Subaru Outback Forums banner

2018 headunit issues thread.

679086 2247
Test drove an new '18 Limited w/ Eyesight & Nav a couple of times. On at least 2 occasions on different drives, the head unit completely froze up. No response to soft or hard buttons or dials. Turned the car off and on again, but it was still frozen. Turned the car off and left it for a while, and all was OK again.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?:frown2:
2241 - 2248 of 2248 Posts

·
Registered
13,626 Posts
Well dangit, I knew I shoulda come here before buying. Just picked up a 2018 3.6R Limited with 19k miles. Should I be worried about this? Anything I can check to see if my car will be affected? How much are people finding it costs to get it fixed / replaced?
for you it would be free. The warranty was extended on the 2018 units to 5 year/100k miles. You've got about 2 years left.

The problems with early units were fixed with either replacements or with software updates. You should be fine for the headunit. History of the 2018 headunit updates.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5 Touring, 2019 Crosstrek Limited, 2005 WRX
303 Posts
Well dangit, I knew I shoulda come here before buying. Just picked up a 2018 3.6R Limited with 19k miles. Should I be worried about this? Anything I can check to see if my car will be affected? How much are people finding it costs to get it fixed / replaced?
My 2018 2.5 Touring has had all the firmware updates and is functioning perfectly fine. I never really had any issues with it and stayed on top of the updates. The driver's seat bottom was replaced because of creaking and now has returned at 23K miles. I'm going to do the lithium lube treatment detailed elsewhere on this forum. I love my Outback and bet you will love yours too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had issues with the Infotainment head unit on my 2018 Subaru Outback. First, I had the whole unit die and it was replaced. Now on the new unit, my volume started today being extremely diminshed, I turn it to max volume 38 and I can easily speak over it. I looked at firm ware versions and it looks up to date. Going to check with the dealer in the morning.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Limited 2.5i
10 Posts
Is anyone here in Montgomery County, Maryland? If so, would you reply to all and/or private message me to discuss your experiences and with which dealership(s)? TIA!chrom
I live in MoCo. Pretty OK experience with Fitz in Rockville and Gaithersburg. I've had recall work done there, including the header work. My interpretation is that as most folks in MoCo don't even know how to open their hood, they treat you like that as well. Techs not interested in talking or explaining. As far a niceties they where the worst, not a good waiting room and no car wash and no interior vacuum, etc.

I go to Frederick Subaru now where the you can actually communicate with front staff and Techs and give them history of what's going, and what you've done already, etc. Understanding of doing your own maintenance. As far a niceties they where they are fine, good waiting room and snacks coffee, and no car wash and no interior vacuum, etc. A lot closer so going here now. Would buy from.

I've had a similar experience with Annapolis Subaru who I went to for a long time even though it was over an hour away. Great staff and super savvy techs. Also very understanding of doing your own maintenance As far a niceties they where the best, nice waiting room and free car wash and interior vacuum. Buying the next one from them if possible.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback Touring 3.6
58 Posts
I just got my head unit replaced. Now, has anyone put a display/screen protector on their new/replaced display/screen? Or taken any other proactive step to prevent and/or extend ("protect") display/screen going forward?

·
Premium Member
2018 2.5i Limited; "Wanderlust II"
915 Posts
I just got my head unit replaced. Now, has anyone put a display/screen protector on their new/replaced display/screen? Or taken any other proactive step to prevent and/or extend ("protect") display/screen going forward?
I put a screen protector on my HK head unit when I first got the car. It was a dismal failure; it looked like hammered a$$ and cut the touchscreen sensitivity to the point of uselessness. I took it off after two days. YMMV...

• Wow
Reactions: bobawy
2241 - 2248 of 2248 Posts