Subaru Outback Forums banner
2221 - 2240 of 2248 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Test drove an new '18 Limited w/ Eyesight & Nav a couple of times. On at least 2 occasions on different drives, the head unit completely froze up. No response to soft or hard buttons or dials. Turned the car off and on again, but it was still frozen. Turned the car off and left it for a while, and all was OK again.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?:frown2:
Sorry, but not really related to this thread but couldn't find more relevant. Just joined the forum from Oz. No comments re. the politics over there!!!!
Had my Gen 5 Premium Outback a few months. Great so far. But confused about the headlights. Look like standard halogen with LED daytime running lights BUT they act just like Matrix lights. Yes, they turn corners but also only dip in the immediate area behind the car in front and keep full bean down either side until an oncoming car is acquired and then will also dip only on that side ( in my case to the right ). As soon as the car passes they go back up. Similarly, if you come to a corner and there are cars in front of the one in front of me, it sees their rear lights and will dip either left or right so as not to blind them, depending the corner. It is like watching a light show. It's good though - very responsive. Just can't work out how they work as the lens is just like a standard halogen round lens. Cant find anything on line at all, even the Subie website, to confirm their existence. Nothing in the books and my local dealer had no idea what I was talking about. So, is everyones' like this?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I bought a set of two thumb drives that have 125 classic audio books on each. MP3 format. They light up when installed, flicker as data is read but the USB in my 2015 Limited won't read them. In fact the USB option won't even highlight on the source screen. I've not tried any other USB content. Anyone have any tricks, tips, advice?

·
Registered
2018 OB 2.5 Ltd eyesight
209 Posts
I bought a set of two thumb drives that have 125 classic audio books on each. MP3 format. They light up when installed, flicker as data is read but the USB in my 2015 Limited won't read them. In fact the USB option won't even highlight on the source screen. I've not tried any other USB content. Anyone have any tricks, tips, advice?
Make sure that the filesystem on the thumb drives is what the car will recognize. By default, flash drives use either FAT32 or ExFAT on Windows, but on Apple it might be something else. You'll need to plug the drives into a computer to check that. According to this guy, the audio system wants only FAT32, but Windows usually likes ExFAT. USB Thumb Drive (Stick) Formatting
I personally have no experience with this, but I hope this is helpful.

·
Premium Member
Former 2010 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i 6MT, Sometimes 22 OBW, 2019 Ascent Touring, var. OB loaners
744 Posts
Make sure that the filesystem on the thumb drives is what the car will recognize. By default, flash drives use either FAT32 or ExFAT on Windows, but on Apple it might be something else. You'll need to plug the drives into a computer to check that. According to this guy, the audio system wants only FAT32, but Windows usually likes ExFAT. USB Thumb Drive (Stick) Formatting
I personally have no experience with this, but I hope this is helpful.
Subaru Outback and Legacy head units that look like this image are Subaru's Gen 3.x head units made by Harman Kardon. They work best with NTFS.

Previous generation v.2x head units made by Denso or Clarion, that look like one of these, prefer FAT32.

Note the differences in the interfaces.

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
2018 OB 2.5 Ltd eyesight
209 Posts
Subaru Outback and Legacy head units that look like this image are Subaru's Gen 3.x head units made by Harman Kardon. They work best with NTFS.

Previous generation v.2x head units made by Denso or Clarion, that look like one of these, prefer FAT32.

Note the differences in the interfaces.
Thanks. Very useful information. I reformat all my thumb drives to NTFS, so that saves me effort if I ever want to use one on my HK head unit.

·
Premium Member
Former 2010 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i 6MT, Sometimes 22 OBW, 2019 Ascent Touring, var. OB loaners
744 Posts
I think mine is the middle picture. I do think the drives are FAT32, though. I'll look into the NTFS. Thanks
That's likely FAT32, but, I would be curious to hear if it worked with NTFS.

·
Registered
2 Posts
That's likely FAT32, but, I would be curious to hear if it worked with NTFS.
The problem updating is following the bad directions for a too complex process. My Mac and a large enough USB drive works every time. You download the installer, install the installer to your hard Drive, then install the installer and files on the USB drive if I remember it correctly. Locate the pictorial directions from Subaru. Read them carefully. I keep them handy each time. The USB gets erased when you install the files.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Touring
5 Posts
Hello All,
I recently purchased a used 18 OB 3.6R T. I am now having BT connection issues. When the vehicle is running BT does not work (even though it says connected). When the car is in just the ACC on (engine off) it will connect and work. Also, the HU volume does not work in backup.
This seems to be an ongoing issue with the OB 3.6 T. Has this been resolved?

Any words of advice, please let me know. My original warranty is just about up and I am considering purchasing the extended warranty.

·
Registered
2018 3.6r Touring, Black, modifications: 255-55-zr18 Continental DWS06
712 Posts
Hello All,
I recently purchased a used 18 OB 3.6R T. I am now having BT connection issues. When the vehicle is running BT does not work (even though it says connected). When the car is in just the ACC on (engine off) it will connect and work. Also, the HU volume does not work in backup.
This seems to be an ongoing issue with the OB 3.6 T. Has this been resolved?

Any words of advice, please let me know. My original warranty is just about up and I am considering purchasing the extended warranty.
I have an 18 3.6r and do not have those issues. I was in the late first wave of replacement HU under recall. Only one replacement unit and minimal issues since. Occasional issue when using USB android auto with waze and the guidance takes over audio to one speaker and doesn't release. I have to select another audio source like radio then back to phone. That is likely an android issue and not a HU issue.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 3.6r Touring, Black, modifications: 255-55-zr18 Continental DWS06
712 Posts
For what it's worth, my Google Pixel 2 was having issues and receiving all Beta Google updates. It was having quirky issues via BT to include random connectivity drops. My wife's phone, same model but not in the beta program, was more stable. Also dropping to my ear pieces.

Fast forward, starting using a Google Pixel 4 early December and very few issues since that change.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Seems Subaru is having an issue with their multi media head units and more. I bought a brand new 2017 Outback in February of 2017. When the car hit 12,000 miles my battery died for no apparent reason, my dealer replaced it no charge but then my passenger window won't shut and now I have to do resets which are a pain in the butt.
Now yesterday my head unit came on when I started the car, then the star link screen blinked, and now just a picture of a head unit pops up with a bar that looks like it's loading, but it doesn't, and it just keeps doing it!
I've emailed Subaru ..... No response yet
I've called my dealership, left a message with the service center voicemail today at noon, by 8pm ...... No response
There are hundreds of issues with windshields cracking for no apparent reason too!

Subaru promotes their "Share the Love" event ...... Well how about sharing some love and fixing all these defects in their products for the customers who buying them?

I have 20,000 miles on a car that just turned 4 years old and shouldn't be having issues like this. I like this car but starting to regret buying it.

Will be going to the dealership to see what line of BS their going to give me about the head unit, good thing I got the gold plus 6 year/80,000 mile warranty. Will be back to update.

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight, "Wilderness Green Metallic"
668 Posts
Seems Subaru is having an issue with their multi media head units and more. I bought a brand new 2017 Outback in February of 2017. When the car hit 12,000 miles my battery died for no apparent reason, my dealer replaced it no charge but then my passenger window won't shut and now I have to do resets which are a pain in the butt.
Now yesterday my head unit came on when I started the car, then the star link screen blinked, and now just a picture of a head unit pops up with a bar that looks like it's loading, but it doesn't, and it just keeps doing it!
I've emailed Subaru ..... No response yet
I've called my dealership, left a message with the service center voicemail today at noon, by 8pm ...... No response
There are hundreds of issues with windshields cracking for no apparent reason too!

Subaru promotes their "Share the Love" event ...... Well how about sharing some love and fixing all these defects in their products for the customers who buying them?

I have 20,000 miles on a car that just turned 4 years old and shouldn't be having issues like this. I like this car but starting to regret buying it.

Will be going to the dealership to see what line of BS their going to give me about the head unit, good thing I got the gold plus 6 year/80,000 mile warranty. Will be back to update.
Did you try to reset the head unit? This late on a Saturday night it's worth a try.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well dangit, I knew I shoulda come here before buying. Just picked up a 2018 3.6R Limited with 19k miles. Should I be worried about this? Anything I can check to see if my car will be affected? How much are people finding it costs to get it fixed / replaced?

2221 - 2240 of 2248 Posts