Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I've been following and read through multiple threads regarding hitch selection (subaruoutback.org/forums/130-towing/297665-trailer-hitch DOT html) and it seems like the Ecohitch is one of the top recommended. Is this still compatible with the 2018? I spoke with Torkliftcentral.com regarding their hitch and they don't have it officially approved for 2018 models yet

TIA!

·
Registered
'99 Outback, '05 Outback, '15 Legacy, & Soon '18 Outback
38 Posts
Hey all,

I've been following and read through multiple threads regarding hitch selection (subaruoutback.org/forums/130-towing/297665-trailer-hitch DOT html) and it seems like the Ecohitch is one of the top recommended. Is this still compatible with the 2018? I spoke with Torkliftcentral.com regarding their hitch and they don't have it officially approved for 2018 models yet

TIA!
I too have decided on the Ecohitch. You are right that the Torklift website is not yet updated specifically for 2018, but I'm going to be ordering it very soon for my 2018 3.6R Touring which is on order. I'll give them a call first, but my best guess is that there should be no reason the 2018 would be any different than the other 2015-2017 Gen 5 models regarding the hitch mounts.

·
Registered
2018 2.5 Outback
82 Posts
Let us know tpa55 if it fits. I have a 2018 that I want to install EcoHitch on.

·
Registered
2019 Bronze Limited
205 Posts
Same here...I had a Torklift Ecohitch on a previous model Outback, and I want to get one on my new 2018, but Torklift hasn't aproved the new one yet. If you order it let me know if it fits.

·
Premium Member
2018 3.6R Touring
35 Posts
I'm taking my 2018 to Torklift on Monday 9/11 to allow them to test fit/measure the 2017 ecohitch.
I'd guess they should have their website updated next week if it fits.

Maybe in a week or two if they need to redesign for 2018?

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Touring Outback
26 Posts
I'm looking at purchasing a new Touring OB and I see that you have a hitch option to purchase. Is the Torklift Ecohitch an updated option or do I need to order the Subaru hitch in order to use the Ecohitch? I'm wanting to put on a swing away bike rack hitch.

·
Registered
'99 Outback, '05 Outback, '15 Legacy, & Soon '18 Outback
38 Posts
Let us know tpa55 if it fits. I have a 2018 that I want to install EcoHitch on.
Just got word that my 3.6R Touring has arrived at the dealer. Hope to take delivery this Friday. The EcoHitch was ordered and has arrived at the installer, so just need to make appointment after I pick-up the car. I'm guessing that there should be no differences in hitch installation between 2017 and 2018. At least that's the gamble I'm taking. Will let you know for sure once it's done in another week or so. will send pics to EcoHitch as well.

·
Registered
2019 Bronze Limited
205 Posts
Kmann, the Subaru Factory hitch is bolted to the same bolts that hold the bumper on, which is also where the Ecohitch mounts. Most aftermarket hitches bolt underneath the frame and require some drilling/modification. Not so with these two. The reason a lot of us go with the Ecohitch instead of the facotry hitch, is the factory hitch is a 1 1/4" tube, and the Ecohitch is a 2" receiver.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Touring Outback
26 Posts
Kmann, the Subaru Factory hitch is bolted to the same bolts that hold the bumper on, which is also where the Ecohitch mounts. Most aftermarket hitches bolt underneath the frame and require some drilling/modification. Not so with these two. The reason a lot of us go with the Ecohitch instead of the facotry hitch, is the factory hitch is a 1 1/4" tube, and the Ecohitch is a 2" receiver.
Cool. I found out the hitch bike rack I want needs a 2" receiver. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a new OB. I'm thinking I might have the dealer install the after market Ecohitch as part of my purchase. It might cost a little more, but it will be good to go. I really need this right away. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Touring
27 Posts
I'm taking my 2018 to Torklift on Monday 9/11 to allow them to test fit/measure the 2017 ecohitch.
I'd guess they should have their website updated next week if it fits.

Maybe in a week or two if they need to redesign for 2018?
How did it turn out? Does the 17 fit as is, or is there a modification to fit the 18?

·
Premium Member
2018 3.6R Touring
35 Posts
How did it turn out? Does the 17 fit as is, or is there a modification to fit the 18?
Sorry for the tease and hitch delay. Ran into issues getting my Outback over trade negotiations.
May be this week or as late as the 25th. 2018 3.6R are hard to locate in this area - especially when I only want a blue Touring.

·
Premium Member
2018 3.6R Touring
35 Posts
Just got a call from my point of contact at Torklift.
The 2017 and 2018 Outback are the same measurements for echohitch installation.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts