Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Premium
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I've spent hours searching this forum (and the internet at large) for this information but no luck.

I recently got a 2018 Outback 2.5i and when the first oil change comes I want to replace the OEM oil drain plug with a magnetic one.

I've been trying to find:
1) A place that sells them.

and

2) Confirmation of the thread pitch so I can verify that whatever plug I get will be the right type. (Example: M12 x 1.50)

I'm guessing the 2018 models are so new that the info hasn't really become widespread yet. Does anyone know this info? My oil change is coming soon and I'd really like to have a plug in time.

Bonus: My friend has a 2018 Impreza 2.0 and wants to do the same. I tried looking for him as well but no luck.

Thanks for any help you can give.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 2.5
35 Posts
Fumoto says mine takes a 16mm x 1.5 thread. So that's what I bought from them but have not yet installed.

·
Registered
Outback 2018 2.5i Premium
169 Posts
16mm x 1.5 pitch

I just installed a Fumoto F108N on my 2018 2.5 Outback. Thread was 16mm x 1.5 pitch. I measured it.

I would (did) put in a Fumoto valve. If you are going to have your vehicle long enough to do many oil changes the valve makes WAY more sense than the magnet plug (my opinion). You can always put magnets on your oil filter.

Reactions: provels

·
Registered
2012 OB , 2017 Impreza
3,294 Posts
Many engines have a BUILT IN permanent magnet within engine and xMission which will last the life of the vehicle. For these engines, there is no need to use a magnetic drainplug.

On the other hand, a drain VALVE makes oil-changes SOOOOO nice. (If filter is on the bottom of engine.)
1) Drain oil till it ceases then close valve
2) Move pan under filter and loosen to drain
3) Replace filter
4) MOVE PAN BACK UNDER VALVE and you will get about 1/2 cup more oil out
5) Refill engine with oil from above.

---------------------------
HOWEVER: Any engine I own with filter on top... I do TOPSIDE oil-changes. There is never a need to EVER remove the drain-plug... nor climb under the vehicle.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,154 Posts
You can always put magnets on your oil filter.
Probably worthless, but that's what I do. I have many incredibly strong rare earth magnets I have recovered from dead hard drives. They're so strong that when 2 of them get together, you'd think they were epoxied.

·
Banned
2017 Outback
179 Posts
lots of non magnetic materials used in the engine, so do you guys sleep well at night knowing the magnet is only attracting the magnetic material from the oil?

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,360 Posts
lots of non magnetic materials used in the engine, so do you guys sleep well at night knowing the magnet is only attracting the magnetic material from the oil?
I don't lose sleep over any matter related to my automobiles. It accomplishes nothing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to everyone who responded with answers to my questions - you are a tremendous help.

I may eventually switch over to a drain valve, but for now my oil changes are covered under warranty for at least a few years. When that ends and I start doing my own oil changes again, I'll re-visit the valve option :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
$15-$30 to remove thousands of tiny metal shards from circulation each oil change? It's a drop in the bucket and I think it's a worthy investment. We're talking about a brand new $30k car here. Over several years, the microscopic scratches from all those tiny metal shards add up.

Further, I would argue that removing some of the little metal shards is better than not removing any at all.

I don't lose sleep over it either way, but I do try to make sensible investment decisions. Sometimes one needs to make small investments to protect / prolong their larger investments.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,161 Posts
$15-$30 to remove thousands of tiny metal shards from circulation each oil change?
What happened to your oil filter? Is it missing? ... clogged? ... not working?

IMO, a magnetic drain plug isn't likely to hurt anything ... but there's very little benefit, either.

Reactions: N4HHE

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 2.5
35 Posts
....I may eventually switch over to a drain valve, but for now my oil changes are covered under warranty for at least a few years. When that ends and I start doing my own oil changes again, I'll re-visit the valve option :)
Whaaatt? You have guaranteed oil!?! I don't think my dealer offered that!

Even if they did, I'd probably decline. We had the first one done at the dealer - almost a whole quart overfilled.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

IMO, a magnetic drain plug isn't likely to hurt anything ... but there's very little benefit, either.
Well now you've got me researching the necessity of magnetic drain plugs. I was under the impression that there were super small metal particles that could slip through the filter, so the idea is that the magnet on the plug would catch those.

But now I'm second guessing it... :RTFM:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Whaaatt? You have guaranteed oil!?! I don't think my dealer offered that!

Even if they did, I'd probably decline. We had the first one done at the dealer - almost a whole quart overfilled.
I'll be sure to check the oil level after each service.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I was under the impression that there were super small metal particles that could slip through the filter ...
Any "particles" small enough to pass freely through the filter media are going to be inconsequential ... at least within reasonable limits.

·
Banned
2017 Outback
179 Posts

Subaru doesn't say to not use one, so IOW, since they haven't said NOT to use one, that means you are supposed to use one
or at least that was the logic in a head gasket repair thread about whether to replace the head bolts or not

and maybe they are concerned the upside down oil filter dumps all the particles back in the oil once the engine is turned off
in one of the oil threads, that was what somebody said, and he claimed he was an expert in the industry, so it must be true

·
Premium Member
2017 Subaru Outback 2.5 Limited
58 Posts
I have been using magnetic drain plugs since 2005 on my vehicles. You would be surprised at the amount of metal that is attracted to it. I also put magnets on my oil filters ( except the Volvo Cross Country I use to own with its plastic filter housing :smile2:) for additional protection. My thoughts are that anything caught by the magnets is that much less material clogging the filter media.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Limited, 2013 Tesla Model S 85
1,068 Posts
The primary benefit of magnetic drain plug is the owner’s amusement. There is some benefit in noting the quantity on the magnet is not excessive or unusual.

But consider a quantity of ferrous shavings accumulate on the magnet then get knocked off? Now you have a concentrated clump paertially magnetized circulating. The magnet served to concentrate the problem.

My Mercedes-Benz didn’t have a magnetic drain plug. Want to accuse them of scrimping on cost?

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
There is some benefit in noting the quantity on the magnet is not excessive or unusual.
I agree. I actually still have a magnetic drain plug installed in an '80s vintage General Motors 60-degree V6. The only "metal particles" I've ever found on it were very small in volume and approximately the same fineness and consistency as paint pigment ... never any nuts, bolts, cotter pin fragments, or lost tools.

·
Banned
2017 Outback
179 Posts
I have been using magnetic drain plugs since 2005 on my vehicles. You would be surprised at the amount of metal that is attracted to it. I also put magnets on my oil filters ( except the Volvo Cross Country I use to own with its plastic filter housing :smile2:) for additional protection. My thoughts are that anything caught by the magnets is that much less material clogging the filter media.
for a magnet on the drain plug to attract anything, the particles have to come in proximity to it, and considering it is at the very bottom, and often in an end or corner, the question of the effectivity has to be asked, small particles will remain suspended in the oil and never come close to it and will be removed when you change oil
it certainly doesn't hurt, some of my vehicles have come with magnetic drain plugs (the only vehicle I presently own with one a Fiero), the first time I changed oil was the most particles attracted to it, which seems logical
as for making less material clogging your oil filter, if you change it according to the mfg recommendation, it's not something I would worry about
certainly, if you need a replacement drain plug, may as well get a magnetic one, but if you spend days searching for one, you are obsessing far too much in relation to the benefit

1 - 20 of 20 Posts