Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited w/ Technology Pkg. / Nav
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2018 Outback 3.6R Limited w/ Tech package & Navigation System.
Picked it up Oct. 21st , 2017.

1) Nav. system (TomTom) does not recognize 407ETR East extension.
Owners manual advises contact dealer for map update info. Dealer does not know.
Spoke to Subaru Canada. They advise:

"It is important to note that, the Navigation System in your 2018 Subaru Outback contained the most current data available at the time of production of your vehicle. In relation to your concerns with the new 407ETR, please be informed that, the process to update map data is actually very involved, and often map providers
are waiting for municipalities to provide them with the updated information. Updates are made once the Navigation provider receives the updates from the municipalities."

Both Garmin and Audi MMI systems recognize the 407ETR extension.

Does anyone have additional info on how to update maps on 2018 Outbacks?
What the last updated map version is?

Please advise.

Thanks

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium, silver
445 Posts
The concept of the supplier of the navigation and map software waiting for a municipality to provide updated information as to changes in the road system, is absurd and is a completely BS answer on Subaru's part.

The company that provides maps for auto navigation for Garmin devices is NavTech. They have field checking tech's who actually drive the roads, look for new developments, then map out those new additions to the road infrastructure to provide to Garmin. Which is why the GPS companies can push updated maps in a much more timely fashion then an automotive manufacturer.

This is why I will never buy a built in Nav system from the car manufacturer. The technology is typically years out of date as are the maps. I specifically didn;t get an OB Premium, instead opting for a Limited, as I didn't want all the crap such as the useless nav. system and the moon roof, or motorized rear hatch. I wanted the lane changing warning and Eyesight, but they don't package that way.

·
Registered
2017 OB Limited 3.6
114 Posts
I specifically didn;t get an OB Premium, instead opting for a Limited, as I didn't want all the crap such as the useless nav. system and the moon roof, or motorized rear hatch. I wanted the lane changing warning and Eyesight, but they don't package that way.
FWIW - You list a 2017 OB Premium as being currently owned and under your pic.

·
Registered
445 Posts
My mistake, it’s a Premium.

·
Registered
2018 OB Limited 2.5i, 2016 OB Limited 2.5i, 2014 OB Limited 2.5i, 2013 Audi A6 Prestige, 2006 Nissan Murano SL AWD (Retired)
171 Posts
The concept of the supplier of the navigation and map software waiting for a municipality to provide updated information as to changes in the road system, is absurd and is a completely BS answer on Subaru's part.

The company that provides maps for auto navigation for Garmin devices is NavTech. They have field checking tech's who actually drive the roads, look for new developments, then map out those new additions to the road infrastructure to provide to Garmin. Which is why the GPS companies can push updated maps in a much more timely fashion then an automotive manufacturer.

This is why I will never buy a built in Nav system from the car manufacturer. The technology is typically years out of date as are the maps. I specifically didn;t get an OB Premium, instead opting for a Limited, as I didn't want all the crap such as the useless nav. system and the moon roof, or motorized rear hatch. I wanted the lane changing warning and Eyesight, but they don't package that way.
This has to be one of the funniest answers that I have seen in awhile. Not that I want to belittle you but one should not speak as an authority on a subject that they evidently know very little about.

No, HERE and/or Garmin and/or TomTom and/or ESRI and any other GIS oriented mapping concern does not "have techs driving roads looking for new developments." Yes, Subaru cheaped out on a quality explanation but they are not completely off-base.

No, there are not techs driving over 4 million miles of USA roadways "looking for new roads" and magically "mapping them out." There are a host of resources that contribute to the base data that eventually finds its way as an As-Built roadway and a hundred different attributes that defines said roadway. This requires hosts like developers, municipalities, State, County, and Federal authorities (including Government entities like USDA, DOT, The Military Branches, etc.). Then the public contributes changes to attributes that find their way into your map as part of a "social network" or "crowd sourcing." Then, the mapping concerns review, check, and may even send out a contracted resource to verify future edits. Only then may a map segment be published. Then a thousand map segments get published. Then 10,000... until it becomes a viable update as part of a USA North America map update.

Yes, Google does this best because publishing a segment is nothing more than doing the due-diligence to verify the edits and then they send a small piece of GIS code out to replace the old data that is housed in a series of huge data warehouses around the world on thousands of servers serving millions of people who render a tiny segment of map data on their 5" screen often over the cellular data network.... and then the next time you render that section, the update is available... like having an update publish after you drive to work and seeing the change on the way home on the same route....

Now, why a Car Nav System? Because it is a stand-alone unit that does not rely on a third party system like your cellular Carrier to deliver a "Just In Time" map image. Yes, devices have become larger silicon based storage units and can now handle large map files but I don't believe you can effectively download Google's Maps in their entirety on your phone at this time. The files systems are huge. I believe you can download maps for a given route and that's just a fraction of the overall data set. Sort of like the days of AAA Trip Tix for those of you of a certain age. Too much back-end data that needs to be rendered to look like a viable map. And yes, stand-alone Nav systems like Garmin are great, and portable, and easy to use... and they take up space, and add another element of "break into my car please and steal me" and don't work when you have all kinds of other crap that you need plugged in for your job. Just another thing that's "in the way."

So what's the real problem? The real problem is that the Manufacturers and the Head Unit suppliers are slow to adopt and adapt. And that's shameful. There are many of us who rely on the in auto NAV as a business tool, not just a gimmick or a feature. We drive in places where cell service is spotty for making calls let alone downloading data at LTE speeds. We often are roaming on secondary networks that throttle our data and basically render our phones useless. Companies like Garmin own and operate vast networks and lease huge data warehousing (think Google Data Centers and Amazon EC2) which helps them process data in a timely manner, store published data, and push it on scheduled "Live Updates." No, they are not live. There is still a schedule at HERE. They're just "relatively often" updates. But Subaru (and other branded products) are not. We store hundreds of "destinations" and waypoints. We rely on the clear telemetry data, traffic information, and rerouting opportunities to satisfy our patients and customers. You still rely on these third-parties who will first care for their primary manufacturers and the Auto Market Head Unit folks come in a distant third.. fourth... or whatever.

So... Just remember when your Municipality turns that one dangerous road into a forced dead-end, or changes a road to a One-Way street... or changes a speed limit for a half a mile for safety reasons... That one half a mile speed attribute has to be banged up against 4,000,000+ miles of ALL THE OTHER possible data points that may or may not be changing at any time. The US is really really BIG and has lots and lots of roads, attributes, and POIs.

Phew.
Happy Naving....
Reactions: JeffinVA

·
Registered
445 Posts
This has to be one of the funniest answers that I have seen in awhile. Not that I want to belittle you but one should not speak as an authority on a subject that they evidently know very little about.

No, HERE and/or Garmin and/or TomTom and/or ESRI and any other GIS oriented mapping concern does not "have techs driving roads looking for new developments." Yes, Subaru cheaped out on a quality explanation but they are not completely off-base.

Some easy research yielded 2 articles describing that field checks is exactly what Navteq does. A NY Times article from '06 describes it as "On any given day at Navteq, the nation's largest digital map company, as many as 550 field analysts in 131 offices around the world may be on the road charting street grids".

If you subscribe to the Times it's here;
Matching Digital Maps to America's Ever-Changing Roads - The New York Times

As well there's a Financial Times article about the same thing, how they send tech's to the field, with laptops, roof top mounted GPS antenna's, etc...... can't link it you have to be a subscriber, but you get the idea.

And as BTW, the tone of your post is obnoxious.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited, Crimson Red Pearl
123 Posts
Sort of like the days of AAA Trip Tix for those of you of a certain age.
I remember my Dad picking these up from AAA and using them on our vacations. I was fascinated by them and would read them for hours.

·
Registered
Tungsten 2018 Outback 3.6R Limited w/ES
179 Posts
I purchased a 2018 Outback 3.6R Limited w/ Tech package & Navigation System.
Picked it up Oct. 21st , 2017.

1) Nav. system (TomTom) does not recognize 407ETR East extension.

Please advise.

Thanks
When you get to the end of your in-auto map ( Harmony Road? ), and there's still highway visible ahead, keep going! j/k :wink2:

Seriously though, has anyone with a Subaru Nav system from a few years ago ever received an update, or are we stuck with the map as it was at manufacture?

Just checked... Mine shows 407 ending at Brock Road; that's pretty bad. It was June 2016 when it was extended to Harmony Rd, and the 412 was added. If this is the level of support updates, I'll just leave it turned off and rely on offline-maps that I pre-load onto a smartphone or tablet. Maybe I can get suction cups and mount a tablet over top of the Nav screen.

Keep checking here.... https://www.subaru.ca/WebPage.aspx?WebSiteID=282&WebPageID=20387#maps to see if there are updates for the 2018 HK units; we'll see.

I also found that you can register to receive free map updates for 3 years, I believe. Here's the website.. https://subaru-maps.com
In order to sign up, you have to enter a code that comes from "Settings" > "Navigation" > "Map Update Information". Good luck with that! All I get from that is "Try again later". What the heck Subaru, seriously?

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Outback Limited
209 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Sounds like the auto manufacturers (at least some of them) are recognizing the problem.

Although I doubt they will surpass Google and Apple.
I get that it's a complicated process to aggregate all the GIS data from various sources, but the OP is not talking about some little road in a new housing development that was just built; 407 is a major highway, as is the 412. These are called "400 series" highways in Ontario, and are multi-lane expressways around and between major urban centres. They are the main arteries for inter-city travel. Subaru could at least ensure that the Nav systems they sell contain current data for those roads. Otherwise they're just providing a "Navigation System" because it looks good in the glossy brochure, but is functionally useless.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i ltd
12 Posts
I asked customer service about registering my OB on subaru-maps.com using the code from my car's nav system. She was unaware of this procedure, but researched it for me and sent this response:
You can create an account but wont be able to register a car.
We are updating the site to accept a VIN number instead of request code, which is why it is not working for you.
You will get an email in the coming weeks when we launch Gen 3 map updates with instructions.
I hope ths information is helpful.

·
Registered
179 Posts
You will get an email in the coming weeks when we launch Gen 3 map updates with instructions.
What customer care told me was that I should check back in July or August for an updated map. They never even addressed my question why I couldn't register my vehicle on subaru-maps.com ( no code on my nav unit settings ). They said that I was at the wrong website; and gave me another link - which in turn brought me to subaru-maps.com. Very helpful, NOT.

It appears to me that they don't really know much about the nav system they put in their cars; it's just another marketing check-box because every other car has it.

Well, if it's true that a Gen 3 Map update is launched in the coming weeks, at least maybe there's some (forlorn ) hope for an updated map soon.

Edit: I just checked subaru-maps.com, and it is now using the VIN to register a vehicle. Of course, when I enter my VIN, I get... "Your VIN is not valid or not registered yet. Please try again or come back in a few weeks." YRMV, good luck.

·
Registered
179 Posts
O.K. On subaru-maps.com, I can now register my '18 Outback using its VIN. This then allows me to download a "Map Downloader Installer for Windows" program. I'm not sure why I need a separate program just to download a map file, but that's just how it is. Kinda like I don't know why I always need the radio turned on in my car, but that's just how it is.

I downloaded and installed the Map Downloader after which, I ran it. I have to sign-in using the same credentials I use on subaru-maps.com. It shows my vehicle, but when I select "Updates" is says "No updates for registered vehicle". No soup for you!!!!!

Baby steps, but making progress in getting an up-to-date map. I sure hope there's one before my 'subscription' expires on 2021-03-20!

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6R Limited
424 Posts
Is there a place you can find out what map version is the latest available, so you don't have to go through the process of yanking the microSD card out of your head unit and putting into your PC running the Subaru Toolbox application just to find out that there's no new map yet?

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R with Eyesight
1 Posts
I just purchased my car at the end of May - I was advised recently that my car has the "latest and greatest" Map. Based on the version (991) I put it back to between May/August 2017. Before I got there I realized issues when I couldn't find Qdoba in Buggalo NY - there on my Garmin but not in the car. But probably the least of my worries as they confirmed that - although the website says we can save hundreds of dollars getting 3 years of free map updates, the reality is one update a year. And as I have read - it appears that what we get will be, ahem, scraps.

With my portable Garmin, of which I will probably end up using when travelling locally in towns, either I waste my time complaining to Garmin to update POIs or I go to poi-factory.com and download POI sets. Not perfect by any means but better than nothing. Alternative too with the right cell plan in the US I will use the Google Maps or even Waze - those do work most of the time with the Android Auto - but even that feature is weak having to use a cable and a very limited subset of the real phone app.

My main focus on getting the Limited Subaru was more with the V6 and seat adjustment memory (I am 6'1"; wife is 4'9"). 25 years of screwing around with the seats - it was worth the premium. The map was a nice bonus but to an extent pitiful in their offerings. The one bonus is integration into the dash itself - showing both speed and directions. I am unsure if that is common with other vehicles or not.

What would have been nice would be to be able to find what you want with Google (live) and "send it" to the Subaru TomTom map as a coordinates and then have it go there. But alas ... can we even enter coordinates?

TWO QUESTIONS

Has anyone found any issues with the mapping and Sirius Traffic?

First, funny thing with the mapping - and integrated Sirius traffic alerts (nice touch to have to pay for a second subscription). I am driving south (TORONTO) in the AM along the 404 from Elgin Mills. The map actually said to get off at Major Mackenzie due to (I think) traffic. But what it said was to get immediately back on - you can see that visually. Basically get off at the next exit - but then get back on immediately - to save what I don't know. I haven't tested yet by turning off the traffic feed. My larger problem is - I know Toronto so I don't have to follow what it says. I am most keen on seeing what the thing will do with a MAJOR traffic incident (to see if paying for Sirius is warranted). But I am concerned. If I am driving down I-95 or something and it says get off - it would have to be a valid reason to do so. Right now there is no valid reason. There is traffic volume but there is no reason to force a re-route - without evening ask me! The Garmin at least will say congestion and I can then decide to find alternatives. I have to wonder if the Subaru has a limited/lower end TomTom engine. I will flesh this out by turning off the traffic and see if it does any better.

RONTER - One major PITA with Garmin has always been the Collectors v. Express. Coming from the west it will always want me to enter the collectors even though I am going north on the 400 eventually (which we can do from either). The same thing happened around Frederick Maryland; the I-270 N and it wanted me to get into the LOCAL (equal to collectors). My brain questioned it but I chose it anyways and eventually of course the local merged with the main and that was it. But same problem. I suspect they are trying to keep "options open" - if you enter express, you eliminate options.

Secondly, what options are there - now or after three years of free maps with Subaru? Do we forever have to pay Subaru to get regular old updates? Or is there some path in the future or even today to go to TomTom and get updates immediately and up to date for a fee? AT least then I could complain about POIs missing and may see them in a future update.

Thanks
belly

·
Registered
130 Posts
Anyone hear anything about a map update? The 2019 cars are coming out and I would not think they would still have the original maps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Subaru navigation system for 2018 (maybe earlier as well) does not show elevation. Now, that's the damnest thing! An inexpensive portable gps has this capability, so why doesn't Subaru/TomTom get it together. does anyone know if a software update can include this? I suspect that most drivers who live in mountainous areas would like to know the elevation---even if its not precise.

·
Registered
2019 Outback 2.5 Limited w ES. Tungsten.
122 Posts
Anyone hear anything about a map update? The 2019 cars are coming out and I would not think they would still have the original maps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We have just got our 2019 Outback. How would I check whether the car has latest mapping? The manual says to go to subaru.ca. Eventually found subaru-maps.com and downloaded the map updater. But it says there are no updates for my 2019 Outback VIN.

Good Youtube video of procedure here:

We have not driven Outback much yet, but in our area on roads that have been there for many years, it does not know the speed limit. It seems to show it as 40 if it doesn't know what it is. Then it showed 60 in 80 areas. It did know the 401 was 100kph! Our portable Garmin with lifetime updates does (and always has) known the speed limits on same roads.

I didn't want the built in NAV, but couldn't get the Limited without it. Maybe there will be an update soon? ?????

·
Registered
2019 Outback 2.5 Limited w ES. Tungsten.
122 Posts
I posted this in other thread, but this is what my 2019 says on System settings:

No 991. Anyone know what all that means? Looks like a 2017 map that has had several updates?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts