Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Touring 3.6R
346 Posts
The new ratings are out and, once again, several models of Subaru are top safety picks!

Current IIHS TOP SAFETY PICKs

As an owner of a 2018 Touring 3.6R built in July 2017, I was disappointed to see that the top rating is only awarded to those versions of that car built after September 2017. Careful review of the findings shows that’s because of the HID headlights in models like mine that are downgraded because of “glare.” Apparently Subaru changed those headlights two months later to fix this “glare” problem.

Can anyone explain this glare problem? Does it simply mean that my headlights will be more annoying to other drivers than the newer ones? Or is there some other explanation?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85BRAT97SVX03Baja5mtHonda's
2,170 Posts
back in 92 they tested without an engine in it and here is the svx overlap, a HARD test back then before they thought of this stuff

even the '78 BRAT "Aced"the test

Subaru, along with the 80's-90's Volvo ALWAYS wins always have had this

Headlights?: Headlihgts will be redesigned. they wil go back to the glass rounds from the 70's and the glass squares from the 80's. they don;t yellow with age, and they light the road. EOT

·
Registered
18 Outback 3.6r Touring
661 Posts
As an owner of a 2018 Touring 3.6R built in July 2017, I was disappointed to see that the top rating is only awarded to those versions of that car built after September 2017. Careful review of the findings shows that’s because of the HID headlights in models like mine that are downgraded because of “glare.” Apparently Subaru changed those headlights two months later to fix this “glare” problem.

Can anyone explain this glare problem? Does it simply mean that my headlights will be more annoying to other drivers than the newer ones? Or is there some other explanation?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mines an Aug build. Same situation. I do not “see” this glare and have enjoyed the nite time lighting as one of the best ever. However I do get flashed a lot driving down the road at nite so I suspect this glare is more of an impact to on coming traffic. Maybe similar to that of people who replace halogen bulbs with cheap HID bulbs? Otherwise all the safety feature and scores are the same. So I’m content.

·
Registered
2010/2016 outback
973 Posts
I'm surprised the Outback has done so well especially in the passenger small overlap test given it is not even on the SGP yet. It shows how well built this car really is

1 - 5 of 5 Posts