Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a heavy storm, eyesight driver assist and lane departure(?) turned on and off periodically. Is this normally what happens in severe weather? I ask because when i first took delivery I was told to turn these features off when i went through a car wash because the system cant handle the influx of info from all the movement.

thanks

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
In a heavy storm, eyesight driver assist and lane departure(?) turned on and off periodically. Is this normally what happens in severe weather? I ask because when i first took delivery I was told to turn these features off when i went through a car wash because the system cant handle the influx of info from all the movement.

thanks
Check your Eyesight manual.....tells you all about it.

·
Registered
considering buying Outback
82 Posts

thanks
Don't use those drive through wash its bad for the paint and strips off the wax unless you watch/believe commercials about magical waxes

·
Registered
65 Posts
You turn it off in a car wash because it'll lock up the brakes thinking the wash brushes are an obstacle.

The system can turn off if the rain is hard enough that it doesn't get good solid views.

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Outback Limited, CVT, Nav, Eyesight and the rest of the safety stuff.
171 Posts
Long story short, if it can't "see", it turns itself off. It will also shut off in heavy snow or if it gets "blinded" by oncoming headlights. And there are probably a couple things I haven't run up against yet.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R LBP "Dingo"
643 Posts

thanks
yes, that's what will happen. It will also shut off if the windshield fogs up - if you can't see, neither can the eyesight.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium Tungsten/Black
86 Posts
Long story short, if it can't "see", it turns itself off. It will also shut off in heavy snow or if it gets "blinded" by oncoming headlights. And there are probably a couple things I haven't run up against yet.
Mine has shut off temporarily when its been bright early morning or evening sunshine. The sun has to be low in the sky and it comes back on a short way up the road when either the sun or car has moved.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
You turn it off in a car wash because it'll lock up the brakes thinking the wash brushes are an obstacle.

The system can turn off if the rain is hard enough that it doesn't get good solid views.
Seriously? Did you just make that up? I've been through the car wash several time with my 16 OB and Legacy WITHOUT turns any of the systems off and never have I experienced a problem.

Just imagine a single incident that occurred as you claim and SA having to put a dashboard notice out that says "DO NOT DRIVE THROUGH CAR WASH WITH DRIVER ASSIST YSTEMS ON"

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,548 Posts
From the 2016 Legacy/Outback EyeSight Owners Manual:
• In the following situations, turn off the Pre-Collision Braking System. Otherwise
the Pre-Collision Braking System may activate unexpectedly.
- When using a drive-through car wash

Reactions: Hilola

·
Banned
6,264 Posts

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
From the 2016 Legacy/Outback EyeSight Owners Manual:

Ok..you didn't make it up..... you found the SOA legal beagle's CYA statement.....which is all it is.

For your reading pleasure is an article about this issue...... toyota's pre-collision system seems to be the one most concerning.... which is likely the paronoid SOA legal beagle's are responding to. Not Subaru issue has been reported. Also, there's an existing thread on the topic.....

Can your car get through the wash? | Autoweek

As you read the thread, please note regarding service techs need to shut system off before driving inside service areas and prior to lifting vehicle. I would be willing to bet the techs do not ever shut the system off. Also take note about the vehicle being in neutral vs drive

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/138-gen-5-2015-present/207961-eyesight-automatic-car-wash-3.html

Bototom line - it's an urban legend struggling for credibility.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Ok..you didn't make it up..... you found the SOA legal beagle's CYA statement.....which is all it is.

For your reading pleasure is an article about this issue...... toyota's pre-collision system seems to be the one most concerning.... which is likely the paronoid SOA legal beagle's are responding to. Not Subaru issue has been reported. Also, there's an existing thread on the topic.....

Can your car get through the wash? | Autoweek

As you read the thread, please note regarding service techs need to shut system off before driving inside service areas and prior to lifting vehicle. I would be willing to bet the techs do not ever shut the system off. Also take note about the vehicle being in neutral vs drive

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/138-gen-5-2015-present/207961-eyesight-automatic-car-wash-3.html

Bototom line - it's an urban legend struggling for credibility.

I'm glad for you that the car wash you use isn't an issue.

I was told when I purchased the car to turn off eyesight before using a car wash.
I've also turned off the wrong system by mistake and had my car come to a complete stop while trying to exit a touch less carwash that had the fold down dryer at the end. So... I wouldn't say an urban legend.

Service procedures aren't the be all end all of how stuff works either.
My wife drive a 2008 Toyota Prius with HID headlights. If the dealer were to replace the bulbs it costs around $450 each and the front bumper is supposed to be removed according to the tech manual. There are plenty of independent shops that can replace the bulbs with out taking the bumper off. I personally did it my self this weekend with out removing the bumper.

·
Premium Member
7,548 Posts
I was simply citing factual information relevant to the discussion. Of course, you are entitled to your opinion.

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
How do you know that is all it is? Any Subaru documentation you can point to that supports that claim?

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
355 Posts
I notice that the Eyesight manual also makes a big deal about keeping the windshield clean and covering the camera lenses before cleaning the inside of the windshield. Anyone have and experience along this line? Seems like a PITA if you clean the windshield very often.

·
Premium Member
7,548 Posts
Anyone have and experience along this line? Seems like a PITA if you clean the windshield very often.
If the windshield is fogged or dirty, EyeSight can't "see" the road clearly. But you don't ever want to touch the EyeSight camera lenses or get cleaning fluid on them. Overspray from cleaning fluid is probably the biggest danger here. If you're doing it yourself, just apply cleaning fluid to the cloth you're using rather than spraying it directly on the windshield, and be careful to avoid the two lens hoods while wiping the windshield surface. If somebody else is doing the job, the best bet is to shield the lens hoods while they're working; small Post It notes work fairly well and are easy to remove.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver
433 Posts
Seriously? Did you just make that up? I've been through the car wash several time with my 16 OB and Legacy WITHOUT turns any of the systems off and never have I experienced a problem.

Just imagine a single incident that occurred as you claim and SA having to put a dashboard notice out that says "DO NOT DRIVE THROUGH CAR WASH WITH DRIVER ASSIST YSTEMS ON"
My Subaru salesman said to turn it off if you were going to go thru the car wash.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver
433 Posts
Killer, you obviously don't live in a climate that never goes above freezing from December through February.
Agreed. I used to think that about drive thru carwashes and then my wife's 2005 Saturn Vue that was never was waxed and she drove her car thru the car wash at least every other week for 10 years and the paint looked just fine.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts