Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outaback 2.5i Limited with eyesight.
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 300 miles on my 2018 limited and had an issue yesterday with the head unit. We were driving and listening to the radio and suddenly the sound just went away. We didn't think anything of it as we weren't really paying much attention to the radio until we reached our destination and noticed that the head unit wouldn't turn off when the car was shut down and the door was opened to exit. The unit was just stuck on. I got back in the car and restarted the engine and attempted to secure the unit by pressing the volume knob for several seconds. The unit wouldn't shut off so I went into settings and tried to turn it off there with no luck. I then selected restart and the unit cycled to the "Starlink" page and remained on so I waited for a few minutes to see if it would re-boot which it never did. Already running late for our dinner reservation we closed the doors and locked them via the fob since the door handle locks also weren't working. We looked inside the car and the unit was still on the "Starlink" page. We went in and had dinner and when we returned to the car about 1.5 hours later the unit was still on and on the same page as when we left. I was worried the battery would be dead but the car started and we drove 30 minutes back to our house with the head unit showing the blue background and the word "Starlink" still stuck there. When I got the car in the garage I opened the hood and disconnected the black lead to the battery and waited for a few minutes. After a few minutes I reconnected the battery and everything was now working the way it is supposed to work. This morning we drove 25 minutes each way to Church and everything seemed to be working fine. I suspect that this will happen again at some point and I'll have to wait for it to fail before I bring it in to the dealer because with everything working I'm not sure they'll be able to diagnose the issue. I've had many cars with navigation systems and this is a first for me so I thought I would post to see if others are having a similar issue.

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Outback 3.6R Touring arrived 8/31/2017
343 Posts
I have 300 miles on my 2018 limited and had an issue yesterday with the head unit. We were driving and listening to the radio and suddenly the sound just went away. We didn't think anything of it as we weren't really paying much attention to the radio until we reached our destination and noticed that the head unit wouldn't turn off when the car was shut down and the door was opened to exit. The unit was just stuck on. I got back in the car and restarted the engine and attempted to secure the unit by pressing the volume knob for several seconds. The unit wouldn't shut off so I went into settings and tried to turn it off there with no luck. I then selected restart and the unit cycled to the "Starlink" page and remained on so I waited for a few minutes to see if it would re-boot which it never did. Already running late for our dinner reservation we closed the doors and locked them via the fob since the door handle locks also weren't working. We looked inside the car and the unit was still on the "Starlink" page. We went in and had dinner and when we returned to the car about 1.5 hours later the unit was still on and on the same page as when we left. I was worried the battery would be dead but the car started and we drove 30 minutes back to our house with the head unit showing the blue background and the word "Starlink" still stuck there. When I got the car in the garage I opened the hood and disconnected the black lead to the battery and waited for a few minutes. After a few minutes I reconnected the battery and everything was now working the way it is supposed to work. This morning we drove 25 minutes each way to Church and everything seemed to be working fine. I suspect that this will happen again at some point and I'll have to wait for it to fail before I bring it in to the dealer because with everything working I'm not sure they'll be able to diagnose the issue. I've had many cars with navigation systems and this is a first for me so I thought I would post to see if others are having a similar issue.
I have the Touring, don't remember head unit differences between models, but I'd note that the software has lots of stupid bugs overall.

The head unit has Linux as the underlying OS, and depending on configuration and how applications are written, it should have logs of important system events such as application failure, etc. but other than how the applications are written and the OS is configured, it's very unclear to me if Subaru technicians have suitable log analysis tools to automate checking that, or the experience/knowledge to do so without such tools: the latter is very unlikely, the former, slightly less so.

It may also be that the technicians have no access to such low-level logs, and the system is configured for only updating the OS and applications if and only if an update file has been properly cryptographically signed, but I haven't read/heard/found information to confirm/deny how this works yet.

I'm not an auto mechanic, but I do such work for a living for analyzing what's going on in the guts of computers.

·
Registered
187 Posts
find out which fuse goes to the HU and pull that next time so your just affecting the HU. but yeah if it does it more take it to the dealer while its stuck.

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Outback 3.6R Touring arrived 8/31/2017
343 Posts
find out which fuse goes to the HU and pull that next time so your just affecting the HU. but yeah if it does it more take it to the dealer while its stuck.
D'OH!

That sounds like a less extreme solution than the car battery cable disconnection method.

One word of warning may be in order for doing this: verify if anything else is on the same fuse before leaving the fuse out. I tried this method with my 93 Saturn SC2 when the windshield wipers refused to turn off, removed the fuse, and discovered emissions controls were on the same fuse, and the engine would not start with emissions controls disabled.

Removing the fuse and then replacing it after 30 seconds will hopefully be sufficient to reset it and not leave anything else disabled (if they did such a thing as sharing a fuse), depending on how they implemented things.

·
Registered
2018 Outack Limited, with Eyesight (Canadian model) Crystal white pearl, black leather interior
84 Posts
I had a similar issue with my 2018 Limited. Backup camera stopped working. Called the dealer and they suggested a factory reset. Tried that and everything froze just left the Starlink screen and could access nothing. He then said disconnect battery for a minute. Problem solved. Like you if it happens again off to the dealer I go.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Great idea. I would have removed the battery cable if it happened to me. Deciphering the fuse panel diagrams is not trivial though as Subaru uses cryptic names. I blew a fuse yesterday while replacing an interior light and had to look at a wiring diagram to pinpoint fuse #26 in the passenger compartment with the label "BACK UP". The navigation unit is fuse #4 (for 2017) as the label is meaningful: "AUDIO NAVI".

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Drove the car all day yesterday with out issue. The alarming thing here is that the unit wouldn't shut off even with the car turned off and after opening and closing the doors. Even the power button was froze and in-operative. I consider myself to be very computer literate and I understand that sometimes computers just need a hard reset but this has never happened to me with a cars navigation unit.

Removing the battery cable is quick and easy and isn't a big deal. I figured it was easier than trying to find the fuse at night without having to dig out my flashlight and reading glasses. if this same issue happens to someone else I would like to know about it. Not much confidence int he electronics right now.

·
Registered
2018 Limited 2.5i
18 Posts
Same exact issue here this morning on my 18 Outback Limited with 2800 miles on it. On the highway a half hour into a trip the radio just cut out. I am pretty sure it was the same moment as a lane departure warning.
Volume controls do nothing (no indicator on the scrrrn of vol level) and I lost the speed limit, compass, audio tabs on the dash (it even says audio off). Pushing or turning the power button on the head unit does nothing, holding the power button does nothing either. I can change the channel on the head unit but there's still no sound. I hoped when I got to work I could just turn the car off and then back on, but the head unit never turned off even when locking the doors. It's completely stuck. I also don't have a functional backup camera although I do get the sensor beeps so it seems more that the head unit is stuck and won't display the image.
Later today I'll have to pull the battery cable or fuse but i didn't have time to mess with it so hopefully the battery won't be dead.
Did this ever happen to you a second time? I called the dealer and they said they didn't know anything about it.
There seems to be a trend here. FWIW I have also noticed a bit of rattling in and around the head unit and center dash speaker cover. I wonder if something is loose and finally worked itself free?

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited Eyesight - Remote Start - Auto Dimming In/Outside Mirrors
248 Posts
So people complain that their radio does not turn off ... and now they complain it does turn off! Ug ...

:)

Fingers crossed this does not happen to me.
@jg777z - welcome!

·
Registered
2018 Limited 2.5i
18 Posts
@theoak thanks for the welcome!

Brought it to the dealer this morning, after it miraculously started (I thought for sure the battery would be dead after 24 hours of continuous display). I expected to have to convince them I'm not crazy but was pleasantly surprised. They have already seen this before and HK is working on a fix. They already had a list of a few dozen questions to ask about what was connected, what was on or off etc at the time to try to duplicate it.
I had pulled the number 4 interior fuse and it did nothing. They said the only "fix" for the time being is to disconnect the battery and discharge the car by touching the battery cables to each other (not while on the battery!), then reconnecting.
They expect a software fix "soon". I'll leave it to your imagination as to what that means but it would be a trip to the dealer, not an over the air update, and would probably come as a notice from subaru to all 18 Outback owners (at least those with the 8" nav screen, it seems to be limited to the nav variants).

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just to give everyone an update since it appears that I was the first one to report this issue. I'm happy mine wasn't an isolated case and it's reassuring to know that a fix should be coming.

I now have 2200 miles on the care and this issue has yet to return. I did tell my dealer and they didn't really have much to say other than to bring it in if it happens again. Seems like my Outback is the first they've heard of it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Oddly enough,I had a similar problem with things locking up and my radio not going off even with the car shut off. I disconnected the battery overnight and the radio started immediately upon reconnecting the battery. It wasn't until I actually restarted the motor that things then finally returned to normal. In fact,I had made an appt to return it to the dealership for the service department to look at it and that was where I was headed to when it returned to normal. I cancelled the appt. for that day. That was over a month ago and it hasn't acted up again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same issue on my 2018 limited with nav.

1 hour into trip sound cuts off.

Radio will not turn off even when car turned off.

Pulled several fuses including #4 and they did nothing.

Had to disconnect battery to reset radio.

While not working, Everything remained responsive on radio just no sound and brightness could not be adjusted. Backup camera did not work. Could not connect to WiFi as car thought it was in motion even when parked.

Everything cleared up after battery disconnect.

Clearly a problem on the 2018 outback limited with nav.

·
Registered
Outback 18 Ltd 3.6
23 Posts
I guess this is fine if you feel comfortable working in the engine compartment. However I have a feeling my spouse would not pop the hood and disconnect the battery if it would happen.

If the battery would run down and leave you stranded Subaru should at minimum cover recovery charges, travel expenses and a battery replacement. Hopefully its not an endemic issue and that they will resolve with a recall shortly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Quick update.

Talked to my dealer today.

They had another 2018 Outback Limited w/ Nav in for the exact same reason. They hoped to get an answer back from Subaru soon.

I am going to let the dealer/Subaru diagnose the problem on other cars until they find the fix.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Last update.

Dealer ordered a new head unit for another 2018 Outback experiencing the same problem.

I am taking it in next week to confirm but they believe it will require a new unit for my car as well.

So, at least with my dealer, they do not believe a software only update would solve the problem and it will require a new head unit.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5 Limited Eyesight
1 Posts
Same thing happened to me today. Just 3 days and 200 km after getting new 2018 Limited 2.5 with eyesight. Going down the freeway and suddenly no sound. System will not turn off after stopping car. Can move through radio or satellite stations but no sound. No sound on phone calls. backup camera did not work. Tried the battery disconnect for 20 minutes and upon startup the sound system appears normal. Thanks everyone! Will report it to the dealer.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited with eyesight, sun roof, everything. Ice Silver Metallic, Slate Black Leather. Second 3.6R Limited Sube
3 Posts
Well isn’t this a joy. I have a 2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited with everything. 4,000 + miles and the same issues happened tonight on my way home from work. Since the head unit would not do anything or turn off I called my dealer and they said they had not heard of that issue. We talked about removing the #4 fuse but I was not able to get it out. I was to drop it off at the dealer tomorrow morning so they could look at it. Plugged in my jump started in case the battery is dead in the morning. After reading all of the post I decided to go ahead and take the battery cable off and restart the unit. All is well for now. If it happens again I will take it to the dealer. Thanks for all of the helpful post.

·
Registered
2018 Outack Limited, with Eyesight (Canadian model) Crystal white pearl, black leather interior
84 Posts
Happened to me at 400 miles. Called dealer and they suggested a reset. Tried that and everything froze, they then said disconnect battery for one minute. Bingo, no issues since but I have a 10mm wreck in the console tray.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited with eyesight, sun roof, everything. Ice Silver Metallic, Slate Black Leather. Second 3.6R Limited Sube
3 Posts
A week and a day later and the same problem with the head unit except this time the backup camera worked. Last time no backup camera. I was going to take the car in when it happened again but I need it so I disconnected the battery again and it is working just like it is supposed to. Just over 5,000 miles on the car.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts