Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 White 3.6 War Wagon
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know where you can pick up a aftermarket intake for a 2018 Outback 3.6r ?

·
Registered
2018 3.6r
104 Posts
I did come across something in my many wishlists i've made across the internet since getting the car. It was put in the too much moolah for gain basket for the moment. I'm going to have some dinner and i'll see if i can find it for you.

·
Registered
'17 Outback Limited 3.6R in Venetian Red.
480 Posts
I'm very happy with my Takeda (AFE) cold air intake system. I bought it used off of a group member, and it responded very well when I got my car retuned.

·
Registered
2016 2.5 outback limited
166 Posts
ive been looking for one for the 2.6 for a month, and have come up almost empty handed. i think afe takada might make one for the 3.6. for what they cost, im not sure if its a big improvement over factory, as these are nonturbo engines. i take the claims with a grain of salt. from my understanding, the subie intakes are a good design, so the gains might not be all that great, if any. the only reason im even thinking about is, as i lkie to go to car events and it would be more for show than go.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,144 Posts

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,144 Posts
i lkie to go to car events and it would be more for show than go.
I made my own intake for the KBPI car show last year. However, since the Subaru system on the turbos really is superior (until over 300HP) I modified the factory airbox and kept some other bits. But it's mostly for show.

1st I cut out the pre-MAF diverter that is in the beginning of the MAF tube

Then I ensured I maintained all dimensions and retained all of the factory bends, post MAF

The modified stock airbox was also thermally insulated against heat with urethane. The stock storkle is also used to feed cold air as well as drawing air from the fender.

The intake actually shave some Fahrenheits off the intake charge to the insulation from engine bay heat. The car is tuned for it, but I can swap a stock box and paper filter back in without changing the tune. I basically built a cooler stock system.

·
Registered
2018 3.6r
104 Posts
ive been looking for one for the 2.6 for a month, and have come up almost empty handed. i think afe takada might make one for the 3.6. for what they cost, im not sure if its a big improvement over factory, as these are nonturbo engines. i take the claims with a grain of salt. from my understanding, the subie intakes are a good design, so the gains might not be all that great, if any. the only reason im even thinking about is, as i lkie to go to car events and it would be more for show than go.
Wow ... you were not kidding. This is $1500 between the 2...YIKES, I can get a top of the line intercooler for 1/2 that and it does something. With the minimal gains from all of this, it looks like someone is paying mostly for carbon fiber pretty.
I'm a sucker for carbon. But imo most factory air intakes are more than adequate as designed in factory.

My last car worth modifying was a r33 skyline (gtst) and unless you were running 250 ish kW at the wheels, the only reason to change the stock setup was for the induction sound.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts