Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2018 OB Premium 2.5i Nav
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Others have written there's no SD card in the 2018 nav head. Well there has to be some flash memory and an SD card is the easy way to do that. Maybe it just isn't user accessible. There's a doohickey in the compartment with aux & USB sockets that looks like it pops out with a special quarter turn wrench to expose something just the right size for a micro sd. If that's not it, does anyone know what it is? Or know for certain there really is no sd card in the system, so how do map updates go in? These pictures appear upside down. 20180731_100341_1533057772390.jpg
20180731_100024_1533057819174.jpg

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Outback Limited
213 Posts
Since you haven’t gotten a reply from someone with a 2018 let me suggest that you check your manual.

·
Registered
2018 OB Premium 2.5i Nav
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I've gone through the 2018 manuals. I didn't find anything about GPS data, sd card, updates (except by wifi) or the plastic thingy I photographed.

·
Registered
2018 Legacy 36R
296 Posts
I am under the impression that starting with 2018 the updates will come over the Internet and you will be able to download them via wifi. I have had my car connected, just pulled up next to the house and entered my network ID and pass phrase. It connected with no problem, unfortunately it tells me no updates are available but I'll check in once a month or so.

Sure hope we get some new maps, the ones I have are pretty close to useless in this area.

·
Registered
'18 Outback Limited/Ex: 2000 Outback Limited
203 Posts
Give Google a shot... "subaru map updates". I don't know the actual URL, but this will get you to Subaru's map site.

Quickie answer...'18s' use a USB flash drive OR your home LAN for direct download.

Yea, the manuals at time do leave a lot to be desired at times.

Bill

·
Registered
2018 OB Premium 2.5i Nav
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes... the question still unanswered is: where are those updated maps, Favorite and Recent waypoints stored in the OB? Must be flash memory in or connected to the nav head.

·
Registered
Tungsten 2018 Outback 3.6R Limited w/ES
179 Posts
Yes... the question still unanswered is: where are those updated maps, Favorite and Recent waypoints stored in the OB? Must be flash memory in or connected to the nav head.
Sure, they're most likely in some kind of Non-Volatile Memory (NVM) or they would be lost whenever the battery is disconnected. Whether or not that NV memory is removable, or user accessible, I don't know. From a manufacturing standpoint, it's less complicated and more reliable to have the NV memory soldered directly on the printed circuit board. A removable SD card is subject to dirty or corroded contacts, type mismatch, user mishandling, dog ingestion, etc etc.

That said, I have installed the Subaru Map Downloader software on my PC, but so far it only says there's no update available for my 2018. Subaru customer service told me to expect it in July/Aug time-frame.

Once an update is available, I expect the Map Downloader software will give instructions on how to apply the update. I expect that a USB stick will be required to transfer the map to the car instead of WiFi.

Why the unit can't just get the map update directly from WiFi without the need of special Map Downloader software and a USB is something only Subaru / Harmon Kardon could tell us - but they probably won't.

·
Registered
2018 OB Premium 2.5i Nav
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought map updates would come through wifi (along with system updates Starlink EyeSight etc) as allowed through user menu, for 3 years + as long as you pay for subscription.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts