Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5 Touring
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of getting my wife either a 2018 Crosstrek or Impreza. I know it will come down to her opinion of each car but I was wondering if anyone has thoughts which of these two models would ride better or just be the better of the two to own.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
Same vehicle, Crosstrek is Impreza on stilts.

Same engines, transmissions, interiors, etc. Same vehicle.

You need a sedan or a hatch pretending to be a wagon/mini suv?

·
Registered
2018 3.6R limited w/eyesight Subaru Outback....sold my 2011, Subaru Outback, 2,5i Spt Pack.
159 Posts
The crosstrek has the new SGP on it so it rides better than the previous gen platform. You wife needs to test drive both.
I had the 2003 impreza back then. Great car...but too small for the toys. Got the 2.5, 11" Outback instead and never looked back. Now with the 3/6R 18' even more superb in eery department. I like the crosstrek but too small for my toys plus I really really wanted the hill holder/electronic parking brake. Not available in the Crosstrek. Hard to go back to the traditional parking brake after experiencing it.

If you wife doesn't care about toys or fancier electronics, the Crosstrek is a good nimble size to drive around.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5 Touring
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My wife generally likes smaller cars. I just got a 2018 OB Touring and she thought that was big. I am mor partial to the Crosstrek. I'm assuming it most likely drives the same as the Impreza.

·
Registered
Honda owner shopping for a 2018 Outback but holding off due to head unit issues
91 Posts
I'm currently also researching, and looked at both the 2018 Outback and 2018 Crosstrek the other day. I have NOT test driven either of them, but here are my thoughts on the Crosstrek (Limited trim) on the interior/exterior and other miscellaneous things:

• I love the look of the new dash.
  • If the Crosstrek's user/driver interface functions like the 2017 Impreza as described here, that is awesome!
  • Compact size is great for tight parking spots.
  • Subaru's best features (e.g. AWD, high ground clearance, and EyeSight) in a relatively affordable package.
  • Nice roof rails.
  • Driver's seat feels like sitting in a sedan (which is comfortable, at least to me)
  • Global Platform (better safety, more quiet, more rigid -- but I did not test drive so I did not confirm all of this)

Dislikes:

• Overall cargo space is not as big as the OB's (no surprise here) so compromising is necessary when loading stuff.
  • I did not like that the armrest console is rather small (compared to the OB and my current Accord).
  • I also did not like that the storage space right under the climate control settings cannot be closed to hide things from view.
  • No rear AC vents for the kids.
  • Passenger seat has no power controls.

I wouldn't mind a Crosstrek as a daily commuter car if:

• I like the way it drives when I actually test drive it. :smile2:
  • I don't have to put my kids in the back often (due to lack of rear AC vents).
  • My other car is an Outback for hauling stuff. :grin2:

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
5,199 Posts
I would go for the Crosstrek as I do not like the way options are packaged on the Impreza. The importance of the additional ground clearance cannot be understated.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'd take the Impreza for the simple fact that I love the "Sport" option. Red Stitched interior, nice options, better suspension. It also helps that I like cloth interior instead of leather and, to get those better options in a Crosstrek you have to get Leather.

·
Registered
Outbrat XT, Foz, 3.0R Limited
4,605 Posts
The crosstrek has the new SGP on it so it rides better than the previous gen platform. You wife needs to test drive both.
I had the 2003 impreza back then. Great car...but too small for the toys. Got the 2.5, 11" Outback instead and never looked back. Now with the 3/6R 18' even more superb in eery department. I like the crosstrek but too small for my toys plus I really really wanted the hill holder/electronic parking brake. Not available in the Crosstrek. Hard to go back to the traditional parking brake after experiencing it.

If you wife doesn't care about toys or fancier electronics, the Crosstrek is a good nimble size to drive around.
What is SGP?

·
Registered
50 Posts
SGP stands for Subaru Global Platform. All Subarus will be going to this platform. 2017 Impreza, 2018 Crosstrek, 2019 Forester, 2019 Ascent, 2020 Legacy/Outback, 2020 WRX/STI

·
Registered
2018 Outback Premium 2.5
21 Posts
Both are great cars. I have a 2013 Impreza as my daily commuter and still really like it except for one thing. The seat is very low which makes getting in and out feel like I'm climbing out of it. For that reason I'd go Crosstrek for that extra seat height if I had to pick again. But that's my preference.

·
Registered
2015 3.6 Premium
1,186 Posts
As mvray points out in his post above the Impreza is low. My wife has just come from an 08 Impreza into a 17 XV (Crosstrek). As a light fit 50 year old I found the Impreza a pain to get in and out of.

·
Registered
'17 3.6R traded for '16 T4R Limited
15 Posts
Also recommend that she drive both, ideally back to back. Spend some time with each, not a rushed around the block test drive. Drive both under the conditions she tends to drive in most of the time.

My wife chose a Crosstrek as she liked the ground clearance for back roads, "bumps" and snow. She said it was easy to drive and she could see a little better because of its elevated driving position. She found it a fun, very easy to drive and practical car.
Both are not very fast, same/similar mechanicals: Ultimately, she wished it had more power and a year later moved to a Forester XT.
Wife and I both agree with Mr. Wilko about the entry and exit.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium, silver
457 Posts
Impreza hatch with CVT is about 200lbs lighter then a Crosstrek with CVT.

Same engine, so that might make a difference in acceleration and handling.

I happen to love my wife’s ‘11 OB Sport except for ground clearance and wouldn’t consider the Crosstrek unless they shoved the turbo 2.0 in it.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag (retired: 2.5 Ltd Sedan)
26,225 Posts
one thing about driving outbacks,...no great need to worry about dragging the front lip on a parking curb.
(just roll the car all the way in until the tires hit it.)

if someone gave me a impreza I would be out to put crosstrek suspension on it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts