Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2018 OB 2.5i Ltd Magnetite Gray
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for feedback on whether to replace the CVT and front/rear differential fluids for our 2018 OB 2.5L Limited. Car history: purchased March 2018, 36K miles so far; no towing, limited offroad; probably 50% highway/road trip miles/50% typical Bay Area driving (but no daily rush hour commuting). At 30K service, the dealer pushed their all-in package for $1300 (included fluid replacement) versus "minimum factory recommended" service (which didn't) for a fraction of that. Service manual only calls for an inspection at 30K, so I didn't agree (plus balked at their price).

Seems many folks do it anyway, so wondering if our driving history warrants it? The forum threads I found on this topic seem to be more DIY how-tos. I'm not in a position to readily take this work on, and will look to have a Subaru dealer or a local shop perform the work, tied in with my upcoming oil change. At least it'd be à la carte add...

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
9,559 Posts
I do not think it's warranted at 30k - service writers get bonuses when customers pay for unnecessary services.

Having said that, if you can do it yourself and not pay through the nose, it doesn't harm to do extra, but when you're paying for professional labor it doesn't have the same cost/benefit ratio.

The "minimum factory recommended" is all you need.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5
637 Posts
I replaced the differential fluid myself and had a CVT flush at 90K. I don’t do any towing either. I don’t see any reason to do it earlier unless you tow. I had the CVT flush done at the dealer since they have a machine that extracts all the fluid instead of just a drain & fill which only replaces about 5 to 6 quarts. Stay away from mileage based “dealer service deals” and just go with what Subaru recommends unless you like to spend money.

·
Registered
05 GT wagon, 09 Spec B, 18 3.6R Outback
1,123 Posts
Have you looked in the Owners Manual to see when/what Subaru recommends at your mileage ?

Also you can have that maintenance performed at any repair shop which will be able to do the same "required" maintenance for less money, just make sure you keep a copy of what they did. That will serve as your record.

I do all my owner maintenance and keep a little note book where I write in the Date, Mileage and what I did. I have used that book a number of times to have warranty work performed. They will photo copy the book to have the repairs covered under warranty.

In fact I need to update the book for my 2009 Spec B because I replaced the brake fluid yesterday evening using a Motive Pressure Bleeder tank.

·
Registered
2018 OB 2.5i Ltd Magnetite Gray
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all, for the replies and perspectives. I'll stick with the Subaru manual recommendations, and hold off on the fluid replacements.

Reactions: SilverOnyx

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i
2,592 Posts
2014 manual is inpect only and i am sure it is the same from 15+ cars. when I did mine at 30K it came out looking like new. Ditto for my 2010 at 151K...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts