Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While on a family vacation, my Outback suddenly experienced a complete failure of its sound system. No radio, no bluetooth etc. I checked for software updates and checked the fuses; still no resolution. Is there a problem with the amplifiers? I just wanted to get some background on the problem before I schedule a visit to my dealer. Thanks.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
971 Posts
It will probably work again after the car's been powered off. It's a known problem, and the latest firmware hasn't resolved it. There was supposed to be another firmware update available in June, but I don't think it happened. Must still be working the issue.

Of course, you certainly could have had a hardware failure. Does the screen still show everything, just no audio? Then that sounds like a separate issue than what the firmware update is supposed to cover. If it's still out, you absolutely want to get it to the dealer.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Resolution.... for now

I contacted my dealer and they suggested that I disconnect the car battery and wait several minutes before reconnecting. It worked and all is well at this time.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback 3.6r - 2014 Tacoma 4.0 V-6
22 Posts
Get the latest update or ...

I contacted my dealer and they suggested that I disconnect the car battery and wait several minutes before reconnecting. It worked and all is well at this time.
I'm glad to hear the dealer helped to get your tunes hummin again. I would bet that you will have this happen again though. Same thing happened to me only to have the problem resurface. I would get in and have the latest update installed. I did and no problems since. Good Luck!

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forester Premium, Crystal Black Silica, Pkg 15
1,381 Posts
Since they did the "fix" for it in their driveway, is it worth calling the corporate number and opening up a case for it so they can log it and quantify the people having the issues with the infotainment, or do we think the dealer would have kept a record of it?

·
Registered
'16 Outback 3.6R, '14 Silverado 2500HD, '07 E63, '01 911 turbo,
4 Posts
Same issue with my '16 Outback. Occurrs after I received a phone call, and of course, randomly. Powering off the ignition and restarting solved my issue every time. But hard to do when on the road!

·
Registered
2018 Limited 2.5 No eyesight package/no navi
176 Posts
Since they did the "fix" for it in their driveway, is it worth calling the corporate number and opening up a case for it so they can log it and quantify the people having the issues with the infotainment, or do we think the dealer would have kept a record of it?

Absolutely let SOA know. It will stay on their radar if we all complain about our head unit issues and perhaps they will get better programmers to fix the **** thing instead of telling us to do hard resets.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6 R Touring
127 Posts
Mine died. They ordered a new head unit. I guess they will have to reload the newest TomTom. I suppose I will have to contact Sirus with a new radio code too. Thne relink the bluetooth on my phone. What a PITA.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT
460 Posts
Welcome to Subaru's "New and improved" infotainment system. I have the Limited trim and the other day sound only came from the center speaker in the dash. Took me a moment to figure out what the heck was going on. But all it took was changing the source and then back again, and all speakers worked as normal.
But very odd behavior from the infotainment systems for sure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Welcome to Subaru's "New and improved" infotainment system. I have the Limited trim and the other day sound only came from the center speaker in the dash. Took me a moment to figure out what the heck was going on. But all it took was changing the source and then back again, and all speakers worked as normal.
But very odd behavior from the infotainment systems for sure.
Just happened with me.
2019 Outback Limited sound only came from the top right speaker in the dash. Turned off the car, waited a little bit, turned on, everything is working now.

I emailed the dealer telling what happened, so I have a record of the issue if anything happens in the future.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Started my new 1 week old 2019 Outback 2 days ago and no sound from the radio on AM or FM. Had sound on Sirius/XM though. Tried turning radio on and off, did not work, tried lightly pushing button on head unit just in case it was muted, did not work. I went into store to buy groceries and on starting car everything worked fine. Sounds like some kind of software bug in the audio startup procedure.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Started my new 1 week old 2019 Outback 2 days ago and no sound from the radio on AM or FM. Had sound on Sirius/XM though. Tried turning radio on and off, did not work, tried lightly pushing button on head unit just in case it was muted, did not work. I went into store to buy groceries and on starting car everything worked fine. Sounds like some kind of software bug in the audio startup procedure.....
Just had my 2019 Outback at the dealer for an oil change. Noticed on way home, no volume on radio or CD but SIRIUS/XM does. Called the dealer on way home, they offered to set me up for a service appointment. That would be fine if the dealership was less than an hour each way. That means I will have at least 3 hours invested if I decide to schedule an appointment. Radio worked fine as I was driving into the service bay.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts