Subaru Outback Forums banner
2201 - 2220 of 2248 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited with Eyesight
194 Posts
I must be behind the curve a bit.

DON'T DO THE SYSTEM UPDATE IT WILL BRICK YOUR HEADUNIT!
Stopped the dealer a few weeks ago and he did the system software update to rel_ A2.20.07.20
the web site said A2.20.18.20 ...the manger said the one he did was later that on the web site
seem to be ok.

·
Premium Member
2018 Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R Crystal White Pearl/black interior
502 Posts
The map component in the update recently discussed here, A2.20.18.20, (I believe the one that failed to update for you), does NOT contain any new maps. See several posts above for a nice list of what WAS updated.
Yes, the map update (downloaded to USB) was totally separate from the software update (downloaded via Wifi). I have an appointment with the dealer on Wednesday. I will let you know what they say. It is definitely totally dark.

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
Sparkland, you can’t download the latest update to your USB key again and plug that into your head unit to try the update again?
I could try to update the software via USB, but the head unit is completely dark or dead. Absolutely, no response from the head unit, but thank you for the suggestion.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback Limited
57 Posts
First did an update over the air - the system prompted me to do so. Then downloaded update on USB and installed on vehicle. All recalls and campaigns were done at the dealership. Week after the update, started losing my FM presets and text messages are not transmitted thru the unit. Phone book needs to be uploaded every time I start the car and no guarantee I won't lose the contacts again mid trip. I never had issues with my head unit until after the latest update. Any advice?

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
Took my car to the dealership today. They pulled the same thing they did last time I took it in for service. I made the appointment for today and when I got there they said the vehicle would not be looked at until tomorrow. I am thinking, then why did I take it in today. What is wrong with Subaru. My Honda and Toyota's get worked on, the same day of the appointment.

The service writer seems to think three separate updates will fix the issues with the head unit which in turn caused the battery to discharge (needed a jump start) for three days in a row. They said each software update would take around 1 hour 30 minutes. Do they still use dial-up internet at Subaru? Got the updates today and hopefully this will solve out battery drain issue.

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
The map component in the update recently discussed here, A2.20.18.20, (I believe the one that failed to update for you), does NOT contain any new maps. See several posts above for a nice list of what WAS updated.
I never got as far as updating the maps - I could not update the head unit software. My dealer finally did the most recent software update.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6
10 Posts
Tried wifi system update of A2.20.18.20 today. Screen is frozen now, its blank but powered on. I turned off engine and locked car but the screen is still powered on but blank. I have appointment at dealership on Saturday. Is there anything I could try in the meantime ? Is there any way to 'reset' the screen ?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Tried wifi system update of A2.20.18.20 today. Screen is frozen now, its blank but powered on. I turned off engine and locked car but the screen is still powered on but blank. I have appointment at dealership on Saturday. Is there anything I could try in the meantime ? Is there any way to 'reset' the screen ?
Hold down the power button until you see starlink logo.

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
If holding down the power button does not work, then you need to remove the negative battery cable or your battery will be discharged by the morning. That is what happened to us. The techs told us that our problem was because we skipped several (two) updates before we attempted to perform the update you referenced in your post. One of the previous ones dealt with battery drain.

·
Registered
2018 Limited 2.5 No eyesight package/no navi
178 Posts
I did the update a few weeks ago over my home wifi. I should have checked my apps when I did this, but I didn't think to do so. Those have completely disappeared from my head unit screen (I use Android Auto).

I factory ordered my 2018 limited without eyesight because I felt that the load on the computer system from eyesight was partially to blame for the notorious head unit issues. My head unit worked fine until last year when I allowed Subaru to update my software and do recall work.

Anyone have any tips on how to get my apps back on my head unit?

Thanks.

2201 - 2220 of 2248 Posts