Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2018 Outback Limited 2.5 - 22,000 miles

Ok, so over the past couple of weeks I have noticed a slight "rattling" sound in the center/right air vent above the headunit but everything has been working fine. Figured when I took it in for the next oil change, I would get it looked at. Then I started noticing the air coming out didn't feel as cool as normal. It's been crazy hot lately here in Alabama (100+) so I figured maybe it was just taking longer to cool off the car.

But this last weekend, I was heading to Atlanta and about 2 hours into the drive on the interstate, 75-80 mph, the air flow dropped to like it was on setting "1." Pushing all the buttons, max air, nothing changed anything. This lasted for a while and I decided to pull over, turn the car off, let it sit for about a minute and hopefully it would "reset" whatever may be wrong.

That actually helped but about 30 minutes later it cut off again going back to that level 1 setting, not blowing cold air. Tried turning off the AC at one point and it didn't turn back on. But after several attempts it turned back on, but only to that level 1 setting. Ther was one point where it wasn't hardly blowing anything, and then all of a sudden it would start blowing again. Seemed like it would work in the mornings on Saturday and Sunday but as the day went on, it would eventually cut out. Needless to say the drive home (and the entire weekend) was not pleasant.

So Monday morning, I wake up early planning on taking it straight to the dealership. Crank it up and it's blowing cold AC like it was brand new! I also noticed the rattle wasn't there. Had a lot of work to do so I figured I would skip the dealership and see how it did. No problems at all on Monday but I still wanted the dealer to look so I took it in later that day. They kept it all day Tuesday and could not replicate any of the issues I told them about.

I know the Forester has had some serious AC issues but I have not found a lot on the Outback. One thing I did notice this morning (Friday) is the rattling sound (very slight) is back. Anybody hear of issues like this or have any idea of what could have caused such a malfunction but then everything work again? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had something very similar on our ‘15 Outback. Came to the forum today looking for answers.....None so far!

·
Registered
995 Posts
Last month my son-in-law came over to do an oil my daughters 2013 OB. He finished the oil change and started the car up to check for any drips or leaks.... I was standing in front of then engine bay when he turned the engine off..... I heard a weird rubbing/scraping noise. We brought the car into the dealership to check it out...... it was a bad compressor at 65k miles.... actually I believe it started to fail two years ago when it wasnt Cooling as it should but dealership ship said it was ok at that time.... it was covered under the extended service agreement..... saved $998.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
1,669 Posts
sounds like a control unit problem. The fan and vents are controlled electronically on that car, dealer should be able to duplicate the issue and my guess is new control unit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts