Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently bought a new 2018 Outback Limited 4 cylinder. Our first Subaru and are enjoying the car very much. However, there seems to be a problem with the auto door unlock feature. I had the auto unlock set to unlock when driver's door opens. Well, that will work for about 4 times and then it stops working. What I mean is the driver's door will open, because the driver is opening it, but any passenger doors can't be opened from the outside. So, after going grocery shopping (for example) and wanting to get groceries out of the floorboard at the rear seat area, that rear passenger door (driver's side) won't open. None of the passenger doors will open from the outside. I've tried turning the auto unlock off and back on to driver door setting a couple of times and it will work for about 3-4 times and stop working. I've also tried changing the settings from the center touch screen and also from the i/set buttons on the steering wheel. No love either way. Currently I've set it to putting the car into and out of park so we'll see if it works better that way.
Regardless of setting it should always work and not suddenly stop working.
Anyone else with this car having this problem, fixed it, and what was done to fix it? I know it's a warranty case, but asking this way first.
Note that I searched and couldn't find this particular problem so that's why I've started a new thread. Please point me to related threads in case I missed them in my search.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I've been meaning to come back to this. We've been using the auto unlock when putting it in park for some time now. Basically since I started this thread.
Had the same problem with it working for 4 times and then stop working. However, and this is interesting. After the second time of 4 and stop, I reset the auto unlock hoping 3rd time is the charm. And, it was! It's been working flawlessly since then.
I'm hesitant to go back to the door open auto unlock but probably should just to satisfy my curiosity if the entire thing is "fixed" now.

·
Registered
2018 2.5 Limited Outback
8 Posts
thanks for the update on this! i was having this problem sporadically for the past several weeks so i will work on resetting it several times and hopefully that helps!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the update on this! i was having this problem sporadically for the past several weeks so i will work on resetting it several times and hopefully that helps!
I hope you will report back if it starts working or not.

I've decided not to try using the driver's door open for the auto unlock. It's working when putting the car in park and it seems most cars use that as the unlock trigger, makes sense, so I'll just leave it there.

·
Registered
2004 35th Aniversey Addition Outback ,2018 2.5I limited Outback
9 Posts
If have noticed when I put the car in park and open the drivers door with the motor running, the other doors will not unlock.
They will all unlock when the engine is off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If have noticed when I put the car in park and open the drivers door with the motor running, the other doors will not unlock.
They will all unlock when the engine is off.
Thanks Ken. Yeah, I think them not unlocking with the motor running is normal. I was referring to only when turning the the motor off. Good to know yours is working correctly when you turn the motor off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts