Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback 4
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to dump the silly gear simulation when in "D".

If I have interpreted the firmware action correctly, the CVT controller simulates gears with each drive-off from stopped. This includes pulling and then re-applying throttle at each "shift". Upon lifting the gas pedal, the controller goes into a true CVT mode of infinite adjustment, maximizing economy or acceleration.

Can this mode be turned off?

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,379 Posts
No.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited
51 Posts
I have no problem with it... actually think it's pretty rad. I did notice on our 2016 that it skips shifts when accelerating onto the freeway, and you have the pedal to the metal... the CVT just sort of "glides" up to speed and all of a sudden you're going 60+...

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
I have the 2011 CVT which doesn't "step" through the gears. Essentially it makes the powertrain noisy and loud and it lags a little. I'd rather keep the volume of the transmission/engine down for the most part. Sounds like I'm driving a boat.

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium (The Superoo), Graphite Gray Metallic, CVT, Yoko Geolandar G015 AT 225/65R-17
236 Posts
One of the things I like about my droning CVT is the idea that my transmission is always in the "right" ratio. That's the main advantage of having a CVT besides the advantage (maybe) of less moving parts. Why would I want to reduce the performance of the transmission down to what a traditional geared transmission does just for the sake of it "feeling normal". It's like putting a propane burner and stove pipe on a Prius so that it can have an exhaust system like a regular car.

Embrace your car having the ability to maximize fuel efficiency or ideal torque in any given situation!

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited Eyesight - Remote Start - Auto Dimming In/Outside Mirrors
249 Posts
It's like putting a propane burner and stove pipe on a Prius so that it can have an exhaust system like a regular car.

Embrace your car having the ability to maximize fuel efficiency or ideal torque in any given situation!
May come in handy for a tailgate BBQ??? :eek:

Reactions: tmac

·
Registered
5 Posts
CVT Shift?

Why does my CVT shift? Does it do that because ther are some folks that like a car to SHIFT. Hmmmmm if so than I would have bought a car without a CVT. Can I turn it off?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,163 Posts
Reactions: west_minist

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,379 Posts
Because Subaru did not design it that way?

Could a good tuner potentially remove this code? Maybe. Could that have potential effects of overall CVT behavior as a result? Not something I would want to be the test subject for without winning a lottery/having money to burn.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
In addition, please review here. I guess the tranny performance been optimised for the 2015+, especially for the 2017+.

Subaru Crosstrek XV - Xtreme Racing Tuning
XRT Subaru CVT Tuning
http://xtremeracingtuning.com/2017/06/11/subaru-torque-management-patch-xtmp/
Those videos are great. I like the linear response I see compared to my stock tune now where the RPM’s have to rev and bounce around a bit before you start getting some momentum.

I’d be all over this for my 2011 but I’m sure it would explode at this point.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Lol. To be honest, he will do a new video, because I have never driven a CVT. So his exact feedback and the knowledge of the previous CVT's and 4/5EAT's helps.
Yeah my older Subaru was the 09 legacy which was the last one before they went CVT in the new gen.

How does this work? It basically turns to tune on the CVT to behave more like a regular AT? Can it be done with stock components? (You can PM me if you’d like with other details about it)

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I know. It was a jump to see the change, but knowing how Subaru market, it was not a surprised.

CVT is AT. Its implementation change over the years, but the same terminology is there. The day will come when there is no cabin to engine noise to have the engine runs at different level to effect the CVT that we don't bother with or grown to accept gear changing.

I remember the day when a stone damage my tranny. Use to go straight from 1st to 3rd. Hold 3rd from cruising to rev limit. I kind of use to like it.

The CVT also use transfer clutches. The quiicker those lock and lock firmly, the better the shifting.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
I know. It was a jump to see the change, but knowing how Subaru market, it was not a surprised.

CVT is AT. Its implementation change over the years, but the same terminology is there. The day will come when there is no cabin to engine noise to have the engine runs at different level to effect the CVT that we don't bother with or grown to accept gear changing.

I remember the day when a stone damage my tranny. Use to go straight from 1st to 3rd. Hold 3rd from cruising to rev limit. I kind of use to like it.

The CVT also use transfer clutches. The quiicker those lock and lock firmly, the better the shifting.
Ok. So if I want to tune this, is the rom a product that you sell to me and I use a tool to install, or is this something I have to find a shop nearby to do?

·
Master Caster
🖤💔💙 3 Beautiful OBXTs
16,302 Posts
Ok. So if I want to tune this, is the rom a product that you sell to me and I use a tool to install, or is this something I have to find a shop nearby to do?
I am not XRT spokesperson, just a happy customer.

The "ROM/Tune" gets delivered to the car through the OBII port via "opensource" software found here...

https://www.tactrix.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=36

Utilizing a tactrix cable...

Tactrix Openport 2.0

Some people, like myself have been know to let their cable go out on "borrow".

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.