Subaru Outback Forums banner

2041 - 2060 of 2079 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
What??? Did you start a thread about installing your own aftermarket head unit? If not, please do and post a link to the thread here. That is an unusual mod that deserves its own thread.
See below thread and since that thread I have added JBL 6 x 9 soundstage / component speakers to front doors and 6.5” JBL to rear doors. Recommend dynamax doors and foam to cover the speakers. Why? Really forces the sound clarity.

Hope it helps ya...

·
Registered
2,026 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Searching “head unit replace” gives me 196 results. You are correct: that search function is not for me, at least not for the question I asked above.
Oh, I never said it was easy. I used different search terms. And then used different ones yet another time. Took a few tries to get a good list. Replace might bring up repairs or other terms within a repair thread (they had to replace my bezel, or whatever). I think I tried that on one go round.

I also remembered reading buffaloe's post when it was new (in case the 2019 unit starts annoying me enough to replace it).

This is not as specific a thread, but has lots of information. I omitted it on the last post, but has some other information in it. https://www.subaruoutback.org/threads/aftermarket-headunits-are-finally-incoming.365561/

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm so annoyed by the constant issues I have with this head unit. Makes me REALLY question ever leasing another Subaru in the future. I have had nothing but trouble since I got the car a little over a year ago. Within 3 months I had the head unit replaced. The new one is "arguably" better but still sketchy as heck.

Here are the problems I still encounter REGULARLY:

1) Randomly all of my FM presets will simply disappear (happens every couple of months). The Sirius stations stay intact.

2) My phonebook will disappear randomly and I will have to delete my phone profile out of the head unit and add it back to get it working again.

3) Android Auto crashes all the time. WHEN it works - it is great except 8 out of 10 times it just stops working. It just crashes/disconnects without warning. Super fun while I'm trying to use it for navigation.

This is garbage. Clearly I'm not the only one with issues but more importantly, are there owners out there that DON'T have problems? I have a 2018 Outback 2.5i Limited.

Help!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Kalphoto, the TSB for the latest update seems to address all of the issues you’ve listed. Have you updated your HU yet?

Mine has the issue of switching to Radio at engine on or off. I am afraid of updating the HU to solve this issue only to have any other issues pop up. Can anyone report on the July update and tell us if it solves the issue of switching to Radio every time the engine is turned on or off?

Thanks!

I'm so annoyed by the constant issues I have with this head unit. Makes me REALLY question ever leasing another Subaru in the future. I have had nothing but trouble since I got the car a little over a year ago. Within 3 months I had the head unit replaced. The new one is "arguably" better but still sketchy as heck.

1) Randomly all of my FM presets will simply disappear (happens every couple of months). The Sirius stations stay intact.

2) My phonebook will disappear randomly and I will have to delete my phone profile out of the head unit and add it back to get it working again.

3) Android Auto crashes all the time. WHEN it works - it is great except 8 out of 10 times it just stops working. It just crashes/disconnects without warning. Super fun while I'm trying to use it for navigation.

This is garbage. Clearly I'm not the only one with issues but more importantly, are there owners out there that DON'T have problems? I have a 2018 Outback 2.5i Limited.

Help!

·
Registered
36 Posts

Help!
o/
I use iOS CarPlay, and I have encountered some connection issues that were fixed by doing a reset of the head unit (long press on power button), but not many. I have, somehow, managed to duck nearly all the horrible problems I've seen listed here. As of the last update, both iOS and the HK HU, I haven't (knock on wood) had any issues at all. I saw this thread and thought I'd poke my head in real quick, but really I'm looking around for how to access the dealer and/or service menu (looks like hold down Home touch button and press tuner 2 or 5 times? haven't gotten it to work though).

·
Registered
47 Posts
2018 Head Unit Lawsuit Settlement

Welp looks all the folks that have had issues with their head units will get some sort of compensation.
I don't care for compensation... I want it to work right. This thing is a total piece of ****. Subaru really screwed the pooch on this one. I doubt I'll buy another one after this debacle. Good riddance.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
I don't care for compensation... I want it to work right. This thing is a total piece of ****. Subaru really screwed the pooch on this one. I doubt I'll buy another one after this debacle. Good riddance.
Understandable, but do comprehensive research on whatever you might buy. Some other brands have similar issues. Please report back here on what you consider to be a good alternative.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Might take a dive into buying a leftover 2019 3.6R ... is this headunit issue still a thing for 2019 MY?
Looking at this thread it seems it's mostly 2018's ...

Any feedback is appreciated!

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2019 3.6R, <4,000 miles, is having issues with the map function. I live in northern Alabama and when we put in an address for Nashville, 1.5 hours north, the GPS stops at 33% and says something to the effect that attempt was unsuccessful. I downloaded the new map update, a painful exercise. Based on comments from the forum, I am terrified to install the update. I’ll install the update later this month when I get back from vacation.
Bill

·
Registered
923 Posts
Might take a dive into buying a leftover 2019 3.6R ... is this headunit issue still a thing for 2019 MY?
Looking at this thread it seems it's mostly 2018's ...

Any feedback is appreciated!
FWIW: I find the HU in our 2.5i '19 OB LTD (8" without NAV) to work reasonably well, without these freeze, or station reset issues. I have not encountered anything that required a hard reset of the unit.

I have an Android phone running OS8.0 (i.e. the predecessor to Pie). I find for the most part that AA works very well with the head unit. Music, navigation (via Waze or Google Maps), phone and texting (SMS and WhatsApp) all integrated to be quite outstanding. I have no USB connection problems, and I am using a magnetic USB cable that I purchased from Amazon which allows me to avoid putting physical cycles (insert/remove) on the power port of the phone when at home, or in the car.

Android Auto makes the 8" head unit extremely functional. I'm able to listen to TuneIn or Pandora (haven't tried Spotify) and find the audio quality of streamed music superior to SXM or FM. I use Pulsar+ as a music app to listen to content that my wife ripped from CD and I've placed on my phone.

My wife and I have been using Google MAPS for years. There was no value in the NAV option for us.

Your 3.6 may not even include the 8" display w/ or wo/NAV. It may only be the 6.5" system (are any made like that?) but even that appears to support Android Auto and Apple CarPlay.

If you like the vehicle and you can get it for a good price (a few months ago we got a heavy discount and financed a bit of the vehicle with 0% APR) then I think it represents a great value. I really like the car, although from some of my posts, people may wonder if that is true. In summary I have not found our HU to be problematic in the 2019...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Th
FWIW: I find the HU in our 2.5i '19 OB LTD (8" without NAV) to work reasonably well, without these freeze, or station reset issues. I have not encountered anything that required a hard reset of the unit.

I have an Android phone running OS8.0 (i.e. the predecessor to Pie). I find for the most part that AA works very well with the head unit. Music, navigation (via Waze or Google Maps), phone and texting (SMS and WhatsApp) all integrated to be quite outstanding. I have no USB connection problems, and I am using a magnetic USB cable that I purchased from Amazon which allows me to avoid putting physical cycles (insert/remove) on the power port of the phone when at home, or in the car.

Android Auto makes the 8" head unit extremely functional. I'm able to listen to TuneIn or Pandora (haven't tried Spotify) and find the audio quality of streamed music superior to SXM or FM. I use Pulsar+ as a music app to listen to content that my wife ripped from CD and I've placed on my phone.

My wife and I have been using Google MAPS for years. There was no value in the NAV option for us.

Your 3.6 may not even include the 8" display w/ or wo/NAV. It may only be the 6.5" system (are any made like that?) but even that appears to support Android Auto and Apple CarPlay.

If you like the vehicle and you can get it for a good price (a few months ago we got a heavy discount and financed a bit of the vehicle with 0% APR) then I think it represents a great value. I really like the car, although from some of my posts, people may wonder if that is true. In summary I have not found our HU to be problematic in the 2019...
Thank you very much for the thorough feedback. Yes having navigation is not a must for us either but all 3.6R's left over have that package included.. Still debating if I am going to go for it. Been getting about $5k off MSRP at local dealers but I am shooting for about $7-8K (some people have been getting that around the US ... about 20-22% off ~ $39K msrp) ... 3.6R's have never been big sellers to begin with so I am going to hold off and see.

·
Registered
182 Posts
There is no excitement in this award which will amount to coverage of legal fees and fattening of attorneys. All that will be provided to individuals is peanuts. What I care about is continued bug fixes to stabilize the platform so I can enjoy it for the next 5+ years and eventually replace it with another Subaru. It doesn't have to be awesome it just needs to function reliably.

·
Registered
194 Posts
There is no excitement in this award which will amount to coverage of legal fees and fattening of attorneys. All that will be provided to individuals is peanuts. What I care about is continued bug fixes to stabilize the platform so I can enjoy it for the next 5+ years and eventually replace it with another Subaru. It doesn't have to be awesome it just needs to function reliably.
agreed. took it in again today with a laundry list of times it bugged out (reset while driving, music playing after answering a phone call, etc) and voila! another software update was available which "is going to fix all the issues." if it would jsut update when on wifi and not only at the dealer that would solve a lot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
o/
I use iOS CarPlay, and I have encountered some connection issues that were fixed by doing a reset of the head unit (long press on power button), but not many. I have, somehow, managed to duck nearly all the horrible problems I've seen listed here. As of the last update, both iOS and the HK HU, I haven't (knock on wood) had any issues at all. I saw this thread and thought I'd poke my head in real quick, but really I'm looking around for how to access the dealer and/or service menu (looks like hold down Home touch button and press tuner 2 or 5 times? haven't gotten it to work though).
Same CarPlay problem here that requires a reset of the head unit, although I just had it happen to me again yesterday. What software version do you have? I had it updated in May, but maybe there's been an update that I wasn't aware of.

2041 - 2060 of 2079 Posts
About this Discussion
2.1K Replies
498 Participants
hack14u
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing