Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback Touring 2.5
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a BlackVue dual dash cam in my 2018 OB Touring.

Using a Power Magic Pro with it. The Power Magic Pro powers your dashcam when the engine is off by hardwiring it to the car battery. A low voltage power cut-off function and a parking mode timer protect your car battery from discharge.

I needed 2 fuses to connect it to. One that is always 12v on and one that is on in the ACC ON position. I did found some that meet this requirement with a tester and everything works as it should. Used Add-a-Fuse/Add-a-Circuit to tap into the fuse box to the bottom left of the steering wheel.

My question: Which fuses would be the best/safest to use for this purpose (assuming I'm not adding a bigger fuse to overload the circuit)? I don't really understand all the abbreviations on the label from the fuses cover. I guess the ACC wire would be best if connected to the Cigarette (7 CIGAR) circuit.

How about the one that is always on, what would be the safest one to use?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the input. So using 7 for ACC and 28 for BAT connection should be ok?

I found another thread where they used 17 for ACC and 37 for BAT:

The AMP rating on the 17 and 37 fuses are lower - both 7.5A whereas fuse 7 is 10A and fuse 28 is 20A. Does that matter in any way? e.g. Is there any pro/con of using 17/37 vs 7/28? The dashcam only uses a 2.5a or 5a fuse (?).

·
Registered
19 2.5i OB LTD w/SSD Strt Twr Brc + OEM 19mm RSB
1,353 Posts
I've never done this type of wiring but, when you use an "Add A Circuit" or "Add a Fuse", you are to remove the fuse that is currently in the fuse block, and install it on the "add a circuit" dongle where instructed for the original fuse.

For the new fuse which will be protecting the wiring to the camera system you should use a fuse that is rated slightly above the "spec" current consumption of the camera. If the camera consumes 1A, then I'd probably use a 2A fuse.

If you are using 2 "Add A Circuit / Add a Fuse" dongles, then I would image the spec sheet of the camera would provide you with the current rating for each function, and you'd use the appropriate size fuse based on the above logic.

If however, only one current consumption value is listed in the specifications, then I suppose I'd use the same rated fuse (for example 2A).

In general when sizing a fuse for a circuit, the fuse should handle the current consumption of the device you are powering, but not too much more. because you want the fuse blowing before the wiring heats, the insulation melts, you have a possible car fire, wiring damage at the very least.

There may be an exception to this, and that is, the size fuse that should be use when you have an inductive load like a motor that is being powered. Then you have to take into consideration the transient "inrush" current which is for a short period of time, higher than the motor needs when at full speed.

I think this is right. Someone correct me if I've gotten this wrong.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts