Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 Outback and I can't seem to find the right sequence to turning off the car and keep my CD playing when restarting. Many times when I start the car I get a message that media is loading and then it never plays. I have to eject the disc and put it back in again. It does remember the spot but it is a real pain. Other times it might actually begin to play. I have tried turning it off before I stop, pausing it, changing to radio. Anyone know what might be the problem or the right shut down sequence?

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited
208 Posts
Yeah, same here, exactly as you describe. I posted on it about a month ago elsewhere in the forum and either got zero or a couple of no help responses. One being something to the effect of "who uses CD'd these days?" I didn't even want to validate the sarcasm then but will now I suppose in that I still got a bunch of CD's. Not my only music option by any stretch. I use Spotify a lot and prefer it. I use Serius, thumb drive, and even some FM. But even though CD's can be cumbersome to a degree, I like the option now and then. I'll throw 3 to 5 in the glovebox and rotate them.
I've been back to the dealer only once, the clutz there didn't know anything nor offer any type of solution or concern even. Maybe it'll get fixed down the line in a firmware update or something. I find the other quirk with the radio not shutting off and/or coming back on with the next start up more annoying but have learned to live with it too. I like the vehicle, really do, having had it for a month or so and 1700+ miles. It's a nice functional multi purpose vehicle, with a few quirks.

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Outback 3.6R Touring arrived 8/31/2017
343 Posts
I used to work in a CD-ROM premastering department of a Sony-owned subsidiary and I've yet to try out the CD player in my car to verify it works: technology marches forward and leaves old stuff at times in a state of being defective.

·
Registered
2018 Outack Limited, with Eyesight (Canadian model) Crystal white pearl, black leather interior
84 Posts
I have the same problem, says loading and never does. Eject and put back in is a pain. A $40,000 vehicle should not have this issue.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback, 2.5L
21 Posts
I use a thumb drive to play my music, and it switches to radio every time i turn off the car. I pressed Media Player (while the car was off), and that seemed to make it want to look at the USB every time i crank up the car. It still plays the radio for a second while it's loading though.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited with Eyesight, 2016 Honda Odysey
2 Posts
I have the exact same problem.

Plan to bring it up on my "Subaru Love Encore" delivery meeting in one week

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Outback 3.6R Touring arrived 8/31/2017
343 Posts
I use a thumb drive to play my music, and it switches to radio every time i turn off the car. I pressed Media Player (while the car was off), and that seemed to make it want to look at the USB every time i crank up the car. It still plays the radio for a second while it's loading though.
I've noticed a pattern in the software of both choosing stupid defaults and not respecting your past settings you've made.

Truly lazy software developers and poor software QA.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited, Ice Silver/Titanium Gray Leather Interior
272 Posts
I have Same issue in my 2018 Outback Limited. The iPod,and Bluetooth do not always initialize either.

You would think they have to fix this Yes? It seems pervasive.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
1,107 Posts
Every manufacturer should write their infotainment software in open source code so that enterprising programmers can write better code for owners to download onto a USB flash drive and upgrade their system. I'd love to have mine remember what track I was playing on my USB drive and not force a complete rescan every time I start the [email protected]$$!! engine!

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Limited w/EyeSight
207 Posts
About the only thing that the head unit in the 2018 does right is CarPlay. Between blasting the radio when you turn off the cat, forgetting CDs, and forcing reindexing of USB media *every* time, pretty much nothing else worse satisfactorily. I've found that the my phone and the radio are the only sources of input that I can reliably use. I'm not sure why these problems are normal for a $35,000 Outback when my $18,000 Kia handled all inputs perfectly fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem with my 2018 outback limited. My sales person didn't seem to have heard about it before, said the 2018s have a completely new head unit. Sounds like they have yet to get the bugs out...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Same problem with the CD player. It should start playing the same song when you restart the car, but it is silent. Once it started up by itself at some point during my drive. Get media loading message and had to re-insert CD.

·
Registered
2017 OB 2.5 Premium w/ES 2002 2.5 OB 142k mi
301 Posts
Guess I'll keep my 2017. CD player works perfectly and since I hate MP3 and don't have a smart phone that's what I use away from the Bay Area.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same problem, says loading and never does. Eject and put back in is a pain. A $40,000 vehicle should not have this issue.
Same problem in 2018 Legacy. Anyone have an answer? Would it help to disconnect battery and reboot all computers? Has Subaru come up with a fix?

·
Registered
4 Posts
2018 Legacy

Same problem with Legacy. Any solution yet? Would it help to disconnect battery to reboot all computers? Has Subaru come up with a fix? My dealer knows nothing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the exact same problem in my 2018 Outback. I also had channels playing when they weren't being chosen and finally the audio stopped working. Today they replaced the radio and CD player and told me that i would need to come back for a new amplifier. And guess what? The new CD player is doing the exact same thing as the other one. It will play a CD when it's put in, but once the car is stopped, it gives the "media loading" message until you pop it out and put it back in.

·
Registered
2007 Outback L.L. Bean 3.0, 2018 Outback Limited 3.6R
156 Posts
The issue with a CD not automatically reloading upon restart of the car is apparently a generic bug in the headunit that has been reported to Subaru. Regarding music on an iPod or a USB stick not restarting, check out Page 65 of the Starlink manual. In the General Settings Menu, Item 10, Select to set whether to automatically start playing when an iPod or a USB memorydevice containing audio files is connected. The factory default weapon is apparently "off." I was having the USB stick problem, and changing that menu setting took care of it. I don't know about fixing an iPod or Carplay problem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I notice the same issue with the radio. No matter how I leave the car as soon as I start it up again the radio seems to automatically come on. I have tried turning the radio off just before I leave the car to be sure it's not me, but start up the next time and the radio comes on automatically. I've learned to live with it as I usually turn the radio on anyway or I just push the volume button to mute the radio. Not a big issue but you would think it wouldn't work that way.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts