Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
Outback Limited 3.6R 2018
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I just picked up my 2018 3.6R Limited and I'm new on this forum. The first thing what I want to upgrade is LED interior lights (and plates). I noticed a lot of option on internet. Any recommendation? Is it ant brand to avoid?

Chris

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited - Magnetite - LP Adventure lift
508 Posts
Hi everyone!

I just picked up my 2018 3.6R Limited and I'm new on this forum. The first thing what I want to upgrade is LED interior lights (and plates). I noticed a lot of option on internet. Any recommendation? Is it ant brand to avoid?

Chris
Try Diode Dynamics. Or Deautokey.

I'll be doing this and fogs when my car comes in. You will need CANBUS capable fogs, and tag lights. Mine are Deautokey (currently on my VW) are insanely bright and perfect for 2 years running. Highly recommended.

Diode dynamics is pretty open about the luminosity of their LEDs.

Super bright LEDs is OK too.

Avoid ebay or cheapo LEDs. Buy good ones and youll never have to replace them.

For the tags, get the minimum brightness - 5500- 6000K . For maps, get the min to moderate brightness. I actually run red in my driver side map and 5500K in my domes and passenger map in my TDI. Red for foot well (outback has no foot well lights, you need to install them yourself if you want them) and the brightest LED you can find for the cargo area.

For fogs, Get the 360 degree light throw models with as many lumens as you can. Again - DEauto key is what I have, and they are spectactular. Luckily they are the same bulb type as the outback.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,911 Posts
There are many threads on this if you'll take advantage of the knowledge and discussions before this one by using the Search feature. Admin didn't put it there just because there was a blank space on the screen that needed filling.

The neat thing about LEDs is that you can pretty much put any color and lumen totals in your housings. I only upgraded the backup and license plate to LEDs but did upgrade all the interior lights to LED, including the vanity and also the driver and passenger door underlighting.

One bit of caution, based on my own research and purchases - more is not always better. At some point if you want the look where the aliens are in your car to suck out your brains then go for many lumens in the 6k range. You can easily go overboard replicating and creating a mobi lightstage from Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

That blue tint is futuristic and Star Trekie looking but if it makes your eyes squint from the color and the lumens then dial it down a bit. I think you'll be happier.

Also, don't be disappointed with any LEDs you put into the fog light housing. Let me be very clear here - the housings and the reflective surfaces were not designed for LEDs therefore the LEDs will not throw the light properly. People can say their LEDs are fine and a joy just like finding the toy in Crackerjack but it's not a perfect fit or design. It's a ******* design that's not right from the onset. It's neat looking but not going to be ideal.

·
Registered
'12 Honda Civic
9 Posts
I've had good success with Philips LED bulbs. They certainly are not the cheapest available, but I have not had one flicker or behave strange unlike the cheaper options (i.e. pack of 12 found on eBay, etc.) Sylvania LED's seem to be of similar quality as the Philips, but I have less experience with them.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I agree with everything here save the fog. If you get the right fogs, and turn them properly in the housings (again the deautokey 360 rotatable units) they will throw light low and to the sides you can not get with oem bulbs and it WILL matter.

You can rotate them to the proper positioning. Now, the reflector housings are different in the ob than my tdi, however I can't see them being so different that it makes them useless. Oem halogen fogs are useless. Make them a couple thousand lm and rotatable to take advantage of the reflector? Then yes they will make a stellar difference. It's the single best mod I did to my 15vw.

Unless the housings in the outback are completely useless, then they will have an effect if you get the right, rotatable led.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback, 2.5L
21 Posts
Try Diode Dynamics. Or Deautokey.

I'll be doing this and fogs when my car comes in. You will need CANBUS capable fogs, and tag lights. Mine are Deautokey (currently on my VW) are insanely bright and perfect for 2 years running. Highly recommended.
Are any of the other interior lights on the CANBUS system for the 2018? I plan on replacing the maps, domes, and door/puddle lights on mine. I'll eventually do the fogs and lowbeams, so thanks for the above tidbit!

·
Registered
2018 2.5 Outback
82 Posts
Did not use CANBUS on my 2018. Just ordered the correct bulb for each socket from VLEDS and no issues.

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
Are any of the other interior lights on the CANBUS system for the 2018? I plan on replacing the maps, domes, and door/puddle lights on mine. I'll eventually do the fogs and lowbeams, so thanks for the above tidbit!

Interior lights on Subaru are not Canbus. Also check out VLEDs brand, those are what I used and I’m very pleased.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 2.5 Limited CVT
26 Posts
Does anyone know if the interior LED upgrade is supposed to include the light over the cargo area? I ordered my 3.6 Limited with the LED upgrade but only the map and dome lights are led and I'm annoyed that they don't all match. Was a mistake make on my car or is the rear lamp not included?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Does anyone know if the interior LED upgrade is supposed to include the light over the cargo area? I ordered my 3.6 Limited with the LED upgrade but only the map and dome lights are led and I'm annoyed that they don't all match. Was a mistake make on my car or is the rear lamp not included?

'LED upgrade, map and dome'

This is why I dont buy such things. Id rather do it myself. Red for me, 6000k for passenger, dome and hatch.

You only need canbus for bulbs on warning system - Fog, reverse, etc.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Outback
95 Posts
There are many threads on this if you'll take advantage of the knowledge and discussions before this one by using the Search feature. Admin didn't put it there just because there was a blank space on the screen that needed filling.
There is so much crap all over this website, it is hard to find anything.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,911 Posts
I've never understood why anybody would want a 6000k bulb for anything.
Unless you're into recreating the main scene from Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

·
Registered
Outback 2018 2.5i Premium
172 Posts
Hatch & bottom door lights

I used these from superbrightleds.com

1 921-NWHP6: Natural White (4000k) $4.95---- hatch dome light
2 194-NW5-CBT: Natural White (4000k) $3.95-----foot lights (bottom of front doors)

I will probably replace with these: 921-CWHP6 196800k) & 195-CW5-CBT (6800k).

The 4000k hatch light looks dim compared to the front led dome light. I wanted as much light as possible (with just a quick bulb replacement). The 6800k should improve that.

As for the factory LED map lights... I find these to be annoyingly bright. There is an intensely bright spot in the plastic defuser where the bulb is. I have stuck on a small dot (3/4" dia) of masking tape and that works well to eliminate the hot spot. Need to find a bit more elegant solution.

Reactions: Dantrax

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,537 Posts
I've never understood why anybody would want a 6000k bulb for anything.
Look on the bright side. (pun intended) You can drive and tan at the same time. :)

Reactions: Dantrax

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,537 Posts
The 4000k hatch light looks dim ... The 6800k should improve that.
Color temperature has nothing to do with measured light output, and very little to do with perceived brightness.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Outback
95 Posts
No it doesnt include the cargo for some reason. I purchased the kit and now looking to find one for the cargo. Anyone know how bright the the Subaru kit is?

1 - 20 of 105 Posts