Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2018 OB 3.6 Limited
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My OB 3.6 limited is about 3 weeks old. I have been following the engine break in as per the manual. At about 850 miles I checked the oil and it was down a quart. I put in a quart of 5W -30 conventional oil. Is this normal? Is this because of the engine break in. I hope the engine does not burn oil. I plan on getting the oil changed at about 2000 miles. The dealer gave me a free oil change at 3 months. I had a 2000 VW Passat V6 that burned oil, it was a big problem. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2018 Touring 3.6R
903 Posts
We've not used any now at ~5 weeks and 3,200 miles. Your post reminded me to check it again tonight and it's still right on the full mark. Any chance yours wasn't completely filled from the start? 1qt in 850 miles is really heavy usage. I'd check it again in 500 miles and see what happens. Every Euro car I've owned has used oil so that's just par for the course with them.

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Pearl Outback 3.6R Premier
189 Posts
I just did my second oil change and its never used any oil. However, I find when checking the oil level its very sensitive to any grade that the car is on. My driveway has a slight grade and I only fill it to midway on the dipstick, then when sitting perfectly level its at the full mark.

·
Registered
'18 OB 3.6R
64 Posts
Our new 3.6R (now 2200 miles) we have also been following a very cautious break in procedure and at around 600-700 miles it seemed to take a 1/2 quart or so out of nowhere. But after refilling it's solid and hasn't moved since. This has happened to literally every one of my new cars during break-in (7 vehicles - all different makes and size from 3-cyl to 8). I'm pretty sure it's witchcraft, but this has always been the case for me and none of them have ever had any issues burning/using oil long-term. I wouldn't worry about it unless it persists.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,713 Posts
The car is sensitive to needing to be on level ground when pulling the dipstick.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 3.6R
510 Posts
The car is sensitive to needing to be on level ground when pulling the dipstick.

X2 and I have found what you think is level may not be such as a parking area at a Motel.

Therefore before making any oil judgements to my 3.6R it is only done after the car has set in my garage overnight. After 60,000 miles I have never had to add oil with 7,000 mile oil changes that I do myself.

I also check the oil often even though it has never used oil.

If the OP did not check the oil level when he received the car and waited until it had 850 miles on it the engine may have been low on oil from the beginning.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,150 Posts
Hopefully the 2020 models will come with a bubble level built into the roof rack.
... and self-leveling suspension!

·
Registered
2015 3.6R
1,855 Posts
40k miles on my 3.6, multiple oil changes and no issues. Don't hear much about oil consumption any more so I wouldn't be too concerned with the gen 5. Especially the H6 engine. Been quite happy with how solid it's been so far.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm down 1/3 of a quart in the first 5500 miles. A full quart in such a short period does not seem normal.

As others noted, it's important to check on a level suface, but a quart is a long way to be off unless you were on a noticable incline.

Does your car exhibit any other signs that it is burning oil (blue smoke, check engine or emissions lights) or leaking (oil puddles underneath or dripping from undercarriage)?

It might help to regularly check and make a note of the level (like at each fuel fill-up) until you are confident that you have diagnosed the root cause.

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
One has to be aware of driving styles that can cause oil consumption.

Over doing the engine braking versus using the actual brakes can cause oil consumption.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited
203 Posts
My 3.6 uses little if any oil in 7500 miles so far. I drive quickly often, mix of city and highway, use the paddle shifters a fair amount for slowing down off off ramps or on downhills, etc. Prior to first oil change at 4k oil level remained as new. Just checked it yesterday and still where it was 3500 miles ago. That's my experience as of now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oil Consumption

Using synthetic oil for my 3.6L 2018 Outback. First oil change at 6,000 miles. Now at 10,900 miles and the check oil light came on. Dipstick says it's down a quart. I have my oil changes done at Valvoline Instant Oil Change. I'm doubtful that they shorted me on the oil. I will add a quart and continue to watch. I am NOT happy!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Using synthetic oil for my 3.6L 2018 Outback. First oil change at 6,000 miles. Now at 10,900 miles and the check oil light came on. Dipstick says it's down a quart. I have my oil changes done at Valvoline Instant Oil Change. I'm doubtful that they shorted me on the oil. I will add a quart and continue to watch. I am NOT happy

When I have my oil and filter changed, I always check the level outside before leaving. Also never use the quick change oil places, twice the oil plug was not tightened properly....dripping oil.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 3.6R
510 Posts
I can remember when we had full service gas stations. They almost always checked the oil.

Today I check the oil at least once a week and when on along trip every morning before the next leg of the trip.

Waiting for the check engine light to check oil level is inviting a disaster.

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
I can remember when we had full service gas stations. They almost always checked the oil.

Today I check the oil at least once a week and when on along trip every morning before the next leg of the trip.

Waiting for the check engine light to check oil level is inviting a disaster.
One of my jobs as a teenager was gas jockey. Checked the oil and washed the windows of every car unless asked not to.

There was a reason we kept the rack of oil cans next to the pumps....oil consumption happens. Not sure why folks get so wound up about it.

Folks love to tell tales how they had such and such a car that never used oil. Of course it is usually a car that did not have a low oil light and Lord knows they never checked the level. Many just drove around in ignorant bliss at being a quart low between changes.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,275 Posts
Using synthetic oil for my 3.6L 2018 Outback. First oil change at 6,000 miles. Now at 10,900 miles and the check oil light came on. Dipstick says it's down a quart. I have my oil changes done at Valvoline Instant Oil Change. I'm doubtful that they shorted me on the oil. I will add a quart and continue to watch. I am NOT happy!
I see you state you are doubtful the oil-change place shorted you on the oil. Does that mean you haven't checked it since the oil change 4,900 miles ago to know for sure?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts