of the 3.6 better but it was the millage that won me over. I was trading in a beast of a BMW that was scary powerful but having been there and done that I was willing to live with a less powerful option. The interesting thing is that after negotiating quite a while the price differential was small (in the hundreds of dollars). I am happy with my choice but there are times I wonder if I had good data on the fuel millage difference which drove the decision. Good luck I don't think you will be sorry no matter which way you go.

#40 · (Edited)
Sounds like my story. I traded in a BMW 328d, with tons of torque. (turbo diesel). I also drove both the 3.6 and 2.5 a couple of times. One was an extended test drive up and over the local mountain and back to see how each could handle it. The 2.5 did fine. I reset the MPG counter on both those test drives. I couldn't get the 3.6 out of the upper teens on the test drive. The 2.5 was in the upper 20s and then dropped down to around 26 due to a disabled vehicle tie up I got caught up in. The 2.5 scooted up and over the mountain just fine. I bought the 2.5 in touring trim. (Wife loved the brown leather.)

The turbo would be interesting. My wife has a forester XT, and I like the turbo in that car. It stays in eco mode where it is using little to no boost, but has the ability to kick in when needed. In normal driving I can easily beat the MPG ratings of that vehicle, by quite a bit. Her forester recommends premium, but the new Outback turbo runs on regular and achieves 30 mpg highway. Not shabby. I will be looking into it when they start showing up.

#36 ·
Test drive them both for sure. If you're at all performance oriented get the 3.6R, but you will lose about 4 MPG. Definitely don't let $1000.00 force you into the wrong car. I strongly recommend the 3.6R. Best car I've ever owned and I've had most of the nice ones out there. Go for it!

#42 · (Edited)
#44 ·
We've had our 2019 2.5 Limited for a little more than 3 months and so far, we love it. We traded a Jeep Liberty that was literally driven all over the country. While we enjoyed our Jeep, it could never give us the fuel mileage that the 2.5 gives us. We're talking high teens for the Jeep compared to mid to upper 20s for the 2.5. We take a lot of long trips so we were looking for comfort, handling, and decent fuel mileage as well as a good highway car. The OB 2.5i limited fit the bill. We considered the H6 and the Touring. In the case of the H6 we opted for mileage over power and we just didn't see anything that could justify the extra cost of the Touring.

@trc, at 9,000 miles annually it sounds like you're more of an around town driver with the occasional highway trip. That's where the 2.5i will definitely out perform the H6. I'd be leaning toward the new 2019 with the 2.5i. But, that's just my own opinion. You'll want to do whatever feels right for you and yours.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.