Subaru Outback Forums banner

2081 - 2100 of 2146 Posts

·
Registered
2018 OB Limited 3.6R
185 Posts
agreed. took it in again today with a laundry list of times it bugged out (reset while driving, music playing after answering a phone call, etc) and voila! another software update was available which "is going to fix all the issues." if it would jsut update when on wifi and not only at the dealer that would solve a lot.
I updated to the 06/17/2019 release (Rel_A1.19.17.20) and that seemed to have resolved my problem with the microphone no longer working after connecting up my iPhone. Besides happening randomly I could repeatedly recreate the issue if I connected the phone too soon after boot or putting the vehicle into reverse too soon after connecting the phone.

On this new release placed the car in park and the radio shut off. It looked like it was working and I could adjust the volume knob and see the meter on the screen. Source button didn't work nor did changing stations but the moment I hit the radio button it was working again.

These programmers are playing wack-a-mole and losing. As for the wifi updates I think there is a reason they aren't using it. Its just another feature that wouldn't work right.

·
Registered
19 2.5i OB LTD w/SSD Strt Twr Brc + OEM 19mm RSB
1,267 Posts
What the heck is going on? I went to that link the Subaru-maps, downloaded it, installed it, logged in, and when I went to put my VIN in, it says Provided Vin is invalid. I took a pic of it, re-entered it as on the dash, making sure it was perfect, and no go. 2018 2.5. What could be the problem? Do I have a ghost car? I have the unit labeled as MID in the pdf.
Do you have a head unit with NAV? The download site only serves up access when the VIN is for a vehicle that has the OE NAV feature. For others like myself, we have to take the vehicle to our dealer to have the changes made to the firmware.

·
Registered
2018 White Outback Touring 2.5i
601 Posts
The SOA rep just told me that they had just rolled out wi-fi updates for the 2018 Outbacks.
Has anyone seen that?
Map Downloader still has the same version update I installed already. So no not yet.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Crosstrek Limited w/ Eyesight, non-nav
5 Posts
Rel_A1.19.17.20 NAFTA - has a June release on it :🤷: I haven't had the problem since this update. Doesn't mean it won't happen, but it's a positive sign so far. So far iOS 13 CarPlay with Dashboard is pretty sweet, too.
I got that update. It apparently wasn't showing as available until a week or two ago for some models. Unfortunately I have run into the issue of carplay not starting and had to restart the entire head unit while driving again since the update :(

Agreed, Carplay on iOS 13 is SO much better than it used to be!

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback Premium
112 Posts
Do you have a head unit with NAV? The download site only serves up access when the VIN is for a vehicle that has the OE NAV feature. For others like myself, we have to take the vehicle to our dealer to have the changes made to the firmware.
I don't have a specific "button" for it, I have to launch the Starlink on my phone before I can use it. Does that mean all the data comes from my phone, and not the head unit? And I guess that's why I can't do the update?

·
Registered
6 Posts
According to this document, the USB media must be formatted NTFS. What is the filesystem format of your USB sticks?

You can also get this message if you are trying to put a 3.0Gen software update onto 3.1Gen hardware.
HTH
Finally getting around to this. Thanks for your reply.
I'm on a Mac and using Disk Utility you can format a flash drive in a Mac format or Windoze (DOS). I think I had it formatted for MS-DOS (FAT) when it didn't work. I switched the format to ExFAT and it worked fine.
From what I've seen FAT only works with files up to 4 GB and since the map update was larger than that it didn't work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Test drove an new '18 Limited w/ Eyesight & Nav a couple of times. On at least 2 occasions on different drives, the head unit completely froze up. No response to soft or hard buttons or dials. Turned the car off and on again, but it was still frozen. Turned the car off and left it for a while, and all was OK again.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?:frown2:
I have owned a 2019 Outback Touring for 2 months. From day one, the head unit has nothing but issues. It freezes all the time. One time it was critical as I could not use the handsfree phone. Could not make a call using the steering wheel controls. Could not change the radio station, etc. Everything just froze.

LOVE the car; hate the radio. Subaru should fix this. Brand new car. The unit has been replaced once. Can anyone really tell us why this happens???

·
Registered
19 2.5i OB LTD w/SSD Strt Twr Brc + OEM 19mm RSB
1,267 Posts
I have owned a 2019 Outback Touring for 2 months. From day one, the head unit has nothing but issues. It freezes all the time. One time it was critical as I could not use the handsfree phone. Could not make a call using the steering wheel controls. Could not change the radio station, etc. Everything just froze.

LOVE the car; hate the radio. Subaru should fix this. Brand new car. The unit has been replaced once. Can anyone really tell us why this happens???
I have a 2019 OB LTD HK head unit without NAV. I use AA and when the SXM period expires, I'll let it expire as the audio quality is very poor with that as a source.

I'm experiencing 3 issues with my Head Unit. The first is, on a number of occasions, the volume went to zero (this was on SXM) and I could not adjust it via the Volume control. No effect.

Yesterday, I had an incident where audio was only playing in the back, I think possibly just from the bass speaker in the cargo area.

These two could be amplifier related. Hard to say. Both problems have been "fixed" by performing a reset on the head unit.

Finally, this really surprises me, other manufacturers get this right, and even in the 2020 I believe this works, but not on my HU... We are supposed to be able to press briefly on the Voice button and have the verbal command acted upon by the head unit (for example, adjusting fan speed and temperature of the H+AC unit). A long-press should send the verbal command to Android Auto or Apple Car Play. I can't get that to work at all.

Yeah, I was surveyed by Subaru and indicated it was the Head Unit quality that detracted from an otherwise pretty darn good vehicle. I'm still expecting Subaru to get the programmers to fix this stuff.

I would expect the group responsible for the head-units is under a lot of pressure to make things right. It's really unfortunate that after the problems in the 2018 units, people are experiencing problems in the 2019 models.

·
Registered
2019 outback limited
24 Posts
I have a 2019 OB LTD HK head unit without NAV. I use AA and when the SXM period expires, I'll let it expire as the audio quality is very poor with that as a source.

I'm experiencing 3 issues with my Head Unit. The first is, on a number of occasions, the volume went to zero (this was on SXM) and I could not adjust it via the Volume control. No effect.

Yesterday, I had an incident where audio was only playing in the back, I think possibly just from the bass speaker in the cargo area.

These two could be amplifier related. Hard to say. Both problems have been "fixed" by performing a reset on the head unit.

Finally, this really surprises me, other manufacturers get this right, and even in the 2020 I believe this works, but not on my HU... We are supposed to be able to press briefly on the Voice button and have the verbal command acted upon by the head unit (for example, adjusting fan speed and temperature of the H+AC unit). A long-press should send the verbal command to Android Auto or Apple Car Play. I can't get that to work at all.

Yeah, I was surveyed by Subaru and indicated it was the Head Unit quality that detracted from an otherwise pretty darn good vehicle. I'm still expecting Subaru to get the programmers to fix this stuff.

I would expect the group responsible for the head-units is under a lot of pressure to make things right. It's really unfortunate that after the problems in the 2018 units, people are experiencing problems in the 2019 models.
same here
adjusting fan speed and temperature of the H+AC unit). A long-press should send the verbal command to Android Auto or Apple Car Play. I can't get that to work at all. Hope someone can help us out

·
Registered
2018 OB Limited 3.6R
185 Posts
Yes I have the head unit with NAV.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited, No Eyesight, No Navigation
2,393 Posts

I have read many posts like this. That is one reason I recently passed on trading in for a 2019 OB 3.6 Touring. I don’t have time to be dealing with headunit issues.

Subaru, get your sh*t together. There is no excuse for the rampant headunit issues. My actual dedicated computers require less attention.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
263 Posts
Has anyone gotten a new hardware head unit and had that solve their problems? Trying to figure out how hard to push the dealer and SOA to replace mine, but no point if, as I suspect, the hardware isn't the problem at all.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Crosstrek Limited w/ Eyesight, non-nav
5 Posts
The update was made accessible to non-nav head units a couple weeks ago. I was able to install on my 2018 crosstrek through the WIFI software update on the head unit.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited, No Eyesight, No Navigation
2,393 Posts
The update was made accessible to non-nav head units a couple weeks ago. I was able to install on my 2018 crosstrek through the WIFI software update on the head unit.
That is the first time I have heard of any update via Wifi. Is there anything unusual you did that we need to know? I wonder if a Wifi update will work for my 2018 Outback.

2081 - 2100 of 2146 Posts