Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also the active blue buttons, one is flat on bottom, while the one on left still had the gradient highlight. And the SXM in white text is very close to being unreadable with the white highlight. Darker text or darker background highlight would help.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
971 Posts
I agree with about all of that. Too much wasted space when there are text lines that are truncated. Valid point about SXM being shown in multiple places. Hadn't thought of enlarging the cover art. My granddaughter is always interested in the artwork, and also wants to know the year of a song (which is often chopped off the end of the text).

Certainly doesn't seem like someone with a design background provided any input.

·
Registered
2007 Outback L.L. Bean 3.0, 2018 Outback Limited 3.6R
140 Posts
Harman-Kardon is the source of these units, so they design them.

·
Registered
2019 Outback 3.6R Limited Eyesight, 2018 Legacy 3.6R Eyesight
273 Posts
I agree. The album art is in the absolute wrong place. It cuts off all but the shortest titles on my iPod. This is one area where the previous head unit did a better job- art to the left of the contents. I wonder if the "new" 3.1 version on the 2019 addresses any of this.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 2.5i
52 Posts
Valid point about SXM being shown in multiple places.
While I'm not going to try argue that it's "good" design, the SXM tag stays in the same spot regardless of what screen you're on (maps, vehicle info, etc) and can be tapped to show the channel info without switching to the "Radio" screen. While it is redundant while on the "Radio" screen, it's probably rendered on a higher-level overlay, and they didn't bother to set up anything to remove it on that one screen...

As for the others, I don't really disagree. I tend not to use the head unit for all that much, so most of it doesn't bother me much (I'd rather it scroll the bottom banner to the correct preset page as I change presets with the steering wheel controls as the highest priority issue), but I can see how the rest of the changes would be better.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
971 Posts
While I'm not going to try argue that it's "good" design, the SXM tag stays in the same spot regardless of what screen you're on (maps, vehicle info, etc) and can be tapped to show the channel info without switching to the "Radio" screen. While it is redundant while on the "Radio" screen, it's probably rendered on a higher-level overlay, and they didn't bother to set up anything to remove it on that one screen...
You have a point there, as it does show across multiple screens and that should simplify the overall programming to keep the top bar the same.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 2.5i
333 Posts
Main thing for me is the non-scrolling title, which is also a problem with USB (especially if you have to lead off with the track #) or BT.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts