Subaru Outback Forums banner

2121 - 2140 of 2177 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited, No Eyesight, No Navigation
2,766 Posts
I'm going in for my first replacement tomorrow - I've been told it is a refurb. Really wish it was at least a NEW unit.
Well, you bought your current malfunctioning head unit when it was brand new.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just returned from the dealer with my 2018 outback 3.6 r Limited.
I had been having problems with the microphone turning on when connected to Bluetooth phone. the phone would connected with dial and would answer commands but once the call was connected both parties could not hear each other.
After testing it with my phone and three other service technicians phones it still wouldn't connect.
All software is up-to-date and they decided to order me a new head unit.
This will be the third head unit in my 2018 outback in less than 24 months.
is anybody having problems with the replacement/ recalled newly-installed head units?

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6
5 Posts
I have had trouble with the replacement HU keeping the bluetooth connection while playing music. I dont use for calls very often.
I usually connect and re connect the phone.
It's random. Sometimes its fine.
The dealer tried to tell me it was because my phone runs bluetooth 4.2 and not 5. I doubt the HU is using 5 though.
The HU that died was able to keep the connection.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 2.5 w Eyesight
129 Posts
The refurb likely has had the circuit/hardware problems fixed. You're better off with the refurb at this point.
Agreed. Early on, I would have said no (mine was replaced in Feb 2019) but now I would imagine the company refurbing them has figured it out and is probably pumping out better units than HK/Samsung out of the factory.

·
Premium Member
2010 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i w/AWP 6MT
414 Posts
Agreed. Early on, I would have said no (mine was replaced in Feb 2019) but now I would imagine the company refurbing them has figured it out and is probably pumping out better units than HK/Samsung out of the factory.
Pretty sure that company is HK.

·
Registered
19 2.5i OB LTD w/SSD Strt Twr Brc + OEM 19mm RSB
1,350 Posts
Wasn't the original units from Harman, and the reconditioned units from Fujitsu Ten?

·
Registered
2017 subaru outback, 2.5 engine
2 Posts
I took delivery of a 2018 Touring Thursday that has that HU.

I've not seen that happen yet.

What I do see regularly is a modal dialog box saying "Signal not found" (I forget the exact wording) and I think that refers to the Sirius satellite radio. It goes away after a few seconds, generally, but it DEMANDS your attention and gets in your way, for something that's pretty much never vital for your current purpose.

I griped at the dealership about that yesterday, told them the people that chose to do that should be shot. Seriously, for a car that's otherwise bending over backwards for safety equipment and trying to not have a distracted driver, how could THAT get past their thinking? I guess they were testing where they always had solid signal quality. Sirius seems to be fragile to a lot of things, including trees, when it comes to signal reliability. What makes me mad about it is it pops up, even when I'm not even trying to use Sirius. At least, I think it's Sirius it's reporting: it doesn't identify which signal!

I wonder if that part of the HU code is open source, and if I can get things built and installed after modifying it according to a sane way of doing things... my fear is the system may require it be cryptographically-signed by Subaru or whomever makes the HU, and won't be possible to modify what's there, short of getting their private key (that'd be a real problem for them were that to happen!).

·
Registered
19 2.5i OB LTD w/SSD Strt Twr Brc + OEM 19mm RSB
1,350 Posts
I don't think we will ever see a head unit from an automaker that allows development by the public, because there may be interfaces to the system bus (ex. CANBUS) of the vehicle and therefore may represent risk.

What would be great is if Subaru and other makers would offer a software layer that allowed third party audio/multi-media car systems like Sony, JVC, Kenwood (same as JVC), Alpine, Pioneer perform common functions (things above and beyond steering wheel controls), so replacement of the OE head unit were easier.

As Subaru integrates more and more sub-systems, the problem becomes more complicated.

There are sites out there related to reverse engineering if that is your passion. You could look for CANBUS sniffer as a start.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I don't think we will ever see a head unit from an automaker that allows development by the public, because there may be interfaces to the system bus (ex. CANBUS) of the vehicle and therefore may represent risk.

What would be great is if Subaru and other makers would offer a software layer that allowed third party audio/multi-media car systems like Sony, JVC, Kenwood (same as JVC), Alpine, Pioneer perform common functions (things above and beyond steering wheel controls), so replacement of the OE head unit were easier.

As Subaru integrates more and more sub-systems, the problem becomes more complicated.

There are sites out there related to reverse engineering if that is your passion. You could look for CANBUS sniffer as a start.
so im looking at a hybrid awd vehicles and just assumed that the outgoing highlanders were a no-go becuase of no carplay. however, the head unit only controls the stereo- no hvac, no vehicle settings menus, nothing but stereo. and it appears to be easily upgraded...bravo toyota!

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 3.6
13 Posts
I just returned from the dealer with my 2018 outback 3.6 r Limited.
I had been having problems with the microphone turning on when connected to Bluetooth phone. the phone would connected with dial and would answer commands but once the call was connected both parties could not hear each other.
After testing it with my phone and three other service technicians phones it still wouldn't connect.
All software is up-to-date and they decided to order me a new head unit.
This will be the third head unit in my 2018 outback in less than 24 months.
is anybody having problems with the replacement/ recalled newly-installed head units?
If this problem is wiith an IPhone, it may be due to an update to IOS 13 that you may have done. App by App you are asked to give authorization to access Bluetooth, and perhaps your authorizations are not set up correctly.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 2.5i
328 Posts
Just had audio go out twice on my commute in this morning. First time a reboot plus shut off car/open door/restart fixed it. The second time no such luck, and several reboots and restarts didn't fix it. We'll see if sitting in the parking lot all day fixes it.

Android auto/Waze was running both times; I'm up to date on software patches/recalls. Interesting it does beep when I select different options on the screen, just no media/radio output.

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight, "Wilderness Green Metallic"
584 Posts
I notice two things -- Android Auto is iffy, and can cause all kinds of weird effects. I think my cord is going bad.

If I dont use Android Auto everything else works fine.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I notice two things -- Android Auto is iffy, and can cause all kinds of weird effects. I think my cord is going bad.

If I dont use Android Auto everything else works fine.
I think (not really sure, though) that all of the times I've lost audio AA was running. I'm also running the prior version (4.6.593333-release) because the October 4 version has issues with losing gps position when running Waze (but not Maps).

·
Registered
584 Posts
I think (not really sure, though) that all of the times I've lost audio AA was running. I'm also running the prior version (4.6.593333-release) because the October 4 version has issues with losing gps position when running Waze (but not Maps).
My Waze is hosed, it hasn't worked right for about two weeks. Map doesn't move, then moves across town to catch up and doesn't move again for a while. Claims it doesn't have an internet connection most of the time. Google maps works fine.

·
Registered
328 Posts
My Waze is hosed, it hasn't worked right for about two weeks. Map doesn't move, then moves across town to catch up and doesn't move again for a while. Claims it doesn't have an internet connection most of the time. Google maps works fine.
It's an incompatibility between the current versions of AA and Waze. Roll back AA (see: https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=233407&start=500) and exempt it from auto updating until some one figures out what the problem is. That happened to me last week, just before a trip. running AA 4.6.xxx seems to fix the sync issue.

·
Registered
584 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
OK -- but I don't know how to do either of these things. Some help, please?
  1. Google for more details and info about security, eg: https://www.wikihow.tech/Install-APK-Files-on-Android, just so you feel comfortable installing apps not from google play
  2. uninstall android auto from your phone
  3. on your phone, browse (e.g., chrome) to a quality/safe/well-regarded apk site, eg apkpure.com
  4. search for android auto. This will get you to: https://apkpure.com/android-auto-google-maps-media-messaging/com.google.android.projection.gearhead
  5. (other apk sites will be similar).
  6. click Versions
  7. Pick a V4.6.59333x version (I'm using V4.6.593333-release) and download that to your phone. I think you'll get an option to open the file (you may have set permissions ahead of time, see (1))
  8. (this is a fairly phone/architecture-generic version (32-bit ARM - armeabi-v7a (if you care)); you can pick a more optimized version for your specific phone, especially if it is newer, but this version should work (eg, apkmirror offers ARM, ARM64, and x86). It's a stopgap until Google gets it's act together)
  9. That should about do it. There may be a few more warnings/prompts, but if all you do is reinstall an older AA from a trustworthy site, you won't break your phone. The link (1) also describes a few other approaches.
V4.7.59xxx is definitely bad. V4.8 is supposedly out but doesn't fix the problem according to the forum I listed above.

Apparently if you run pokemon go at the same time, waze works. I haven't tried that.

To prevent it from updating (if you have auto update apps set), in the play store, select AA (don't click update; so for me it's click on the left side), click the 3 dots (top right) and unselect enable auto update. It's android, so some things may be different on your phone than on mine (Verizon/S9), but that's the basic idea. Alternatively turn off auto update until Waze or AA pushes a fixed version.

·
Registered
584 Posts
  1. Google for more details and info about security, eg: https://www.wikihow.tech/Install-APK-Files-on-Android, just so you feel comfortable installing apps not from google play
  2. uninstall android auto from your phone
  3. on your phone, browse (e.g., chrome) to a quality/safe/well-regarded apk site, eg apkpure.com
Got it, and it's done, except for auto-update. I don't think I have that turned on, as I couldn't find an exclusion setting in AA

·
Registered
584 Posts
2121 - 2140 of 2177 Posts