Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friends Honda CRV has Android auto on their car and she is able to say commands like "Ok Google, Set temperature to 70" and it will work with the car. On my Subaru it says "device not found." On top of this when the phone is plugged in it seems android auto overrides the cars voice commends, so there is no way to vocally adjust temperature or use the car navigation when the phone is plugged in.

Does anyone know a work around? The dealer indicated they have not been trained yet. My order was the 1st unit they received.

First world problem, I know...

·
Premium Member
2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
3,246 Posts
First off so you have AA???

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul

·
Registered
2014 2.5i PZEV Tungsten Outback Limited W/Moonroof, Accessory Value Package A.
114 Posts
Ahhhhh yea, 2018 outback does have android auto

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2021 Outback Limited 2.5L - 🍦The Ice Cream Man🍦
5,627 Posts
Do you have the Android Auto app installed on your smartphone?

Do you have mobile data turned on?

I have been using Android Auto in my 2018 Outback with no issues.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have the Android Auto app installed on your smartphone?

Do you have mobile data turned on?

I have been using Android Auto in my 2018 Outback with no issues.
All Android auto features work; however, it doesn't seem to communicate with the HVAC system. I have no voice control over temperature when aa is running. Did you try changing temperature when its running?

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
This is a perfect example of a voice command that is far less efficient that simply turning a knob. I bet I can turn that left knob to 70F faster than someone can say 'OK Google, set temperature to 70'.
+1. I find majority of the voice commands rather inefficient. it reminds me of that 60's song In The Year 2525.

Reactions: 1454 and Yoda_One

·
Premium Member
3,246 Posts
If my life was just so complicated.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is a perfect example of a voice command that is far less efficient that simply turning a knob. I bet I can turn that left knob to 70F faster than someone can say 'OK Google, set temperature to 70'.
True, but then your eyes are off the road for 2 to 3 seconds.

·
Premium Member
3,246 Posts
betcha you spend more than 2 or 3 seconds when you look at your mirrors. What an weak justification. Be honest you just want bragging rights, which is fine. I know, I am slightly distracted when do request to decrease A/C fan speed or Change the channel to SirrusXM Bridge. Also when I say OK Google "What time is it".

·
Registered
41 Posts
What a weak justification.
Why does someone need to "justify" using voice commands exactly?

You and the other people who sit around belittling those that want to use modern technology including Android Auto, Carplay, and Voice Recognition just seem like luddites to me. You want to use a knob to change things because that's the way it always worked, and you fear change.

I, on the other hand, want to use voice for 100% of my vehicles features and in an ideal world have a HUD, so I never have to take my eyes off the road. Tesla's Model 3 has the right idea (except it needed a HUD).

The 2017 and prior could theoretically change the temperature with voice, it just never worked very well. The voice recognition was junk. Google Assistant and Siri's voice recognition are fantastic, so if you could change temperature with them, it would likely work reliably.

·
Premium Member
3,246 Posts

You and the other people who sit around belittling those that want to use modern technology including Android Auto, Carplay, and Voice Recognition just seem like luddites to me. You want to use a knob to change things because that's the way it always worked, and you fear change.

I, on the other hand, want to use voice for 100% of my vehicles features and in an ideal world have a HUD, so I never have to take my eyes off the road. Tesla's Model 3 has the right idea (except it needed a HUD).

The 2017 and prior could theoretically change the temperature with voice, it just never worked very well. The voice recognition was junk. Google Assistant and Siri's voice recognition are fantastic, so if you could change temperature with them, it would likely work reliably.
You're off base. I use voice commands extensively on my Subies and guess what I can also use a knob. Alexa which I use heavily for my camera's, lights, switches, music at Home, so Siri or Google is not the only game in town. Alexa AI will be integrated in autos which I read will be in a few vehicles soon.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/01/09/amazon-alexa-will-make-your-car-smarter/

·
Registered
2016 OB 3.6R - Carbide Gray
1,297 Posts

I am the furthest thing from a luddite, and I love every aspect of new technology. Use (and possibly abuse) eyesight all the time. However, Carplay and it's ilk are rather useless in real life terms. It, IMO, has no added value to the end user outside of maps/waze integration. I would love hud, and have experimented more than probably anyone here trying to add it via unconventional means, but talking to your head unit (car) are so much less efficient than just reaching (without even having to look) and changing the temp. These modern iterations of the headunit with apps are a solution searching for a problem.

I liken this stuff to the same usefulness as a smartwatch. I own one, and only ever wear it for a week or two a month. I took it off at Top Golf and placed it in my fiance's purse and then forgot I even gave it to her for 2 weeks. I felt/still feel Google Glass had much more added value than all these other AA/Carplay/Smartwatches combined.

·
Premium Member
3,246 Posts
+1

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am the furthest thing from a luddite, and I love every aspect of new technology. Use (and possibly abuse) eyesight all the time. However, Carplay and it's ilk are rather useless in real life terms. It, IMO, has no added value to the end user outside of maps/waze integration. I would love hud, and have experimented more than probably anyone here trying to add it via unconventional means, but talking to your head unit (car) are so much less efficient than just reaching (without even having to look) and changing the temp. These modern iterations of the headunit with apps are a solution searching for a problem.

I liken this stuff to the same usefulness as a smartwatch. I own one, and only ever wear it for a week or two a month. I took it off at Top Golf and placed it in my fiance's purse and then forgot I even gave it to her for 2 weeks. I felt/still feel Google Glass had much more added value than all these other AA/Carplay/Smartwatches combined.
First post, but have been lurking for a while since first deciding on a '17, and then the '18 OB. So, I don't mean to start any kind of huge argument, but I'm between the two points of view.

On the one hand, tactile feedback will always trump voice input for me, especially for something I seek immediate feedback in, such as temperature. Imagine the workflow: Hey Dingus, change my temperature to 75 degrees. > wait for the thing to connect to Google > wait for it to process your voice response > wait for it to talk to your car > wait for the car to accept response and make a change. That would drive me bonkers if it took any longer than 1 second, which is twice as long as it would take me to adjust the temp with a conveniently placed knob (now with the temp display on the knob!).

That said, if there's a feature X that's supposed to be there, and it's suddenly broken, that's a bug - not needing justification. Subaru sells this car with voice commands that can change various settings, including HVAC, if that no longer works once you're in AA mode, then that's a broken system, period.

Is the OP certain that the voice commands work just fine without AA enabled, and once enabled, the voice commands get taken over by the phone, but the OB doesn't support setting HVAC via AA?

·
Registered
2016 OB 3.6R - Carbide Gray
1,297 Posts
First post, but have been lurking for a while since first deciding on a '17, and then the '18 OB. So, I don't mean to start any kind of huge argument, but I'm between the two points of view.

On the one hand, tactile feedback will always trump voice input for me, especially for something I seek immediate feedback in, such as temperature. Imagine the workflow: Hey Dingus, change my temperature to 75 degrees. > wait for the thing to connect to Google > wait for it to process your voice response > wait for it to talk to your car > wait for the car to accept response and make a change. That would drive me bonkers if it took any longer than 1 second, which is twice as long as it would take me to adjust the temp with a conveniently placed knob (now with the temp display on the knob!).

That said, if there's a feature X that's supposed to be there, and it's suddenly broken, that's a bug - not needing justification. Subaru sells this car with voice commands that can change various settings, including HVAC, if that no longer works once you're in AA mode, then that's a broken system, period.

Is the OP certain that the voice commands work just fine without AA enabled, and once enabled, the voice commands get taken over by the phone, but the OB doesn't support setting HVAC via AA?
I will give you credit there. It is absolutely poor implementation and/or buggy. But, IMO, not a net loss.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
1,107 Posts

Let me guess, you're one of those folks I see texting and staring at their technology instead of doing your main duty while behind the wheel.

I'm hardly a luddite here. I have a house and car full of technology, but I know which ones are the most efficient for the task I want to complete. You seem to only use tech for tech's sake.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i PZEV Tungsten Outback Limited W/Moonroof, Accessory Value Package A.
114 Posts
True, but then your eyes are off the road for 2 to 3 seconds.
Hasn't that been the case since beginning of people driving cars? When everything was manual.
I think we are becoming to dependent on technology where we are to lazy to reach over and change the radio, or adjust the climate control. I have had manual controls since the 70's and didn't have voice control till my 2006 accord. I very rarely used it, it was less convenient that just changing the control. Partly cause the voice commands were not as obvious as they needed to be to remember them. Even when I get the ability to voice activate and change things when I get a 2018 OB, I will probably use it sparingly.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 2.5i
336 Posts
But a lot of the people now saying use the knobs are the same ones who told the OP of the my-subaru-feels-unsafe thread to use the voice commands instead of the knobs. I’d get some of the defensiveness if this were a Subaru design team forum, but I’m assuming no one here was personally behind moving the clock (the first time), and the it's good enough for me so it should be good enough for you attitude eliminates any usefulness of discourse.

As for technology making us lazy, I don't think that's the issue - I remember my dad's car with an AM radio, 2 knobs, and 4-5 preset buttons. You weren't trying to adjust the eq or decide between 2gb of tunes or XM or Pandora. And an important difference was that you used to have tactile feedback for dial/level/button settings. That goes away with touch screens and digital controls (it's a good thing the Tesla 3 can drive itself). And of course there were fewer cars and the drivers of those cars weren’t texting. The number of options/controls/distractions keeps increasing, and designers don’t always get usability/safety right. Criticizing questionable design choices isn’t a bad thing. Cars at this price level are commodities, and companies, at least ones that want to grow sales, want and need real feedback from potential customers (e.g., clock location, wind noise, auto-lock doors).

One useful and interesting thing I’ve found with some of these threads is that they’ve encouraged me to think more about ergonomic features in my current cars and my driving characteristics that I’ve otherwise become used to, such as how long I look in the rear view mirrors and how they’re positioned, or the relative height of the brake and gas pedals (in my VW, the brake is about 1” higher than the gas. Actually checked that out this morning. Didn’t even notice where they were when I test drove an Outback earlier this year, but I’ll have to think about when I go look at 2018s. FYI, I do like having the brake pedal higher as it makes it essentially impossible to be on both pedals at the same time, regardless of whether you want brakes or acceleration. But that’s another thread…).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts