Subaru Outback Forums banner

2001 - 2020 of 2079 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
When I can finally use Map Updater again ... I hope it only provides me with the correct updates for my 2018, eyesight, fixed recall, head unit.

·
Registered
199 Posts
That one showed up in feb though.
Huh? We're getting no where, lol. The Feb update that was released for the MY2019 was the one that was recalled, correct? There was an earlier different firmware for the MY2019 that was released last year and had 2018 in its name. Too bad the search feature for this new forum is so poor now. You can't even find the exact date a post was written.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2.5 Limited, NO Navigation, NO Eyesight. I am making an educated guess my headunit is the same as (or substantially similar to) a 2.5 Premium that has NO Eyesight and NO Navigation.

There are MANY features (beyond the ones you mentioned) that cause my headunit to have tentacles embedded in the car. There is a menu that allows access to monitoring while the car is not being driven. It is stuff that you would normally access via the OBD2 port and more features beyond that. There are also secret service menus that are not referenced in the manual.

So, if you wanted to install an aftermarket head unit, you would have to find the ASICs, pins, and wires associated with those features and disable them. However, one ASIC might control the features you don’t care about and also the features you do care about (sounds like a pain).

Interesting question though, let us know if you do it. I expect this headunit to be the main reason to sell my Outback after less than 10 years of ownership. (I normally keep a car for 15+ years.) If I have to sell sooner than desired and if the latest Outback has a ridiculously complex headunit, I will NOT be buying an Outback at that time.
Jake,
Thanks for the insights. So the non-Nav HU is more complex than I was guessing. I'm a BSEE, but I won't be trying to reproduce/simulate functions at the ASIC level.

Apparently, considerable system "monitoring" would be lost in my endevour; and possibly additional issues that could even affect CheckEngineLite under some conditions. I have to keep in mind that companies like Crutchfield will say that a particular Pioneer HU is "compatible" w/ the 2019 Outback. So there must be some limit to the impact of replacing the HU.

Guess I have to look into potential warranty issues as well. I will definitely report back to this thread if I'm successful w/ an aftermkt HU (HU settled on, problems involved, etc). Will also be checking the forum for early assessments of the 2020 Nav HU. That could make my job much easier, tho may co$t more.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Jake,
Thanks for the insights. So the non-Nav HU is more complex than I was guessing. I'm a BSEE, but I won't be trying to reproduce/simulate functions at the ASIC level.

Apparently, considerable system "monitoring" would be lost in my endevour; and possibly additional issues that could even affect CheckEngineLite under some conditions. I have to keep in mind that companies like Crutchfield will say that a particular Pioneer HU is "compatible" w/ the 2019 Outback. So there must be some limit to the impact of replacing the HU.

Guess I have to look into potential warranty issues as well. I will definitely report back to this thread if I'm successful w/ an aftermkt HU (HU settled on, problems involved, etc). Will also be checking the forum for early assessments of the 2020 Nav HU. That could make my job much easier, tho may co$t more.
Hey, maybe the Crutchfield aftermarket headunit is plug and play (?). I have no idea.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Jake,

But let’s backup. Not all headunits have problems. My headunit has had zero problems. (I am here only because I am weird and enjoy reading about this kind of stuff.)

It appears that most of the problems have been occurring with headunits that have Navigation. You might be worried for no reason.

·
Registered
5 Posts
But let’s backup. Not all headunits have problems. My headunit has had zero problems. (I am here only because I am weird and enjoy reading about this kind of stuff.)

It appears that most of the problems have been occurring with headunits that have Navigation. You might be worried for no reason.
I know it's confusing what I'm trying to do; we definitely want in-dash Nav, either OEM or non-aftermkt. Was interested in your headunit cuz that is what I'd be replacing, and trying to make the Outback work as close as possible, w/ the exception of adding the aftermkt's Nav functionality.

Regarding plug&play, I'd say that would depend on your definition. I can not imagine "full functionality" w/ aftermkt; I'm just trying to guestimate how much it would be different from your headunit. I know someone w/ a 2018 Touring, which I can borrow his Audi/Nav user manual to help w/ my guesstimate. I now understand it has Nav & non-Nav info.
Thanks again for your good words!

·
Registered
923 Posts
Jake,

Some thoughts:

Someone posted somewhere, a link to a HU that has a CANBUS interface. Which is interesting, because potentially, it could be programmed to "talk" the Subaru proprietary protocol / extension stuff to keep it integrated highly with the system it replaces. I hope someone reading this reposts the URL to it.

If you are interested in a 2018, 19, 20, you owe it to yourself to bring your Apple or Android Smartphone which hopefully you verified works with a friend's HU, and a known good USB cable. Then try that out on the Subaru after you have checked out the car's driveability / responsiveness and other features that are important to you. I don't think it's fair to purchase a vehicle based on the HU.

That said, I remain a bit disappointed frankly in the implementation of the car-specific stuff in the '19, and specifically the mishandling of audio sources when I get into and out of the car. It should not switch sources on me. I know there are work-arounds and that with a firmware update, Subaru could make the native HU a great interface with a bit more effort.

For the 2020, the HU should be "Wireless" Android-Auto ready. If it is not - they need to upgrade the firmware and make it compatible. Personally, if the '19 HU won't do it now, I'm investigating something called AAGATEWAY running on a small android stick, connected via USB to the HU. It essentially turns a non-wireless HU into a wireless one for use with Android Auto. For Apple Car Play - I am not up on if the HUs support a wireless connection. For 2020, that HU should do either wireless AA or Apple CP.

Ask the sales rep. If he/she doesn't know, don't count it against them. Have them find out. Subaru needs to be on-point with the advancing technology.

For my wife and I, the NAV version of the '19 HU held very little if no value over non-NAV. We are conversant in both Android and (I to a lesser extent) Apple eco-systems. My feeling is, once you experience say Google Maps or Waze running on a smartphone, and now, Android Auto with it's new User Interface running them, and playing a stored or streaming podcast, your music, or handling other text interactions with SMS or What's App, taking and receiving calls, you can't then unsee the value the smartphone integration brings to the HU.

We also thought, why would we pay for a NAV system that probably wouldn't get updated often? If it did, and was high-quality, AND (this is important) it was free or very inexpensive to update the NAV DB for the life of the vehicle (yep), then the value proposition might change a bit.

However, in our case, when you factor in just how good G.Maps and Waze is (I presume Apple Maps is good - but you can always use G.Maps instead), you're likely to be expecting to use it in any car, and on any rental you get in and drive as you take the whole capability with you. So... What is NAV really worth to you?

I think if you are NOT a smartphone user and never plan to be, then the NAV makes perfect sense, but should it cost appreciably more? If so, how much?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Some thoughts:

Someone posted somewhere, a link to a HU that has a CANBUS interface. Which is interesting, because potentially, it could be programmed to "talk" the Subaru proprietary protocol / extension stuff to keep it integrated highly with the system it replaces. I hope someone reading this reposts the URL to it.

If you are interested in a 2018, 19, 20, you owe it to yourself to bring your Apple or Android Smartphone which hopefully you verified works with a friend's HU, and a known good USB cable. Then try that out on the Subaru after you have checked out the car's driveability / responsiveness and other features that are important to you. I don't think it's fair to purchase a vehicle based on the HU.

That said, I remain a bit disappointed frankly in the implementation of the car-specific stuff in the '19, and specifically the mishandling of audio sources when I get into and out of the car. It should not switch sources on me. I know there are work-arounds and that with a firmware update, Subaru could make the native HU a great interface with a bit more effort.

For the 2020, the HU should be "Wireless" Android-Auto ready. If it is not - they need to upgrade the firmware and make it compatible. Personally, if the '19 HU won't do it now, I'm investigating something called AAGATEWAY running on a small android stick, connected via USB to the HU. It essentially turns a non-wireless HU into a wireless one for use with Android Auto. For Apple Car Play - I am not up on if the HUs support a wireless connection. For 2020, that HU should do either wireless AA or Apple CP.

Ask the sales rep. If he/she doesn't know, don't count it against them. Have them find out. Subaru needs to be on-point with the advancing technology.

For my wife and I, the NAV version of the '19 HU held very little if no value over non-NAV. We are conversant in both Android and (I to a lesser extent) Apple eco-systems. My feeling is, once you experience say Google Maps or Waze running on a smartphone, and now, Android Auto with it's new User Interface running them, and playing a stored or streaming podcast, your music, or handling other text interactions with SMS or What's App, taking and receiving calls, you can't then unsee the value the smartphone integration brings to the HU.

We also thought, why would we pay for a NAV system that probably wouldn't get updated often? If it did, and was high-quality, AND (this is important) it was free or very inexpensive to update the NAV DB for the life of the vehicle (yep), then the value proposition might change a bit.

However, in our case, when you factor in just how good G.Maps and Waze is (I preife & I sume Apple Maps is good - but you can always use G.Maps instead), you're likely to be expecting to use it in any car, and on any rental you get in and drive as you take the whole capability with you. So... What is NAV really worth to you?

I think if you are NOT a smartphone user and never plan to be, then the NAV makes perfect sense, but should it cost appreciably more? If so, how much?
STF,
Some very good thoughts. Really value ur experience & opinions on the 2019 OB Nav; especially since this is will be our first built-in Nav.

Wife & I both android smartphone users, so will definitely take ur advice:
-Test smartphone-to-Android Auto interface on cousin's 2018 OB Touring.
-Then, try on a 2020 when they hit car lots this fall.
Just discovered yesterday that most 2020 trim-lines will have an 11.4" HU!

Still interested in access to CAN/ODB type data and will be following those discussions. As a passenger, I'd peek-in on real-time engine & trans temps, oil pressure, batt. voltage, etc. I'm even anal enough to document particular values after break-in; to compare 5, 10, 15 years later.

Agree is not astute to buy a car primarily based on it's HU. Other than switching audio sources, could you list any other disappointments in ur 2019? For this I will also read more of the 5thGen threads. Kudos to you & other posters for sharing your experiences with actionable ideas to us new-comers.
-Jose

·
Registered
923 Posts
Jose.
I use a rather inexpensive BT dongle for an OBDII reader and connect via Bluetooth to my Android (LG V30, about to be updated to Pie. I want my slice of pie already). The BEST $25 you'll spend. I use it to read codes in the Subaru (none yet), my Audi A4 2010 (RIP), my Accord 2002, and my wife's Jeep Wrangler Sport 2012. The reader and the program TorquePro below have saved me silly money!

Never ever ever go into a service shop without knowing the codes you have behind the check engine light. That's my lesson to anyone reading this post. Seriously, try to get a good handle what you are looking at BEFORE you go in. And if you are mechanically inclined, you can make some simple repairs with the assistance of YouTube. It's nice to know when a car throws the light because you left the gas cap loose (shhhh it's been the wife a number of times, but she doesn't read this kind of social media so I'm safe).

But if your wife, kids or neighbors have a light, it's dinner, or at least beers, whiskey, scotch or wine on them, right? I mean, it's so very tough to plug the dongle in and connect via BT to your phone and run the program... One needs compensation for one's knowledge, resourcefulness and preparedness I say.

Here is the reader I purchased years and years ago; it's old but look at the purchase count:
Bluetooth OBDII Reader - Amazon

On my phone I run TorquePro from the Playstore.
TorquePro for Android

I also downloaded Active OBD for Subaru from the Playstore once I picked up our '19 in June. So when you get your Subaru, install this and you can look at a number of other Subaru-specific parameters.
Active OBD for Android

There are other add-ins for TorquePro on the PlayStore. There are other programs I think you can run with the dongle. YMMV

I know there are other reader methods, software and dongles out there. This stuff has worked dependably for me so I can recommend.
Sam

p.s. The HeadUnit has a diagnostic mode. You can call up a number of parameters with it. Google it. It's a simple gymnastic trick with the buttons on the HU. I prefer however to use the OBDII dongle and TorquePro/ActiveOBD. Enjoy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I first did the ODB2 dongle-to-android-TorquePro science project about 8 yrs ago; was alot of steps to master, limited parameters available, repeat on 2 more vehicles, remember steps 300 beers later when Chk Eng Lite went on. Probably have not used either of my dongles in last 2 years, as I dread resurecting the system.

Call me lazy, but here's to hoping the new head unit can provide the data with less hassle.
Cheers, Jose

·
Registered
26 Posts
Other than the crappy backup lights, the radio is the single complaint I have about my 19 OB. Who at Subaru though this was a good idea? Don't they have a human interface expert to sort this stuff out? Must not cause I had these issues with the same head unit on the 17 Forester.

·
Registered
576 Posts
What version of AA are you using and what phone are you connecting with? I am glad to hear someone is having success. Did you have to change any settings from the previous version of AA?
V4.5.592854 on ZTE Axon 7, no changes in settings

·
Registered
270 Posts
The new version of Android Auto made it's appearance yesterday. It works absolutely wonderful on my 2017 Honda Ridgeline, but it won't even connect on my 2018 Outback. Another fail for the Subaru headunit.
I updated Android Auto to version 4.5.592854 after reading your post this morning, works fine in my '18 Subaru. Also updated maps and Waze.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Thanks, I went out today and it worked fine in the Outback. Not sure what was wrong. I take back some of the bad things I said about my Subie.
AA has been pretty solid in my '19HU. There are days when it doesn't want to connect. Don't know why. Other times, I have no issues leaving the phone plugged in and starting the car, or plugging it in after starting the car, or rebooting the phone, yada yada, and it works.

Was a bit miffed when I was playing a podcast, stopped to get something to eat, got back in the car, and I was back at the beginning of the podcast. Bad Google, bad. Then there were no "seek" buttons. Angry Google, angry. But I realized I could say OK Google, Skip forward 10 minutes or Skip backwards. Didn't try "seek" instead of "skip". Should work.

Still a bit of a work in progress, but has come a really long way since the previous version. Makes the implementation of the Head Unit bearable. Between the driver's side mirror that has limited travel and cannot be adjusted as I've done in all cars I've ever driven, the HU was the other item that stuck out during my test drive as faults of the car's basic design.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Map Updater has me back up & running. I'm downloading Rel_A1.19.17.20 NAFTA USA Canada and Mexico_1021_6891_9309 right now. So hopefully that is the latest update for my 2018 Outback Touring.

2001 - 2020 of 2079 Posts
About this Discussion
2.1K Replies
498 Participants
hack14u
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing