Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 2.5i
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. new to having a Subaru. i heard that the gas it takes is regular. do you guys just give the lowest octane? any benefits to premium?

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,144 Posts
Hi all. new to having a Subaru. i heard that the gas it takes is regular. do you guys just give the lowest octane? any benefits to premium?
Not in the 2.5 No, just run the cheap stuff, but from a top tier company.

Reactions: Mojic

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 2.5i
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I was reading up on some articles. it's less of an issue now. i guess in the past they used better cleaning agents and such. now its regulated and needs to be in all octanes. the engines are also better now as well and don't get effected as much despite lower octane. my understanding of it is still limited but so long as i know that it doesn't affect the longevity of my car then i'm ok with it.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Touring
54 Posts
Been running the cheap stuff since I got mine in October. No problems whatsoever. Gotta say, it's a lot more pleasant hitting the pump with this than with my previous turbocharged Saab that burned premium.

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
Been running the cheap stuff since I got mine in October. No problems whatsoever. Gotta say, it's a lot more pleasant hitting the pump with this than with my previous turbocharged Saab that burned premium.
If you are not running top tier fuel, the problems caused by using really crap fuel sneak up on slowly.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I run 85 and no issues at all. Here in Colorado, with the altitude, they say that the 85 is the equivalent to 87 at lower altitudes. Sounds like most folks don't even have 85 where they live.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Also, I have never run a top tier fuel in any vehicle I have owned. I have yet to have any fuel system related problems so far. I do run techron every oil change and sometimes add MMO to my fuel so that may be of some help but I cannot say for sure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts