Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I am hoping for some ideas here. Brand new, 2018 Legacy with the H6 engine. Engine started making a loud whine, noticeable at idle, after it warmed up. This began about a 500 miles ago, at 2000 mile mark. I took it in at 2500 mile mark after it seemed to worsen. Subaru mechanic with over 40 years of experience and 2 other Subaru mechanics (all three at the dealer) are a bit stumped. Mechanic removed the accessory belt thinking it might be idler pulley or a/c compressor or alternator but it is not any of these. Now he is thinking the only explanation is the water pump. Seems like really bad luck for a water pump to go bad this early.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,304 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium ; 2019 Outback Premium
124 Posts
Hey everyone. I am hoping for some ideas here. Brand new, 2018 Legacy with the H6 engine. Engine started making a loud whine, noticeable at idle, after it warmed up. This began about a 500 miles ago, at 2000 mile mark. I took it in at 2500 mile mark after it seemed to worsen. Subaru mechanic with over 40 years of experience and 2 other Subaru mechanics (all three at the dealer) are a bit stumped. Mechanic removed the accessory belt thinking it might be idler pulley or a/c compressor or alternator but it is not any of these. Now he is thinking the only explanation is the water pump. Seems like really bad luck for a water pump to go bad this early.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
I have a 16 Outback with the 2.5 engine and had the same issue at about the same mileage. Mine sounded like a bad belt. High pitched squeal after the car warmed up. First they replaced the alternator. I brought it home and next day same problem. They had it for a week and brought some folks in from Subaru to find the issue. They determined it to be an issue with the water pump as well. They replaced the water pump and all has been fine since. I have a little over 13k miles on it now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How Subaru repaired the H6 Engine whine

I wanted to update what Subaru fixed (under warranty) on my 2018 H6 Legacy.
-New water pump installed
-Mechanic also found the drive pulley for the a/c was cracked, so it was replaced
-A/C compressor was replaced.

So far, so good.

Unrelated-someone hit my car in a parking lot last week causing $1300 worth of damage to the left rear quarter panel/passenger door.

Of course, nobody saw anything and no note was left.

At least the car is drivable while I wait to have it repaired.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Ltd 2.5
23 Posts
Bummer about the parking lot. I had a deer hit my front left fender to the tune of $2500 last week. He didn't leave a note, either.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts