Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2018 OB 3.6 Limited, purchased end of March 2018. After a few hundred miles, started roaring/humming while braking; sounded like a front wheel bearing to me.
Took it to dealer and senior tech went for a test ride with me. Tech confirmed it sounded like a bearing that's not bad enough to roar always, just when under braking load. Ordered bearing, which was out of stock at all regional dealers and warehouses. I drove car home, expecting to take it back when part came in.
Days later, dealer service manager calls to tell me that they had a SOA field engineer come out to investigate and drove other like vehicles that had same symptom, then told me mine is operating as designed and that the 3.6 models use the ABS system to supplement braking power, due to extra weight of 3.6 engine; they called it a secondary brake booster.
My problem is this; I drove another identical vehicle for 2 weeks, awaiting the color I wanted, and it didn't have the symptom.
My new car (still less than 2000 miles) didn't have the symptom for the first 300 miles.
The bearing that the 1st tech diagnosed seems to be out of stock everywhere (why is that?)
I'm concerned that SOA has a brake system or wheel bearing problem they don't know how to fix.
Anyone else familiar with this issue? Thanks!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Mine has a noise also. Took it in last week because I was worried that I had a drivers side front bearing going. It makes a noise while accelerating while turning slightly. They had it for 2 hours and think it is a vibration. I told them I was leaving for a trip in a couple of days and was worried about it. They said I should go on my trip and they would look into it when I got back. They actually said if I turned up the radio I would not hear it. Well now I am 650 miles from home and I think it is worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
I purchased my outback a week ago it has less than 100 miles on it now and noticed the same thing. Under hard braking there is a slight hum/vibration . Actually came in here to read if this is normal and or if anyone else has expiriance this.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R limited w/eyesight Subaru Outback....sold my 2011, Subaru Outback, 2,5i Spt Pack.
159 Posts
hmm.....My 2018 3.6R has 22000 km (13750 miles) on it so far since I got it in Sept 2017.
So far I'm not seeing any front braking issues. Then again...I don't recall braking hard since new. I'll try doing one on the way home and observe.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,148 Posts
Pad compound problem?

·
Registered
2018 Limited 2.5i
637 Posts
I was under the impression it was just the pad compound.... but my '18 purchased in may does the same thing. have 2k on it already, but its been doing it since the first week. under heavy braking I hear a hum/roaring on the passenger side. goes away under acceleration. I planned on having them look at it when I get my first oil change.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,705 Posts
to me, some modern 'intermediate' type of ABS could easily have behavior like this. And the reason it may change with time is, tires (and maybe car usage/loading) can change with time.

but I admit it's just a guess - maybe there will be more info soon.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R
3 Posts
2018 3.6 (2050 miles) also. I notice this issue, too. I will be decelerating and the hum / vibration in the pedal will seem to start at the back of the car, then end at the front. This only seems to happen when I'm braking as I go down hills - it doesn't when I am braking uphill or on mostly flat ground.

I called my dealership and described the issue and the tech said that the OB "may use" light ABS to assist with braking. He also said that there are sensors all over the car, so if something goes wrong, there will probably a light on the dashboard that turns on. Coming from a 2017 Crosstrek, I told him I didn't have the same issue in that vehicle. He said that it's a lighter car and probably doesn't have the same kind of brake-assist that the much heavier OB has. I was a little concerned that they said "probably" and "maybe", so I will take it in and have the tech take a look at it.

I took a look at the rotors and pads and it didn't look like anything was worn on them (no scratching, etc.). There's no lights on and the car seems to be doing fine otherwise.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
My 2010 did this at 30,000 miles. I pulled the brake pads twice checking for problems. I couldn’t find any. I and a car buddy came to the conclusion of a material inconsistency in the brake pads causing them to litterally roar when braking. After about 15,000 miles it went away. My second set of brake pads went on at 60,000 miles and have been quiet.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R
3 Posts
Follow up: I took the car to the dealer and tried to repro it during a test drive (and I got a speeding ticket! yay!). Couldn't repro it, but two master techs drove it on I-5 and were able to at that point. Here's what the transcript said:
VERIFIED CUSTOMER CONCERN. FOUND THIS IS NORMAL OPERATION. ROAD TESTED VEHICLE ON I-5 NORTH THEN BACK DOWN I-5 SOUTH WITH TECH <REDACTED>, ALSO VERIFIED NORMAL OPERATION. CHECKED FOR DTC NONE FOUND. SOUND IS COMING [FROM] TRANSMISSION, UNDER DECELERATION, THE CVT WILL ADJUST PULLY RATIOS TO PROMOTE ENGINE BRAKING
So there's that; Appears to be normal, and if anything goes wrong in the future, I'll have the documentation to take it in for a warranty replacement.

edit: spelling.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hi y’all. Just picked up my 18 3.6r. Just drove it home 300 miles from the dealer. I love the car so far !
However I noticed the brake hum/groan. It happens at 50mph and again at 40-45. If I brake at those speeds, Or if I brake when doing say 60mph, it will make the hum/groan feeling at 50 and 45ish every single time. Between 48-45mph it stops, returns again at 45-40mph....then it’s gone completely for the remainder of the stop. Only at those speeds with virtually any amount of pedal pressure. I’ve tried it in neutral and in diff manual gear modes. Same result. I feel it is something in the brake/abs system. But I also feel any new car on the road should not have that. It is minor , but it’s there and most often I’m hitting the brakes at 45mph. So it’s deff noticeable. Dealer is my next visit if it persists another few hundred miles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am having this same issue with my band new 2018, pedal and front end vibrates when braking at speeds over 40mph. I have brought it to the dealer who sanded the pads. This did nothing. I do a lot of up/down hill travel and the fact that my car shakes the entire way down hills is very concerning. I really hope Subaru realizes this is an issue and can find a way to fix it.

Has anyone been able to fix this yet??

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Touring w/ Eyesight
69 Posts
It's interesting reading about this since I had the same problem driving my 2000 Camry. I always attributed it to the tires, since through the years it changed depending which tires were on the car. I've noticed this to a lesser degree on my 2016 Outback, which are still on the original tires. I wonder if tread pattern and compound have anything to do with it since hard breaking would seem to deform the overall tire and tread blocks more as they come in contact with the asphalt, especially in the front where most of the breaking force is.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Does anyone know if the stock pads on new subbie happen to be ceramic? They are always loud in comparison to organic metallic brakes. It's a trade off, performance (no heat fade) for comfort.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,705 Posts
in the past, Akebono ceramic have come as factory pads - but manufacturers change specs and suppliers occasionally.

·
Registered
My wifes 2016 2.5 LTD W/ Everything -and 2" Eco-hitch
189 Posts
Service advisor said the abs works as a booster to help with the additional weight of the 3.6??? Is this true.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,160 Posts
Service advisor said the abs works as a booster to help with the additional weight of the 3.6??? Is this true.
Ask to see some written documentation from Subaru. While you're waiting, find another service advisor.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts