Subaru Outback Forums banner

2021 - 2040 of 2079 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
V4.5.592854 on ZTE Axon 7, no changes in settings
Mine must have auto updated. Because I didn't update AA but I have version v4.5.592854 on my S7 edge.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Map Updater has me back up & running. I'm downloading Rel_A1.19.17.20 NAFTA USA Canada and Mexico_1021_6891_9309 right now. So hopefully that is the latest update for my 2018 Outback Touring.
I just left the dealership, as I wanted to take care of the head unit issues before my 2018 Outback Touring went outside the warranty period (33,700 miles)... They updated my software to Rel_A1.19.12.20 which they said was the latest; Navi database version USA CND Mex_966_5933_7334. So, it seems that you have updates to my updates... 😐

·
Registered
572 Posts
I just left the dealership, as I wanted to take care of the head unit issues before my 2018 Outback Touring went outside the warranty period (33,700 miles)... They updated my software to Rel_A1.19.12.20 which they said was the latest; Navi database version USA CND Mex_966_5933_7334. So, it seems that you have updates to my updates... 😐
I guess so. I haven't been able to use map updater due to the open recalls. So I just gave it a go yesterday after getting the recalls fixed and that's the version map updater says is the latest greatest. I used to check it every few months just to see what's new. So I guess I'll start doing that again. Anyway it's installed and working OK.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Test drove an new '18 Limited w/ Eyesight & Nav a couple of times. On at least 2 occasions on different drives, the head unit completely froze up. No response to soft or hard buttons or dials. Turned the car off and on again, but it was still frozen. Turned the car off and left it for a while, and all was OK again.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?:frown2:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Map Updater has me back up & running. I'm downloading Rel_A1.19.17.20 NAFTA USA Canada and Mexico_1021_6891_9309 right now. So hopefully that is the latest update for my 2018 Outback Touring.
What is involved in downloading the update yourself and applying it? How long does it take to download and apply it?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I downloaded the maps for AU, I went through the Subaru download site, once the file downloaded, I ran the install file and this made the actual installer on the flash drive (around 3GB in total for the AU maps).
Once done - about 15 minutes downloading the file and getting the installer onto the USB, I plugged it into the car's USB port in the dash hidey hole and it took 8 or 9 minutes from start to finish.. 8 packages in all were installed.
I ran the engine for the install but not sure if it was necessary - just erring on the side of caution. All seems OK with the nav / map stuff.

·
Registered
572 Posts
What is involved in downloading the update yourself and applying it? How long does it take to download and apply it?
You get the map downloader program for your PC and run it. All you need to supply is a USB stick (32Gb). Run the program and register an account and fill in your VIN#. Then go to the updates tab and see what goodies await you. Plug in your USB stick and press install on USB drive. Select your USB drive and Wait for your USB drive to be created. Thenget in the car, start it up and plug the USB drive into the USB slots in the center flip lid cubby. Follow the on screen prompts and wait till it's done. Then you'll be up to date. Easy Peasy
It looks like this. It will take approximately 20 minutes for each operation to complete.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
You get the map downloader program for your PC and run it. All you need to supply is a USB stick (32Gb). Run the program and register an account and fill in your VIN#. Then go to the updates tab and see what goodies await you. Plug in your USB stick and press install on USB drive. Select your USB drive and Wait for your USB drive to be created. Thenget in the car, start it up and plug the USB drive into the USB slots in the center flip lid cubby. Follow the on screen prompts and wait till it's done. Then you'll be up to date. Easy Peasy
yep - so go here to get the software ... https://subaru-maps.com/

·
Registered
130 Posts
You get the map downloader program for your PC and run it. All you need to supply is a USB stick (32Gb). Run the program and register an account and fill in your VIN#. Then go to the updates tab and see what goodies await you. Plug in your USB stick and press install on USB drive. Select your USB drive and Wait for your USB drive to be created. Thenget in the car, start it up and plug the USB drive into the USB slots in the center flip lid cubby. Follow the on screen prompts and wait till it's done. Then you'll be up to date. Easy Peasy View attachment 469607 It looks like this. It will take approximately 20 minutes for each operation to complete.
Thanks. I don't have the maps, was wondering if you can do it the same way for just the head unit.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Thanks. I don't have the maps, was wondering if you can do it the same way for just the head unit.
What car do you own? Go here to get the maps. Create an account with Subaru if you have to and enter your car's VIN#. Otherwise I'm not understanding what you need and can't help you. ://subaru-maps.com/#/auth/sign-in

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
The TSB seems to indicate there are 3 different types of updates when the service department does them... not sure if the Subaru maps downloaded is a universal update, or just the one marked “high” (8” with navigation).... I suspect it’s only the one for navigation.... if it’s not the right update (assuming it even lets you download based on your VIN) you get an authentication error when trying to perform the update.... and have to get a service center, who has access to the correct version, to do it for you if that’s the case.

See attached TSB for details.

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
The TSB seems to indicate there are 3 different types of updates when the service department does them... not sure if the Subaru maps downloaded is a universal update, or just the one marked “high” (8” with navigation).... I suspect it’s only the one for navigation.... if it’s not the right update (assuming it even lets you download based on your VIN) you get an authentication error when trying to perform the update.... and have to get a service center to do it for you if that’s the case.

View attachment 469760

See attached TSB for details.
Ah ok, that is what I was talking about, just updating the head unit itself to 1.19 and never mind the maps. Looks like only the dealer can do that part.

Thanks

·
Registered
199 Posts
Ah ok, that is what I was talking about, just updating the head unit itself to 1.19 and never mind the maps. Looks like only the dealer can do that part.

Thanks
That file you download from the link mentioned above gets you HU firmware plus most up-to-date maps. It's all in one. Once you start the update process in your car by plugging in the usb drive, figure on about 1/2 hour. It'll seem like it's hung up on step 8 I believe, but just walk away and come back later on.

·
Registered
130 Posts
That file you download from the link mentioned above gets you HU firmware plus most up-to-date maps. It's all in one. Once you start the update process in your car by plugging in the usb drive, figure on about 1/2 hour. It'll seem like it's hung up on step 8 I believe, but just walk away and come back later on.
Thanks. I was under the impression that the maps and HU firmware were separate.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Thanks. I was under the impression that the maps and HU firmware were separate.
I have a 2019 Crosstrek Limited and I updated its firmware today. There is an option in the HU menus to update individual state maps. Don't think I've seen that before in my 2018 Outback Touring.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Test drove an new '18 Limited w/ Eyesight & Nav a couple of times. On at least 2 occasions on different drives, the head unit completely froze up. No response to soft or hard buttons or dials. Turned the car off and on again, but it was still frozen. Turned the car off and left it for a while, and all was OK again.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?:frown2:
Do yourself a favor and yank HU, go after market input like Pioneer. I gutted my HU, amps and speakers.

HU is Fujitsu not Harmon Kardon. Speakers? Low end that Subaru says “hers make us these speakers for this price point”. Amp is a joke and under passenger seat. Sub? Yanked it also put in 8” Pioneer .

All that to say sound 300% better vs OEM junk. My car is a 2015 to be clear.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Do yourself a favor and yank HU, go after market input like Pioneer. I gutted my HU, amps and speakers.

HU is Fujitsu not Harmon Kardon. Speakers? Low end that Subaru says “hers make us these speakers for this price point”. Amp is a joke and under passenger seat. Sub? Yanked it also put in 8” Pioneer .

All that to say sound 300% better vs OEM junk. My car is a 2015 to be clear.
What??? Did you start a thread about installing your own aftermarket head unit? If not, please do and post a link to the thread here. That is an unusual mod that deserves its own thread.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
2021 - 2040 of 2079 Posts
About this Discussion
2.1K Replies
498 Participants
hack14u
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing