Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Outback Limited 3.6R
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I don't know if this is possible. Please don't chastise me, but I really am curious. As the only thing that truly interests me in the 2018 model is the apple car play. Does anybody know if you can take the infotainment center from a 2018 and put it in a 2016?

·
Registered
6 Posts
So I don't know if this is possible. Please don't chastise me, but I really am curious. As the only thing that truly interests me in the 2018 model is the apple car play. Does anybody know if you can take the infotainment center from a 2018 and put it in a 2016?

Or in 2017 3.6 limited?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 ISM Outback LTD, 20mm RSB, Draw-Tite 76227 Hitch
96 Posts
It seems like the outer dimensions of the infotainment system for both 2015-2017, and 2018, are the same, so there's a possibility that a swap could work. However, since Subaru changed manufacturers for the new infotainment, we have no idea if the connectors in the back of the unit will match up with the connectors leading to steering wheel controls, backup camera, and so on. Heck, we don't even know if it will mount in the same way, and given the price of getting a 2018 infotainment unit, I'm not surprised that no one's tried to check compatibility.

·
Premium Member
2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
3,239 Posts
Someone needs to try!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
You put up the $$$$ ?

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul

·
Registered
2016 Outback Limited 3.6R
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I am really interested. I have determined that the power outlet (usb) causes some serious issues with the iphone when using navigation. Funny thing was I was on a road trip with the wife and she discovered this. And about 24 hrs later I saw a forum post about that on here. We we tested, with the cord plugged in, GPS navigation was messed up. But unplugged we had no issues. So I think our work around is to use bluetooth for audio and use the 12v connection to put a car charger in. Or just learn to use the in dash NAV over google maps...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts