Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is just to note that the 2018 JDM Legacy/Outback Sport Grille has been tweaked a bit from the 2015-2017 JDM.

I personally love it, and really like the slight redesign. Here it is on my White OB:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2017 Limited 2.5i
1,131 Posts
^ that looks great, especially with those wheels.

Were that my vehicle I’d take some window screen material, paint it black, and zip-tie it behind that sport grille. This would help protect the radiator from rocks and would help conceal it when viewed head on.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,140 Posts
The grid pattern is nice. The chrome needs to go, but that's a matter of taste I suppose.

Brushed stainless wrap on the chrome ....

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Were that my vehicle I’d take some window screen material, paint it black, and zip-tie it behind that sport grille. This would help protect the radiator from rocks and would help conceal it when viewed head on.
This will have to happen next warm spell of weather. The bumper removal is easy enough and plenty of plastic back there to rig something to.

The grid pattern is nice. The chrome needs to go, but that's a matter of taste I suppose.

Brushed stainless wrap on the chrome ....
I agree, the chrome isn't my favorite. If it were solely my decision I'd want the Brushed or Black/Dark Grey surround. With it being the wife's car/family wagon it'll probably stay chrome to match the window trims.

Though if those were to get wrapped in a brushed stainless at some point . . .

·
Registered
2016 Carbide Grey 2.5 Limited Outback with Eyesight. Add-on: Geolandar GO15's on 17" WRX rims, Ecohitch
300 Posts
Looks great! Thanks for sharing. I wasn't 100% sold on the previous version of the JDM grille because of how flush the mesh was with the chrome. Now that's it's recessed, it looks perfect...except it won't fit on a 2016. Haha...well enjoy yours!

·
Registered
187 Posts
I like the look, I don't like the price.

·
Registered
00 Outback wagon 03 VDC wagon 18 Touring 3.6 white
414 Posts
I like it as it is. Price does seem up there but I would pay it to change the look that much. Could the OP give us a blow by blow of the install? That is the only thing holding me back. Thanks

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I like it as it is. Price does seem up there but I would pay it to change the look that much. Could the OP give us a blow by blow of the install? That is the only thing holding me back. Thanks
Super simple install. There are several YouTube videos (search JDM grill install Subaru Outback) and follow along. Way better instruction than I could write out here. Some plastic press fit plugs, a few screws, and some gentle pulling and the thing is loose. Then just unplug your fogs. Grill comes out with a few screws, install new one, reverse process.

Also to answer about the non-emblem grill question - I haven't seen one on the market and this one cannot be deleted (at least not easily).

·
Registered
2018 Limited 2.5i
635 Posts
So I saw the backing plate for the grille/camera opening. What are the other 2 black pieces for? The subie bros video is for a 2015-2017 so no mention of it.

·
Registered
2018 Limited 2.5i
635 Posts
installed this grille this weekend- only casualty during install were 4 holes for the retaining clips were broke... the subiebros video forgot to mention there are 8 or so retaining clips along the bottom edge and for some reason I didn't think there was a clip on each side of the bumper where it meets the fender. overall install prob took an hr or less by myself. definitely a nice upgrade in my opinion.

and to answer the previous question- the grille assemble is plastic.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited; 2" LP Aventure lift, LPA skid plates and small bumper guard, diff breather relocation, subframe skids; Motegi MR118 17x8et32 wheels; Yakima LoadWarrior with extension; ARB
318 Posts
Plastic?! Oof. I like the looks, a lot, but just wish the price wasn't as high as it is. I could see spending that on something that wasn't plastic, maybe...IMO. But ****...they DO look good. Especially on the white, IMO.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts