Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy! My Outback has a knocking sound in the front driver side when my wheel hits bumps. I have an extended warranty but the dealer wants to charge me $190 for diagnostics if I bring it in and the item isn't covered so I'm hoping to figure it out beforehand and make sure its a covered item.

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
11,058 Posts
Unfortunately it could be a bunch of things but my first guess would be sway bar endlinks.

I've never had the extended warranty but it strikes me as surprising that they want $190.00 up front for diagnostics. Is this typical?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately it could be a bunch of things but my first guess would be sway bar endlinks.

I've never had the extended warranty but it strikes me as surprising that they want $190.00 up front for diagnostics. Is this typical?
No idea if its typical. They don't want the money up front but said if they check it out and don't find anything that they would charge me $190 for the diagnostics. If they find something that isn't covered under my warranty then I assume I will either have to pay them to fix it, at super high rates, or I'll have to pay the $190 for diags if I take it someplace else. I never take my vehicles to the dealer shops because of crap like this but I bought the warranty and now I'm in this pickle. My other option is to wait until my next service interval and ask the place I take it for regular maintenance to take a look. I know they won't charge me because I do a lot of business there for years but I have another 2500 miles before my next service is due. The noise is really bothersome and I'd like to get it taken care of sooner.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
11,058 Posts
If the warranty is a genuine Subaru Extended Warranty you could call Subaru's 1-800 number to ask about covered services and if diagnostics are not covered if there isn't a covered repair associated with it.

(800) 782-2783

Aside from things like having sunglasses in the sunglass holder, something clunking in the glove compartment or spare tire well, etc, I would imagine any loose or worn suspension parts - struts, ball joint, sway bar and endlinks, tie rods, control arms, subframe bolts, transmission mount, engine mounts, pitch stop, would all be covered - can you verify?

Reactions: gfusmith

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the warranty is a genuine Subaru Extended Warranty you could call Subaru's 1-800 number to ask about covered services and if diagnostics are not covered if there isn't a covered repair associated with it.

(800) 782-2783

Aside from things like having sunglasses in the sunglass holder, something clunking in the glove compartment or spare tire well, etc, I would imagine any loose or worn suspension parts - struts, ball joint, sway bar and endlinks, tie rods, control arms, subframe bolts, transmission mount, engine mounts, pitch stop, would all be covered - can you verify?
Thanks! I will call them tomorrow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts