Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Iphone 6s Plus. It seems like everyday I'm losing my carplay icon and I need to delete my profile for my car on my phone to bring it back. I have a usb stick with music conected to the other usb port. If my Iphone is plugged into a usb port, I can't access the usb stick for media. Is anybody else having these issues???

crm

·
Registered
Former: 2010 & 2002 OB
360 Posts
I assume the iPhone works and plays music if you don't use USB stick? If so, it may be that Apple is trying to force proprietary use of only Apple devices? Not saying that is the functionality you want,just trying ascertain if the behavior is consistent or if it is randomly forgetting the iPhone. I am buying a 2018 and want use iPod and iPhone simultaneously ...wonder if that will work without this problem.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i PZEV Tungsten Outback Limited W/Moonroof, Accessory Value Package A.
114 Posts
I really wish I was not hearing stuff like this about the infotainment system. It makes me think Subaru does not do good testing of their system. While I am not thinking of buying a 2018 just for this autoplay/carplay stuff, sure would like it to work well if its there, even though it is more of a driver distraction than anything else. There probably will be an update that fixes things once all the bugs have been figured out, least lets hope so.

Actually I am looking at 2018 more for the other improvements.

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited XT
336 Posts
I assume the iPhone works and plays music if you don't use USB stick? If so, it may be that Apple is trying to force proprietary use of only Apple devices? Not saying that is the functionality you want,just trying ascertain if the behavior is consistent or if it is randomly forgetting the iPhone. I am buying a 2018 and want use iPod and iPhone simultaneously ...wonder if that will work without this problem.
I can tell you that the system works using an iPod connected by cable to one of the USB ports and an iPhone5 connected by BT. I use the iPod to listen to some 1,500 tracks of music which the STARLINK system handles to my satisfaction. The iPhone goes with me in and out of the car and there are no music tracks on the iPhone. My problem with the 2018 system is that my telephone contacts list works only some of the time on a random basis and all that Subaru Customer Service can offer is "take it to the dealer".

I have to believe that Subaru needs to give us a TSB now to solve these issues.

Fred Meloan

Attachments

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
Deja Vu 2014.2015.2016.2017.2018......

LOL.....and it is always the vehicle, never the crap app or crap app device....

My son so looks forward to owners bringing these issues to his service desk.....

·
Registered
2022 Outback Touring XT. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,496 Posts
Following. I expected issues with the new infotainment system. New stuff usually does have some issues. Hopefully, they can download software updates.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
552 Posts
LOL.....and it is always the vehicle, never the crap app or crap app device....

My son so looks forward to owners bringing these issues to his service desk.....
Some car makers fail year over year to understand that they have to focus more on human machine interface of their infotainment system. It is no longer some optional feature given to buyers as a token of goodwill. Do it right, or enjoy your "Top 10 Worst Automakers in Initial Quality: 2017" list.
Is this stuff as important as mechanical quality? Yes it is, you are stuck with it for the life of the vehicle, so it will be forever nuisance.

·
Premium Member
2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
3,243 Posts
I will have a vehicle that can save my life than one that has a great radio.

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul

·
Registered
Former: 2010 & 2002 OB
360 Posts
I can tell you that the system works using an iPod connected by cable to one of the USB ports and an iPhone5 connected by BT.
I read somewhere that for carplay to function smoothly and not have to be re-paired each time, you have use the physical USB cable and not BT. Would be more of a hassle, but curious if system works as designed when phone is hard wire connected.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I will have a vehicle that can save my life than one that has a great radio.

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul
Why not both? A car that saves your life AND also allows you to use the infotainment system reliably. It is 2017 Yoda!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Limited Forester (hers) (4th Subie), 2014 Impreza Premium (mine)(#5)
2,292 Posts
I read somewhere that for carplay to function smoothly and not have to be re-paired each time, you have use the physical USB cable and not BT. Would be more of a hassle, but curious if system works as designed when phone is hard wire connected.
It takes it a couple of seconds for everything to connect, but I've paired and used CarPlay going between my iPhone 5 and half a dozen different cars using a USB cable, including the new Outback, the Impreza, and now the new Crosstrek.

It's NOT an instant thing - sometimes when I touch an icon on the screen, there is a slight delay. But it does work, and has every single time. Note also that as per the HK engineer at our ride & drive, you MUST use a good quality USB cable. Not a cheap $2 one.

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2021 Outback Limited 2.5L - 🍦The Ice Cream Man🍦
5,606 Posts
To echo what Carl has said I know my people at SOA have advised us to tell customers to only use USB cables that are either brand specific or brand compatible. For example I have a Samsung S7 Active and I use either my Samsung brand USB cable or the Samsung compatible USB cable from Belkin and Android Auto works flawlessly in my 2018 Outback.

I think it may be an Apple thing myself because I have not had a single customer complain about Android Auto in a 2017 Impreza or a 2018 Subaru model with said feature, however, it seems that the only people I keep hearing about who are having issues are ones using Apple products.

This is the USB cable I personally recommend: Belkin MIXIT?? DuraTek? USB-C? Cable Built with DuPont? Kevlar®

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
971 Posts
Just checked sw update and it says my current is up to date:

Rel2.17.22.30

What does the TSB say?
I don't think it's been released for owner download yet. Looks like they're testing it first through dealers only.

·
Registered
2018 3.6 Limited
7 Posts
This is what the salesman who assisted me yesterday at Subaru of Glendale told me. There is not currently support for wireless CarPlay or Android Auto and he was unsure of when that functionality might be supported, if ever.

That said, I'm sure some industrious tinkerers have been able to kludge together a workable, if inconvenient, "fix".

·
Premium Member
2018 3.6R Touring
35 Posts
iPhone 8 wife/8+ me, same genuine Apple lightning cable that stays in car. Use it everyday, never an issue here.

·
Premium Member
2018 3.6R Touring
35 Posts
Nearly all Apple CarPlay implementations are wired USB/lightning.
Aftermarket Alpine head units, some BMW, Mercedes, and Volkswagen limited beta is what I recall rolling out.
Apple has supported wireless since iOS 9, not sure what the hold up is.

I've had CarPlay in my Honda Accord for 18 months, 18' Subaru just a few months - both work fine for me.
Just wish Apple supported Waze better.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts