Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Premium with Moon Hole.
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Gang, just got a new OB on Superbowl Sunday and completed Phase I of upgrading the car stereo. I've been going all out with car stereo upgrades ever since I started with a new 85 XT Coupe. More recently I had a Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 Digital Sound Processor, along with an amp, powered sub and replacement speakers in a new 07 Outback. The car stereo was one of the main reasons I held onto it, I was not looking forward to starting over. I had decided to leave everything in the 07 except for the powered sub and start over with the new 2018 OB.

Initially I had planned on adding a new amp along with a stand-alone digital sound processor. While researching the latest products from AudioControl, I discovered their D-4.800 Multi Channel Amp (4 x 200 watts @ 2 ohms / 4 x 125 watts @ 4 ohms) along with an integrated Digital Sound Processor. It was installed under the drivers seat. The computer interface via a USB cable is amazing. Too many options to list here, but if you want to know more you can check it out here: https://www.audiocontrol.com/car-audio/power-amplifiers/d-4800/

Here's an example of the Output View:

Sadly I was not too impressed with the overall sound. I wasn't sure what to attribute it to. My first thought was the stock speakers, but I was not ready for the expense to replace them. The installer had warned me that my old self-powered Alpine Sub was likely too underpowered to keep up with the new power going to the other speakers. I spent a lot of time trying to tune things with the DSP, but I never could get it to sound as good as the system in my 07. After a few days I decided to return and go ahead with a Subwoofer and Mono Amp. The shop suggested a JL Audio CS112LG-TW3 Subwoofer/Enclosure along with a Kenwood Excelon XR600-1 Mono subwoofer amplifier — 600 watts RMS at 2 ohms. The sub amp fit right onto the tool tray above the spare tire with the only modification being a small hole for the power and audio cables. I have the sub standing upright, up against the back of the seat facing to the rear.

After spending a few hours with the DSP (yes, I love to tweak), I am now blown away by how great it sounds. Even with the 6 stock speakers and no additional sound dampening in the doors, the sound quality is way beyond anything I had expected. My ears are not what they used to be, but the amount of clean wattage is so over the top that there is no distortion that I can hear at any volume. I had it in the shop yesterday to have body side moldings installed and gave a demo to my salesman. He could hardly believe that he was listening to stock speakers. Not sure how long the stock speakers will last, but for now I am more than satisfied. Next up will be Focal Speakers and Dynamat for the door panels, but that will have to wait awhile!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice, it is amazing how much a decent sub can change a system.
Absolutely! The old sub didn't have enough power to keep up with the other speakers after I added the Amp/DSP. That JL Audio sub is amazing. Can't believe how much bass comes out of such a small enclosure.

·
Registered
'17 3.6R Touring Brillant Brown Pearl
2,424 Posts
We had the JL powered sub in our 08 (wrecked) running thru a Audiocontrol DQ61. It is a great performer. I was seriously considering installing it in our 17. But the HK system seems to hit just hard enough. It's going in my 01 ******, as soon as I can find the time.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, it's the stock head unit. I wish there was a way to disable the bass cut off as the volume goes up. My DSP has a feature to help bring it back, but still.....

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5 | Eyesight | Magnetite Grey
52 Posts
I'm about to put in a Alpine KTP-445U 4-channel Power Pack Amplifier, and Kenwood KSC-SW11 Compact Powered Enclosed in my 2018 premium with the Harman head unit (no amp). I've been reading that adding an amp to the stock stereo disables the Starlink SOS. How did you wire yours in?

Thanks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
2015 OB 2.5 prem NO-HK 6 speak... looking to add amp and new speaks. I await the details on the amp add here. I thought I had seen a thread in Gen 5 that had a thorough upgrade with lots of photos and explanation but I can't find it. Anyone know where that is? Cheers!

·
Premium Member
2019 Outback 3.6R Limited Magnelite Grey and loaded; '98 Legacy Outback Limited MT-53,150 miles!
198 Posts
2015 OB 2.5 prem NO-HK 6 speak... looking to add amp and new speaks. I await the details on the amp add here. I thought I had seen a thread in Gen 5 that had a thorough upgrade with lots of photos and explanation but I can't find it. Anyone know where that is? Cheers!

Can't be https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/104-gen-4-2010-2014/33673-taiguy-s-car-stereo-install-log.html
or https://www.subaruoutback.org/forum...de-amp-speakers-sub-2015-outback-premium.html
or https://www.subaruoutback.org/forum...replacement-sub-amp-addition.html#post4222930

nah, too easy to find.

·
Registered
24 Posts
nah, too easy to find.
Super easy to find! All I had to do was pretend I couldn't find them and they magically appear!

JK... honestly I don't even think any of those three threads are the one I had seen but there is plenty of info in them to get me through my install (which I haven't even started yet) so... Cheers!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts