Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2018 Outback 3.6R Limited w/ Tech package & Navigation System back in October 2017. After the Sirius XM period expired, I only get live traffic maybe 20% of the time. I live in Richmond Hill Ontario and the navigation system rarely brings up traffic in the GTA. The dealer updated the firmware to 2.17.43.30, haven't noticed an improvement. Anyone having this issue? Thanks

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 2.5 w Eyesight
129 Posts
I despise the Nav system on this car; it is quite possibly one of the worst I've ever used, and I travel for work and rent a lot of cars. It's garbage, but it is TomTom so why would anyone expect any different. Especially now that my head unit has died (apparently not an issue with the 7" non-nav ones). I just use Apple Carplay and Waze.

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
You need an SXM subscription with their navtraffic add on.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Premier
27 Posts
Times two you need the subscription to SXM and the traffic add-on or you can just use Apple CarPlay and Waze which IMO is better anyway.

·
Registered
2019 Outback 2.5 Limited w ES. Tungsten.
122 Posts
Times two you need the subscription to SXM and the traffic add-on or you can just use Apple CarPlay and Waze which IMO is better anyway.
We use our Outback mainly during winter in USA. Just a little in Canada during summer (have other cars). Problem for Waze, Adroid Auto is - we would need to have a US data plan and then that would not work in Canada. We use a pay-as-you-go plan that works in both countries, but data cost too high to leave it on while driving.

I am frustrated with the NAV system. Mapping has many errors, out of date POI's, incorrect speed limits. It will not allow co-pilot to enter an address while we are driving. Voice command for new address does not work at all. Sometimes when a new address is entered using keyboard, it takes forever to find the location. For example, I entered an address we wanted to go to that was 12 miles away. It took 7 minutes to find that address. We could have been 1/2 way there in that time :) Google maps found it and provided route in about 7 seconds!

I would like to provide feedback to Subaru on the NAV system. How do I do that?

·
Registered
2018 Outback Premier
27 Posts
We use our Outback mainly during winter in USA. Just a little in Canada during summer (have other cars). Problem for Waze, Adroid Auto is - we would need to have a US data plan and then that would not work in Canada. We use a pay-as-you-go plan that works in both countries, but data cost too high to leave it on while driving.

I am frustrated with the NAV system. Mapping has many errors, out of date POI's, incorrect speed limits. It will not allow co-pilot to enter an address while we are driving. Voice command for new address does not work at all. Sometimes when a new address is entered using keyboard, it takes forever to find the location. For example, I entered an address we wanted to go to that was 12 miles away. It took 7 minutes to find that address. We could have been 1/2 way there in that time :) Google maps found it and provided route in about 7 seconds!

I would like to provide feedback to Subaru on the NAV system. How do I do that?
I'm with you there the built in nav system leaves a lot to be desired. I use Waze primarily for traffic. Trying to Voice command usually ends up with yelling at the car and giving up. Google maps work really well. as for feedback to Subaru Im guessing that a letter might make you feel better but get the same response as talking to a wall.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I find the maps so out of date I only use Google Maps via CarPlay now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts