Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 2.5i Premium - No Eyesight (and proud of it)
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I find that the tweeter sound is way too harsh for a nice balanced eq sound.
2018 Premium trim with the tweeter upgrade from factory.
I have to EQ the highs all the way down and then there's still too much.
Would it be detrimental to the system if I just disconnected the front dash tweeters ?
Has anyone successfully replaced these tweeters with an option that provides less harsh frequencies ?
Would covering the tweeters with acoustic foam under the dash plate muffle the excessive tweeter sound ?
Also, is there an update to the infotainment system to allow more than just 3 EQ points ?
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2018 OB Premium 2.5i Nav
29 Posts
Hello, I find that the tweeter sound is way too harsh for a nice balanced eq sound.
2018 Premium trim with the tweeter upgrade from factory.

I have to EQ the highs all the way down and then there's still too much.

Would it be detrimental to the system if I just disconnected the front dash tweeters ?

Has anyone successfully replaced these tweeters with an option that provides less harsh frequencies ?

Would covering the tweeters with acoustic foam under the dash plate muffle the excessive tweeter sound ?

Also, is there an update to the infotainment system to allow more than just 3 EQ points ?

Thanks for the help.

It's a bad joke that they call the front tweeters an upgrade. They're horrible. I replaced them with 2- way Infinity 3.5" from Crutchfield. Huge improvement.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a bad joke that they call the front tweeters an upgrade. They're horrible. I replaced them with 2- way Infinity 3.5" from Crutchfield. Huge improvement.

That's great, do you by chance have the model number of those speakers you installed ?

Thanks !

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you use the crossovers from the original speakers on the Infinity or just connect direct without crossovers ?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, after some internal debate, I ordered 6 replacement Infinity speakers from Crutchfield. I'll document my progress and results for those interested.

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,192 Posts
I wonder if the factory guys grabbed the wrong ohm-rated speakers - that sort of harsh sound is common when the overall ohm rating ( usually from putting too many speakers of a low ohm rating in parallel).

·
Registered
2018 OB Premium 2.5i Nav
29 Posts
Good luck p12. I did some pink noise testing that shows the door speakers aren't too bad from 100-1KHz, so the dash 3.5 upgrade fixed the biggest problem. If you put 6x9s in front doors that'll help bass.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good luck p12. I did some pink noise testing that shows the door speakers aren't too bad from 100-1KHz, so the dash 3.5 upgrade fixed the biggest problem. If you put 6x9s in front doors that'll help bass.

Thanks,

I'm putting these in dash : Infinity Reference REF-3032cfx
these in Front Doors: Infinity Reference REF-9632ix
these in Rear Doors: Infinity Reference REF-6532ex

All driven by stock head w/o additional components.

I'll report back with detail on the installation and results.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Okay, Due to time constraints, I am doing this project in stages.

I installed the dash speakers yesterday.

The install took about an hour. I installed the included capacitors inline on the positive line into the speakers, they act as bass blockers to make sure the speakers aren't over driven.

These speakers are pretty much a drop in replacement however, the right unit was more of a challenge. I had to manipulate the terminals a bit to get the speaker to go in.

Results: Much more mid range and mid bass from these little drivers. The definition is so much better and the highs from the tweeter are clearer and not piercing. The volume level is very good as these speakers have a high sensitivity.

I would say a definite success and well worth the money and time.

The next phase will be the front door speakers.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks troubleshooter.

I do want to add that on the way to work this morning, I noticed that the highs are still a bit too pronounced for my taste.

I attribute that to the crappy EQ on the power head. I still can't believe they put such a limited range of EQ on this thing !

What I decided to do is add a 1"x1" piece of 3/8" thick insulating foam between the top of the tweeter and the plastic grill cover.

This is attenuating the high frequency volume level, giving a more balanced mix. Now after initial evaluation, I have the EQ highs set at -5 rather that -9.

Cheers

·
Registered
2018 OB Premium 2.5i Nav
29 Posts
A perhaps better way to do that would be to unsolder one end of the small cap (not the bass blocker). If that leaves you with not quite enough treble, you could put a resistive pad between the cap and the dome tweeter. 2.4 ohms series and 2.7 shunt is -8 dB.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, what I ended up doing was disconnecting the negative wire going to the tweeter, The total ohm resistance is the same either way at 2.5 ohms.

I find it much better now. The cone driver puts out enough highs for me without the tweeter.

BTW- these speakers are supposed to be rated 3 ohms and 4 with the total car wiring. If I am planning on replacing the door speakers as well then do I run into a potential issue of overheating the amp due to the decrease in speaker ohms over the stock speakers ?

I measure 5.5 ohms on the original dash speakers.

Do you know if the dash and front door speakers are wired in parallel or series ?

Are the rear door speakers on an independent channel from the rest ?

Thanks !

·
Registered
2018 OB Premium 2.5i Nav
29 Posts
The 3 ohm rating gives you about 20% more peak power, at the cost of slightly increased distortion at low to moderate levels (well below clipping). Most reviewers agree that the net result is quite favorable. The lower load impedance will make the amplifier run hotter if you play it fairly loud (about half power) but car radio designers generally put in enough heat sinking to handle 2 ohm loads.

What you measure with an ohm meter is not the impedance.

Car speakers are never wired in series. Some are parallel, but in the 18 Outback you can pan the "location" front to back on screen, which makes me pretty certain each of the 6 speakers has its own amplifier channel.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
troubleshooter, thanks a bunch for the info !

I shouldn't be so concerned about overheating unless I push the volume to high for too long. Is this a safe assumption ? I do not play music loud. I am looking for quality over volume.

By disconnecting the tweeter on this coax speaker I did not change the impedance ?

Is it true that the car wiring actually adds to the impedance rating of the channel ? Even though the speaker is 3 then the overall is going to be 4 ?

I'm curious though, do you know if the amp has an overheat protector built in ?

Thank you !

·
Premium Member
2018 Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R Crystal White Pearl/black interior
384 Posts
I am following this thread closely as I want to improve the sound in my wifes newly acquired 2018 Outback. The system pales in comparison to her 2012 Camry Hybrid.

Do you have any pictures you could share of either the speakers or the install?

·
Registered
2018 OB Premium 2.5i Nav
29 Posts
You're welcome! With the price we paid to Subaru, they should be more forthright providing specs and details.
Yes, I think we don't have to worry about overheating due to the 3 ohm speakers.
Impedance is not simply a number, it changes over frequency... but for practical purposes in this case, no change.
Yes the wiring adds a little impedance, but that should be much less than 1 ohm.
I don't know for sure about this head, but nearly all car amp chips have Thermal Shut Down built in.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts