Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Outback 18 Ltd 3.6
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

Picked up an Outback 2018 Limited (3.6) earlier this week. Paired my Pixel XL (Android 8) with the head unit. I use Smart AudioBook Player (3.3.9) for audio books. I cant get any audio coming out the speakers over bluetooth. The head unit displays a message requiring user interaction, start the audio app on your phone. Google Music App works fine, a bit flaky to get it started at times though. The audiobook app is incrementing seconds and audio volume shows max connected to a bluetooth device.

Anyone else with this issue or figured out how to fix?

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 2.5i
336 Posts

·
Registered
Outback 18 Ltd 3.6
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TacomaOB had some issues with his Pixel and ok google which I think turned out to be related to the Pixel implementation of bt fighting with the head unit (and fairly common) It might require some software updates on the android end (check android, FI, & bluetooth forums).
The Pixel XL is on the latest major build 8.0.0 and on the latest Sept security (9-5-17) updates. My concern is that dealer will be clueless on this. My short term workaround is probably an AUX connection. I connected it to my home WiFi and no updates for the Subaru software.

Does Subaru have any type of technical support outside of the dealer network?

·
Registered
1 Posts
We are having the same error message in our 2018 Subaru Outback with our iPhones. "Start the audio app on your phone" Bluetooth no longer works. We are also in San Diego and I'm sure we are going through same dealer who hasn't been able to come up with an answer. Any resolution on your end?

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 3.6r Venetian Red, Black almost Leather interior with Husky mats
9 Posts
I am having trouble with Google Pixel Xl 2016, bluetooth and Subaru 17 Limited HK stereos. I cannot listen to voicemails, ok google not working, etc. I started with not enabling media sounds via Subaru BT and just having BT transmit calls and texts, then turned off texts, and after lots of driving and playing with settings, I ended turning off Subaru BT and going back to BT earbuds/handsets and wear it in my ear.

If anyone gets the new Pixel 2, please let us know how it works!

Thanks

·
Registered
2018 OB Limited 3.6R
201 Posts
All,

Picked up an Outback 2018 Limited (3.6) earlier this week. Paired my Pixel XL (Android 8) with the head unit. I use Smart AudioBook Player (3.3.9) for audio books. I cant get any audio coming out the speakers over bluetooth. The head unit displays a message requiring user interaction, start the audio app on your phone. Google Music App works fine, a bit flaky to get it started at times though. The audiobook app is incrementing seconds and audio volume shows max connected to a bluetooth device.

Anyone else with this issue or figured out how to fix?

Are you playing Google Music through the Android Auto app?

·
Registered
Outback 18 Ltd 3.6
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you playing Google Music through the Android Auto app?
Android Auto via USB cable has so far worked flawless. Trying to avoid adding 2-3 extra charge cycles every day to my phone hence why I use BT. I use Android Auto for longer road trips.

In the past couple of days I have not been able to get anything playing at all. Shocking that this passed QC/QA. Everyday when I am parking I am hoping for an OTA update to fix issues. The question is do we need to report to subaru somehow?

·
Registered
2018 OB Limited 3.6R
201 Posts
I've found a number of my problems have been related to my phone. Reboots of the phone usually solves the problem. No more nasty issues since performing a factory rest on the HU though. Still very buggy experience overall though.

I would report to a Subaru directly rather than going through the dealer. Probably a good idea to provide them the links to the threads on this forum to make the point that others are also having lots of issues. Unless they don't test anything or they drive competitors vehicles, they know it's a problem. They just need to hear a lot of complaints.

Carcomplaints.com is always useful to elevate visibility if enough of us do it. I really like Subaru but they do deserve a black eye on the HU issues. They tend to get better from that kind of thing anyway. Glad they are the type of organization that tries to improve from their errors.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
10 Posts
Same issue with my pixel when trying to play music on google play music. If i turn off bluetooth and turn it on again I am able to play music on other apps such as tunein radio and iheart radio, but once i try to play something on google play music it plays for maybe half a second then stops. After that nothing else works until i turn off bluetooth and turn it on again.

·
Registered
'18 Limited 3.6; 08 OBXT
14 Posts
Similar issue but different, so maybe related and/or open to suggestions:
Plugging an iPod in thru the usb port, I get a media loading type message that eventually ends with unable to play media. Not BT type though, just a straight connect. Works fine in a work Tacoma.

·
Registered
2018 OB Limited 3.6R
201 Posts
Same issue with my pixel when trying to play music on google play music. If i turn off bluetooth and turn it on again I am able to play music on other apps such as tunein radio and iheart radio, but once i try to play something on google play music it plays for maybe half a second then stops. After that nothing else works until i turn off bluetooth and turn it on again.
I will try using Google music from my Nexus and see if it is any different.

·
Registered
Outback 18 Ltd 3.6
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I found that turning on radio right before I turn off the ignition it helps me to reconnect. Turn on radio. Turn of ignition. When I start the car let radio play for a minute or so, then try bluetooth.

·
Registered
2018 OB Limited 3.6R
201 Posts
I have no issues playing Google Music from my Nexus on 8.0. Did Google update the Bluetooth version on the Pixel? Are the issues with both the Pixel and Pixel 2?

·
Registered
Outback 18 Ltd 3.6
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have no issues playing Google Music from my Nexus on 8.0. Did Google update the Bluetooth version on the Pixel? Are the issues with both the Pixel and Pixel 2?
I have no idea. Getting very frustrated to see the screen about starting the music application. When it I start either google play music or my audio book player the players count seconds so its playing something but nothing comes out of the speakers on the HU.

Attachments

·
Registered
Outback 18 Ltd 3.6
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I see that. I am on the Oct 5 security update and its still not resolved. I am more inclined to throw google under the bus for this one. Did noone at google test bluetooth during Android 8 QA/QC? :1pat:

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT
19 Posts
If anyone gets the new Pixel 2, please let us know how it works!

Thanks
I have a Google Pixel 2 XL and an LG V30. Both work flawlessly in my 2018 Outback Limited using Android Auto. Granted, I'm not using a non-standard audio app. If I'm playing anything besides Sirius XM, it's typically through Google Play Music.

·
Registered
Outback 18 Ltd 3.6
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have a Google Pixel 2 XL and an LG V30. Both work flawlessly in my 2018 Outback Limited using Android Auto. Granted, I'm not using a non-standard audio app. If I'm playing anything besides Sirius XM, it's typically through Google Play Music.
Android Auto via USB cable works decent. Try it over bluetooth

·
Registered
Outback 18 Ltd 3.6
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Android Security updates for Nov-2017 downloading on my Pixel XL. Lets see if it improves connectivity.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts