Turbo? I'd rather not. ~ Bill Slowsky

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited, No Eyesight, No Navigation
2,471 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
I wouldn't count on that. I bought a new 2019 so that I could get the 3.6R and avoid the turbo; Speaking for myself.
My 3.6 might be available soon. Love it, but the new Turbo engine and other improvements for MY20 are calling me. It's not just the upgraded engine with better fuel mileage, after reading the reviews I'm expecting an OB that handles and rides noticeably better with a much nicer interior. We will see soon.

·
Registered
2019 Outback 2.5i Limited
141 Posts
We've had our 2019 2.5 Limited for a little more than 3 months and so far, we love it. We traded a Jeep Liberty that was literally driven all over the country. While we enjoyed our Jeep, it could never give us the fuel mileage that the 2.5 gives us. We're talking high teens for the Jeep compared to mid to upper 20s for the 2.5. We take a lot of long trips so we were looking for comfort, handling, and decent fuel mileage as well as a good highway car. The OB 2.5i limited fit the bill. We considered the H6 and the Touring. In the case of the H6 we opted for mileage over power and we just didn't see anything that could justify the extra cost of the Touring.

@trc, at 9,000 miles annually it sounds like you're more of an around town driver with the occasional highway trip. That's where the 2.5i will definitely out perform the H6. I'd be leaning toward the new 2019 with the 2.5i. But, that's just my own opinion. You'll want to do whatever feels right for you and yours.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6
89 Posts
No. I'm so far ahead of him over the hills and passing, I'm waiting on him. And since his 4 banger works way harder it pans out to be about the same mileage. Soooooo.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
3,169 Posts
2.5ers seem to have a better sense of humor though. And not always in such a hurry to be the first one there.
Good thing too because that ain't gonna happen with us. 😄

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited, No Eyesight, No Navigation
2,471 Posts
No. I'm so far ahead of him over the hills and passing, I'm waiting on him. And since his 4 banger works way harder it pans out to be about the same mileage. Soooooo.
Same mpg...Is it really necessary to lie that hard, 3.6 owners? lol

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited
197 Posts
No regrets with my 2018 3.6. I've had it for almost two years, near 24k miles and love it. I've never checked the mpg that it gets. It's quiet, smooth, almost powerful enough, and satisfying to drive for a daily driver. It gets me to the golf course and elsewhere just fine.

·
Registered
'19 Outback Touring 3.6R
172 Posts
I guess the cool kids are stuck in traffic going to the mall in a spotless 3.6.
Meanwhile, there’s this guy conquering Earth in his 2.5:

View attachment 469260
That's about what my 3.6 looks like but with stock tires and nothing blocking my view of the stars out the sunroof!

Not everyone buys a 3.6 to go to the mall . . .

·
Registered
2019 Outback Limited 3.6R; Abyss Blue Pearl; Most of the Accessory Book
34 Posts
I just returned from a 350 road trip. Most of the driving was highway between 75-95 MPH. I got 24 MPG. The engine only has 1000 miles on it so I varied the speed a lot. I suspect mileage will improve a little as it breaks in completely. Not that most will drive at those speeds, but I was impressed with the high speed stability and tracking of the Outback. Very smooth, and tracks like its on rails. Also, plenty of power left for passing.
Drive them both to decide, but in the end its a great car and your going to love it .It will serve you well for a long time. Might well be the best car I've ever owned and I've had some nice ones that costs a whole lot more.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just drove the 3.6r and 2.5i. Unfortunately the 2.5 is a no go. That said I also drove the Ascent that supposedly has the same turbo engine that is coming to the OB2020. I was impressed. It seems faster and more powerful than the 3.6. Now I am not sure. Maybe I might wait for the new OB turbo model.
Has anyone have any impressions or suggestions? Thanks

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
I just drove the 3.6r and 2.5i. Unfortunately the 2.5 is a no go. That said I also drove the Ascent that supposedly has the same turbo engine that is coming to the OB2020. I was impressed. It seems faster and more powerful than the 3.6. Now I am not sure. Maybe I might wait for the new OB turbo model.
Has anyone have any impressions or suggestions? Thanks
You might try this thread that’s more on topic to your question: https://www.subaruoutback.org/threads/torn-between-getting-a-19-or-waiting-for-a-20.513565/

This one was more specific to a choice between gen5 cars only.

·
Registered
2019 3.6R Touring Pearl White
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Hey everybody. I got the 2019 3.6R Touring. I've had it for about 2 weeks. Got the 10 yr 100K extended Subaru warranty. I LOVE IT! Thank you for all of your help. I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Hey everybody. I got the 2019 3.6R Touring. I've had it for about 2 weeks. Got the 10 yr 100K extended Subaru warranty. I LOVE IT! Thank you for all of your help. I really appreciate it.
excellent! What color did you get? (don't think that was in the first post assuming you got the one you were originally considering). Oh, and don't forget to update your profile and/or signature with the year and model so people won't ask as often if you have a question and forget to state the model you have. Congrats and welcome to the 3.6R club!

41 - 60 of 64 Posts