Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback Premium 2.5 w/ Eyesight
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving my 3-week old car home on the highway, in left lane. Rock hits driver's front side window (must have come from opposing direction on other side of concrete barrier). I didn't see it, but definitely heard it hit. Wonder if we're going to see similar sorts of issues as the cracked windshield thread as more folks get 2018s?

Window has a small chip, and a crack that spans the entire length front to back. You can tell it's the glass in between the laminate layers because you can't "feel" the crack on either side. I was skeptical when my wife said they "had the part" but I guess they didn't immediately realize that the 2018s have a different glass. Glass shop has had to special-order the part from Subaru, because of course the 2017 part won't fit and there's no aftermarket alternative at this time. Said it's OK to drive, due to the lamination it won't shatter on me, just don't open the window.

Glad I wasn't hurt (and my daughter wasn't in the car with me) and no other damage on car besides the window.

·
Premium Member
2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
3,243 Posts
Just the wrong place at the wrong time. As you said "Rock hit driver's front side window"

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul

·
Registered
2015 3.6R
1,855 Posts
A rock will do that :D That's different than the spontaneous cracking near the deicer.

·
Registered
205 Posts
2018's have replaced windshield & front windows with "acoustic glass" for extra sound deadening over 2015-2017

Thus 2018 has laminate in front side windows not found on earlier models

(first post)

·
Registered
1 Posts
2018 cracked windshield

Similarly, I have a 2018 Legacy that is 2 weeks old and it has developed a crack that originates from the lower right hand edge. No obvious chip or rock in my case. I don't think that the new glass in the 2018 has fixed the problem. I am trying to get support from the Subaru dealer but so far no luck. It is very concerning to me that Subaru wouldn't stand behind a new car for an obvious flaw in the product.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Our 2018 Subaru Outback is about 7 weeks old. We were driving on the highway. The right hand front passenger window cracked. Then another crack on the same window. Maybe it continued on beneath where the window is visible in a half circle? But cracked about 20 minutes later than the first one. Just returned home and going to the Subaru dealer now. Also cannot feel the crack with my hand. I did not hear any rock or stone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2018 Crosstrek (3 months old) cracked windshield

No obvious rock strike or impact and a massive 2 ft crack appeared over my windshield. Funny thing is NO REPLACEMENTS available in the whole US. Need to special order. Had no idea this was such a widespread issue, definitely would have not paid what I did for a new car.

Dealer is trying to help but since Subaru doesn't make their own glass, they are at the mercy of the manufacturer. Real bad to not have a stockpile of replacements considering the popularity of the 2018 models and the fact that this is a KNOWN ISSUE.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,618 Posts
Interesting, I learned something new with this. I've never heard of laminated glass on door windows before. I'm guessing mine is still tempered glass being a '17 model. That's the stuff that is very hard to break but explodes into a million small pieces if it does.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R limited w/eyesight Subaru Outback....sold my 2011, Subaru Outback, 2,5i Spt Pack.
159 Posts
I too had a rock hit on my 18 a few weeks ago on the right lower side of windshield and gave me a long crack. I could see the crack propagating as I drive. It was heading into my drivers side and I had to stop it.
I called Subaru and they said they just use the local guys for windshield replacement. I called the local guys and none of them was willing to fix the crack and said to replace it.
But when I go onto YouTube, they show you how to fix the crack. So I decided to take it upon myself to fix the crack. Bought one of those resin crack filler and stopped drill the crack with my dremel and cordless drill. It was quite painful drilling into my new windshield. That did the trick and the crack stopped.

All in all, I fixed the bulls eye and manage to fill the crack with but not quite the right tool. I could not wait for the right tool unfortunately.

Anyhow, the right tool to use it the one that shows Rain X windshield fix where you can slide the tool along the crack. Good thing I didn't replace my windshield as the next week, I had another huge rock hit below the crack!. [email protected]#$%!!...

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
So I decided to take it upon myself to fix the crack. Bought one of those resin crack filler and stopped drill the crack with my dremel and cordless drill. It was quite painful drilling into my new windshield. That did the trick and the crack stopped.
wow. this new subaru owner is a unicorn, well done!

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,426 Posts
2018's have replaced windshield & front windows with "acoustic glass" for extra sound deadening over 2015-2017

Thus 2018 has laminate in front side windows not found on earlier models

(first post)
Did not know the front Windshield on the 2018 OB was acoustic glass. I knew the front door windows were. Are you sure?

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited
16 Posts
Interesting thread. I knew about the laminated windows but it just got me to thinking. In an emergency how would you break the glass to escape if needed? We've all seen the little devices that shatter normal windows but this lamination is a new animal.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,537 Posts
Did not know the front Windshield on the 2018 OB was acoustic glass.
"Acoustic" windshields were introduced on the Legacy/Outback in MY 2015, all trim levels. This was an advertised change from previous generations.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,618 Posts
Interesting thread. I knew about the laminated windows but it just got me to thinking. In an emergency how would you break the glass to escape if needed? We've all seen the little devices that shatter normal windows but this lamination is a new animal.
That is definitely a safety concern in situations where someone is trapped or incapacitated in a vehicle, especially underwater or if there is a fire. It seems that laminated side windows started becoming common about 5 years ago or so but I had never heard of this and I'm guessing many others haven't either. Not knowing is the most dangerous thing since time could be wasted using old methods to shatter the windows instead of using alternate options.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6r
35 Posts
Spontaneous crack on my 2018 windshield a couple of days ago. Driver side, originates below the plastic molding. My insurance is going to cover it in full, but I certainly hope this doesn't become a regular "thing" over time. Windshield replacement is going to be done at the dealer with OEM glass. Frankly speaking, I think Subaru should cover this repair and not my insurance company, to the tune of ~ $950 which includes eyesight re-calibration.

·
Premium Member
3,243 Posts
Just bad luck and that it is one of the many reason for insurance. Replaced mine, just unfortunate but that is life.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul!

·
Registered
2018 Limited
108 Posts
Unfortunately, I too have suffered a crack this weekend. Didn't hear anything hit the windshield but definitely heard the crack. Upon close inspection, there is a very, very small chip. Must have hit it just right. I've been hit by many rocks and stuff over the years in other cars, and never have suffered a crack, where you hear a hard impact on the glass.

What is the dealer cost to replace? Is there a better alternative window (e.g., Pilkinton, PPG, etc)?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited Eyesight - Remote Start - Auto Dimming In/Outside Mirrors
248 Posts
I am a rock magnet ... I have seen rocks defy gravity to just hit my windshield.

If I did not have free chip repair in my coverage, I would move to another insurance company.

I have had a couple cases though where I got like the chip on a Saturday, and by the time Monday rolled around, the chip had spread to a point where it could not be repaired. From there it was like my deductible or something like that to replace the windshield.

I have been dinged a few times already and only 6 months in. Thus far though the hits have not been cracks and hence they have not needed repairs. It is not a matter of if but when for me.

With Eyesight however I am more observant about my windshield though because I would really not look forward to a new windshield followed by having the Eyesight tuned. If I can get the chip before it spreads in theory I should be okay. Well, that is my hope - fingers crossed.

·
Premium Member
3,243 Posts
Unfortunately, I too have suffered a crack this weekend. Didn't hear anything hit the windshield but definitely heard the crack. Upon close inspection, there is a very, very small chip. Must have hit it just right. I've been hit by many rocks and stuff over the years in other cars, and never have suffered a crack, where you hear a hard impact on the glass.

What is the dealer cost to replace? Is there a better alternative window (e.g., Pilkinton, PPG, etc)?

Thanks in advance!
Enjoy the Read!

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/showthread.php?p=2358954

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts