Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Less than 1,700km from new (Jan 2018 build in Japan) driving my 3.6R Outback on a smooth paved rural road, no other traffic or people about, heard a 'bang' and wife and I couldn't immediately see what it was. Later found it was a windshield crack and no evidence of impact. Lower edge, starting just to the right of centre and extending about 5" up and turns roughly 90 degrees and travels further 4" toward driver's side (RHD).

Had experienced vehicles (Australian Ford Falcon Sedans) years ago getting stressed windshield fractures. Once immediately after I towed a dual horse float and the other at a Ford dealership after it was left on stands overnight.

I have windshield insurance cover but I pursued it first with the dealer because I felt it was a design fault. Dealer agrees that there is no evidence of impact and is submitting a claim to Subaru.
:surprise:
NOTE: Today I Googled it and find many similar experiences in 2013-2017 Outbacks (and Legends) and a class action because of it. It seems the heated wiper park area causes the cracking.

I hadn't (as far as I know) turned on that heating element. Outside temperature was about 14C (57F). Cool but not freezing. Fingers crossed that Subaru come to the party. :| Anyone else had this?

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Outback, 2002 Audi S4 Avant, 1980 CB750F Supersport, 1985 Carrera 3.2
568 Posts
I've replaced two this past year and have a big nick that surprisingly hasn't started cracking yet (will be my third). It is what it is, if you have the insurance like I do then just get it taken care of and call it a day. Each of mine were rock chips, one didn't have any evidence of an impact besides the rock still being lodged under my windshield blade.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R
1,855 Posts
I got the crack in the heating element area and Subaru did pay for it. I also didn't use it because it was summer time. Good that dealer put in a claim. If no evidence of rock chip then Subaru will hopefully cover it for you. I was told the replacement I got was improved design so we'll see. That was last year and have not had an issue since.

Reactions: Fitzy

·
Registered
2015 3.6 Premium
1,230 Posts
I Don't think Ozzie OB's have heating elements. My 2015 does not have that feature. I did however break my windscreen last year and had it replace by my insurance. I had to wait about a month for a screen to arrive from Japan. 196 on back order and on the slow boat from Fuji. The new screen however does have the heating element but no way of turning it on........ With the new one you can clearly see the element. The old screen did not have it. If I break it again I will make sure the screen does not have a heating element because it is a weak spot. The mirrors are heated though but get no heat from the elements in the screen.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I Don't think Ozzie OB's have heating elements. My 2015 does not have that feature. I did however break my windscreen last year and had it replace by my insurance. I had to wait about a month for a screen to arrive from Japan. 196 on back order and on the slow boat from Fuji. The new screen however does have the heating element but no way of turning it on........ With the new one you can clearly see the element. The old screen did not have it. If I break it again I will make sure the screen does not have a heating element because it is a weak spot. The mirrors are heated though but get no heat from the elements in the screen.
Thanks for your response. I didn't think it had the wiper park heating elements either. I read that the area (as you say) seems to be a weak spot with the elements.

Incidentally, I was expecting it to have TPMS (Tyre Pressure Monitoring System) as the 3.6R does in USA. Well one of their two 3.6R levels does anyway. My MY14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo trade in had it. :) Only gripes other than the screen are that if I close the small console lid (the one in front of the gearshift) Archaeologists will open it in 3,000 years as it took 3 of us a long time to get it open on Day 1. Also all tyres were 12psi over inflated on delivery. Very happy with the vehicle. :smile2:

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got the crack in the heating element area and Subaru did pay for it. I also didn't use it because it was summer time. Good that dealer put in a claim. If no evidence of rock chip then Subaru will hopefully cover it for you. I was told the replacement I got was improved design so we'll see. That was last year and have not had an issue since.
Not sure if the Australian OB's actually have that element and no idea where you'd turn it on if it has. My Googling turned up a number of people who got cracks in the same place due to the heating elements. Also absolutely nothing had hit the screen. The temp on the day was just cool not freezing. I'm hoping Subaru covers it because although I have windshield insurance cover, no doubt my premium will go up next year if I claim. :) Thanks for your response. :smile2:

·
Registered
2015 3.6 Premium
1,230 Posts
My crack started next to the A Pillar half way up. Small stone hit it the day before. Was cold overnight so started a crack which eventually went 3/4 the way across at eye level. Having to wait over a month for a screen was dangerous and really stuffed with my eyes.....

·
Registered
2018 Touring 3.6R
903 Posts
Some people around here believe the 3.6R is a supercar with too much power for the common folk. Perhaps all that torque twisted the body which in turn cracked the windshield. Try to use less throttle next time

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Some people around here believe the 3.6R is a supercar with too much power for the common folk. Perhaps all that torque twisted the body which in turn cracked the windshield. Try to use less throttle next time
:laugh:

This is a joke right? All that torque? Rubbish. It is NOT a high performance car. I have had others with much more performance. Even my trade-in had 570Nm torque. Anyway, I was just getting through the running in phase and have still not used anything like full throttle. LOL!

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Outback Windshield Crack

UPDATE: I Googled "Subaru Outback Windscreen Cracks" or similar and was blown away by the enormous number of similar cracks people experienced in Outback and Legacy vehicles - from 2011 but predominantly 2013 - 2017 it seems. In 2017 there was even a class action in USA. It seems that the presence of the heating element (without it being in use) has caused a weakness in that area of the glass, and it is also alleged that relatively recently Subaru changed the windshield thickness.

Subaru have agreed to replace the windshield. Was booked in, only to be told shortly afterwards that there were no suitable windshields in stock in Australia right now, and that it would be 6 weeks ex-Japan. At that I said that I'd already been unable to use the new vehicle for a while (while the claim was being put in to them) and have cancelled a holiday booking and that I expect a loaner vehicle. Even a loaner would not be great because you can't take them out of the state.

Next I got on the phone and found a new genuine windshield myself. The dealer is hopefully getting the okay from Subaru to go ahead. I pointed out that the windshield came from Subaru and it would be cheaper to get it fitted at their expense rather than give me a loaner vehicle for the alleged 6 weeks (and then perform the same fitment at their expense). Will know Monday (18 June). *sigh* :|

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,259 Posts
... the enormous number of similar cracks people experienced in Outback and Legacy vehicles ...
Of course, neither you nor I could possibly know the even more enormous (probably by a couple of orders of magnitude) number of Legacy/Outback owners who haven't experienced a spontaneous windshield crack. I own two crack-free Subarus, but my anecdotal report is no more or less valid than yours. I seriously doubt that North American and Japanese Legacy/Outback windshields come from the same plant; if that's correct, the failure rates would not be correlated anyway.

That said, I understand your frustration obtaining a timely repair.

·
Registered
2018, Outback, 3.6R Touring
2 Posts
I had a spontaneous crack in the windshield of my Subaru Outback 3.6R Touring within the last month. No sign of a rock impact. We went into a restaurant with it fine, and returned and saw the crack. Sounds similar to others, starts near the middle, goes up a ways, and takes a 90 degree turn towards the passenger side (the driver side in Australia :) ).

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited 85 days old, 2200 miles, experienced a spontaneous windshield crack. Drove the car on 12/23 for local errands and parked in driveway with temperature overnight in high 20's. Came out on afternoon of 12/24 to find a 17-inch long crack that starts from the base of the windshield inboard of the driver-side windshield wiper, goes near vertically upward, then slants across toward the center of the windshield about 5-inches above the dashboard in front of the driver. No known or evidence of impact damage. Called dealer to report it and they said bring it in and they'll look at it to decide if insurance or Subaru will replace it. From descriptions of others it sounds like a similar failure pattern. Since I had a 2016 3.6R before this one and had no windshield problem in three years, I suspect the crack is related to issues noted with some Outback windshields.

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited; 2" LP Aventure lift, LPA skid plates and small bumper guard, diff breather relocation, subframe skids; Motegi MR118 17x8et32 wheels; Yakima LoadWarrior with extension; ARB
318 Posts
I had a similar experience. Twice in the same windshield. Hosed the car off after some dirt roads only to hear a pop and see a nice long crack starting from the top drivers side, next to the rear view mirror, that extended down and took a 90 degree turn as well as continuing down. In the process of waiting for the replacement to be approved by Subaru, I experienced the same thing occurring again a week and a half later, this time with a crack beginning on the lower passenger side and taking a 90 degree turn across the windshield. It was replaced under warranty shortly after.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Our 2019 Outback windshield just cracked for the SECOND time. The first time we just bought the car and the dealership replaced the windshield at no cost to us. It just happened again, and like yours, appears to be spontaneous. We have fewer than 4000 miles (about 6400 km). Hoping Subaru will cover again. Meanwhile, I’m looking to see how prevalent this is.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Lets face it, our windshields are rubbish. Subaru knows it. Customers know it. The state of California made them admit it.

Subaru stood behind my windshield crack and replaced it. I now have a new stone chip, awaiting a hot sunny day to turn it into a crack. I expect them to stand by their products.

Windshields are not supposed to be consumable items, replaced with the frequency of oil.

My 2001 Suburban has over 400k miles and 2 stone chips and its original windshield. Expecting a second windshield in my current Outback after 8k miles. Traded in my previous 2016 Outback with a cracked windshield. I expect the effort to reduce weight and improve fuel efficiency has led to flimsy windshields and light weight and short lived batteries.

Trust the nextGen Outback will have this issue resolved.

Awaiting the obligatory hate mail from longtime Subaru zealots who think their cars are made by infallible beings.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,356 Posts
I have had my '17 Outback for just under two years now and not a single problem with the windshield. I just made sure to pick one off the lot that had the good glass and not the crappy one that some people get stuck with.>:)

·
Banned
6,270 Posts
I have had my '17 Outback for just under two years now and not a single problem with the windshield. I just made sure to pick one off the lot that had the good glass and not the crappy one that some people get stuck with.>:)
LOL, all that wasted time looking for the perfect windshield when all you had to do was demand the Subaru lifetime glass warranty.... >:)

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,404 Posts
Subaru replaces a failed windshield. New windshield, after some unspecified period of time, has a chip from an impact. In anticipation of a resulting crack, you proclaim all Subaru windshields to be "rubbish". Certainly fails the logic test, but, ok.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts